Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-13-2011, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3510 L98
Not Ranked     
Default High back seat for CR

Hi all

this is my first time with a posting for the site but have been following the coming and goings on over the last year or so. It almost seems like i know some of you which I hope doesn't sound like a weird strange thing to say !

What I am throwing out their is that I would like to find out if anyone has or knows of a CR that has got a high back seat / or one that really can offer support to your head if you were to receive an impact to the rear of the car. I have already made the purchase of seatsframes from Ian at CR but have realised now that they don't suit my needs.

Photos might also help?

I have already got a suss neck and back and can't afford to add to my issues.

Once i get a handle on using the site i will be posting some pix .

Nerviously waiting any response !
Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Hey Scoob, don't panic we are all freinds here even though it may not seem it from time to time.

One of the CR guys has used MX5 seats with some success, this may be what you need.
I have used SAAS seats which are a discontinued model but even these where not really high enough to properly support your neck.

Have you considered a separate headrest mounted to the roll bar? They could then be removed if you are after an 'original' look.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Check with your engineer about which ADR you are required to comply with. In NSW the seats must have a head rest that is around 860mm high. This is level or above the top of your head. The ADR states they have to be 800mm above a reference point that represents your hip. I havnt yet been able to find out exactly what this is and my engineer wasnt able to tell me with out doing a bit of research. 860mm should be safe based on previous discussions on this forum.

The MX5 seats are not tall enough to comply with the current ADR (See Baz's post).

You could try late model RX7 or RX8 depending on the style you want. I have RX7 seats, there is a pic in my gallery if you clieck the camera under my name.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

Don't know if they will fit in a CR yet, would really like to know if they do.

The new mitsubishi colt has factory recaro seats, seats are about 480 wide at top of base, 530 wide at ribs, with back rest around 850ish

If these dimensions work please let me know
Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Welcome along Scoob, I can not help you with your question, but I will say to be careful of what Gav says.
I have heard that Lab's sometimes do bite.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the Nut House Scoob....

I went looking for High back seats for the previous Cobra...

While looking for a set of MX5 seats...
Came across a set of RX7 Series 6 Seats...

High back like I wanted in that car....and a bit more substantial than the MX5 seats... A Bit wider across the back, made them support better when cornering.

I sat in a few with the MX5 seats, and was convinced the RX7 ones were much more comfortable.

Not sure if there's many around , but might be worth the search.

Failing that....
Just look at COBRA Seats.....some examples on this site.

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au...php?PCID=11045

Cheers,
Warren.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Looking at Wazza seats reminds me of Honda S2000 seats I looked at at one stage. Were a tad pricey but didn't fit my car anyway.

Fortunately mine went through at a time when MX5 seats were legal, they might still be done here in Victoria, but it sounds like they are not a choice for you.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Well Thank's for the warm welcome !

Gav ; I had that suggestion for the MX5 seat and it might be an option if it is not to thick in the base and the back as I am a short 6 foot 3 and dont want to lose any leg room. SAAS seat you spoke of was that a fibre glass bucket or adjustable back ?A fibre glass seat with minimal padding would give me extra leg room but i am a bit worried about the look. but is all about compramise.

Head rest on the roll bar may be an option but the engineer will need to let me know if that will work in SA.

Zedn : ADR's on this ? ill be checking tomorrow, and did take a look at your pix and that looks the goods.

Beauies ; Ill let you know if the dimentions work for me thanks.

Boxhead ; Yes I should watch out for people I don't know, I am sur I was told that once.

Wazza ; Hey they look tidy , they will make the list for mor investigation.

Stephen low ; most things Honda are not cheap and might be hard to find.

Scoob
Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Welcome Scoob.

My wife sometimes reminds me that I have had about 4 sets of seats in my CR. There is not a lot of room to fit Euro 4 style seats, but it can be done.

As others have mentioned, it is very strict in NSW but may not be in SA.

I think you need to talk to Mando, he is down your way and has currently got my old MX5 seats on loan....

Ben
Old 04-13-2011, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So are the MX5 seats with mando because you did get the fit you were looking for ?

And the other half is watching my build budget like a hawk so I can't afford to get it wrong again and being in the end phase of the build there is not much left to go of the budget.

Mando might alow me to get a look at that type of set ,thanks for the help

Scoob
Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Warwick Harrison has recently modified his seats to fully comply with new ADR requirements. Worth looking at as they are narrow and made for Cobras. I have his older seats and they are very comfortable and supportive.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     
Default Anybody shipped a car from USA to Australia?

Oops. Wrong spot
Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 04-13-2011 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: I put it in the wrong spot
Old 04-13-2011, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scoob,

I have a set of cheap SAAS seats for the street, and a set of Cobra classic seats for racing.

The MX5 seats were fitted earlier but got knocked back at engineering. They may be still legal in SA.

Cheers,

Ben

Cobra

SAAS

MX5
Old 04-13-2011, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hi Scoob,

I was in Revolution Racegear the other day and noticed they had the Cobra brand seats that looked pretty good fit for Cobra's. I think this brand is also sold at many other places as well. I am not sure of their ADR status though.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 04-13-2011, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default MX5 seat option

Scoob

I did say the Honda seats were $xxxy so no surprise there.

I've uploaded pictures here to show you the modficiations I made to my MX5 seats to get better room and adjustment into my G Force. These also show you the skeleton of these seats and how simple they are to play with compared to other options.

I narrowed the width of my seats by 50mm to enable me to get them further back into the G Force cockpit. You may not need to do this with your kit though. And as I'm not a large butt boy the thinning of the seat width hasn't affected the seating comfort for me.

Seat pan and spot welding on 50mm overlap. I simply overlapped each edge and aligned the two sets of parallel holes now seen as one in this picture and had each edge spot welded. The seat cushion was simply cut down to refit into the narrowed pan. This also allowed me to rejuvinate the steelwork, as these seats do suffer from rust and are uncoated in the standard form.

Total seat frame skeleton after narrowing.

The rear - back frame has a solid bar across the bottom and support plate part way up. I simply cut out the gap in the bar but did insert a stiffener into the tube for rejoining and like the seat pan just cut and overlapped the support plate and rewelded.

Retrimmed finished product

The critical issue first is whether the MX5 seats meet the SA ADR's being pushed, if so I can attest to these seats being very comfortable and even in standard form are one of the smallest production seats around.

If I had to do this again I'd have a look at the seats from a number of small cars including those smart cars, some of the older suzukis including the mighty-tiny boy, cappuccino and other variants.

The work above all up including seats cost me $1000. But am sure a standard set of MX5 seats in non leather might only be about $400 for a pair.

Choose wisely though if you are on budget constraints and hope this helps.

Have fun!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

So you can't buy MX5's in NSW?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraigau View Post
So you can't buy MX5's in NSW?
Lol,

I am sure newer MX5 seats comply, but would be very hard to find in wreckers.

Old style MX5 seats are relatively easy to find.

Ben
Old 04-13-2011, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Scoob, I think you need to be informed now that when building a Cobra you will end up buying multiples of many of the components for your car.
It might be seats, it might be gearboxs (in my case I am onto my third).

Becuase these cars are all different, a solution for someone may not suit the look you want.
Building your Cobra will be a great experience, just take your time and have a good look at what others have done, it will save you heaps in time and $$.