Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   New garage for him. New studio for her (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/110046-new-garage-him-new-studio-her.html)

REPTYL 04-07-2011 10:46 PM

New garage for him. New studio for her

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure how many people are interested in another Garage build, guess I'll put it out there and see.

Want a new garage but not sure how to get it past the boss?
I have the solution:
Bottom level for me. Top story for her.

Win-win...the bigger I want to go on the garage, the bigger her area becomes above.

Plans were in at Council about a month after Stiffy started on his garage all those months ago. This gave me a good chance to view his plans prior to mine going in. (and yes I am a few inches bigger) :)

I'm a few weeks in to the build now but I'll start the photos from day 1 and add more when I find the time.
Attachment 18546

REPTYL 04-07-2011 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's an early draft showing the existing and new garage areas.
The old garage was a standard double 6m X6m.
Attachment 18547

Gav 04-07-2011 11:04 PM

Sorry Jason, that looks like an escavator to me :)

Aussie Mike 04-08-2011 12:03 AM

Looks good Jason, I'm keen to see another garage build. They are nearly as interesting as Cobra builds.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

boxhead 04-08-2011 12:06 AM

Good stuff Jason, more Cobra sheds the beter.

And I am glad it is bigger than Stiifys, I have heard he has a little one :)

stephen low 04-08-2011 01:55 AM

Looks like a 300 square house - 250 squares of garage and 50 of house

But then they do say you never have enough storage space!

Await with interest the as built pics.

Modena 04-08-2011 02:39 AM

excellent, the more garage builds the better!

Rob. Smith 04-08-2011 03:10 AM

WOW...That's a big shed. Two stories as well........don't mention about fumes rising or you might end up with the top level ???

Zedn 04-08-2011 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob. Smith (Post 1121486)
WOW...That's a big shed. Two stories as well........don't mention about fumes rising or you might end up with the top level ???

:LOL: I know what that is like. My lounge room is on top of the garage. There is literally just a timber floor and carpet seperating them. Not only does the grinder stop the wife hearing the TV, but shes not a happy camper when the fibreglass resin gets mixed up or the spray gun comes out.

REPTYL 04-08-2011 05:08 AM

The big escavator dug through the 2 meters of rock at the back corner.
The little one cleaned it all out and had to dig the front trench 2 metres deep to get to the original ground level.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...m/IMG_0915.JPG
Took 17 metres of concrete just to fill the trenches to 500mm below finish height. (did this to stop any cave-ins, as rain was on the forecast).
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...m/IMG_0917.JPG

boxhead 04-08-2011 05:14 AM

Holy crap, those footings are enough to anchor the Titanic.

beauies 04-08-2011 05:18 AM

You sure its not an archaeology dig site?

skippy 04-08-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beauies (Post 1121499)
You sure its not an archaeology dig site?

Lol, had the same thoughts.

Mate, your living the dream, over here in Europe a garage like this is a dream, unless you live out in the sticks.

I bought a double garage 40sqm in a apartment Building and it cost me an arm and a leg for.

Great thread and look forward to seeing more pics on your progress.

Best of luck mate.

Skippy.

REPTYL 04-08-2011 05:40 PM

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../IMG_09211.JPG

Ready for another 26 metres of concrete.
The two back walls have been engineered to retain 2.5 metres behind them.
This explains the wide footings to the back and the massive amount of mesh and bars.

OZCOBRA 04-08-2011 06:04 PM

...yes one would expect a STRONG ERECTION with that!!:D

Gav 04-08-2011 06:56 PM

that is going to be a kick ass garage!!
How many collector cars will you need to fill it?

tkb289 04-08-2011 07:46 PM

Jason,

Interested in following your shed build. There is an impressive amount of concrete and steel so far, are you building to code or beyond what is required?

- Tim

guye 04-09-2011 01:14 AM

By comparison, my little 4m x 5m lean-to is well, somewhat embarrassing. :o

Looks good Jason! I might have to come up so I can change my fuses (no room in my shed to do that!).

REPTYL 04-09-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkb289 (Post 1121638)
Jason,

Interested in following your shed build. There is an impressive amount of concrete and steel so far, are you building to code or beyond what is required?

- Tim

In Australia you have a local planning code to adhere to, and the building permit and engineering are done separately.

Got the plans through the local council without issue, as size and setbacks were all within standard specs.

The engineer went to town with the retaining walls, they are 300mm thick at the base, and core filled to the roof with vertical rio every 200mm and rio along the whole length every 2nd coarse of blocks. And as you can see it all ties back in to a huge amount of concete in the slab.

So to answer the question: yes it is to code (but I think the engineer has gone to the extreem a little).

REPTYL 04-09-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav (Post 1121633)
that is going to be a kick ass garage!!
How many collector cars will you need to fill it?

I'd love some big US muscle in there.
It should be finished just in time to see the Aussie$ hit 120US$.:)

Only problem is I don't think I'm going to have any money left by then:(