Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     
Default One for the mechanical Guru's

G;day all;

I have a problem that has done my head in and would like to hear of any other suggestions as to the source of the drama. I have a standard 93 HO Mustang motor in my Python Cobra. Of late i am getting a severe oil leak from the passenger side of the engine.The oil is all over the heat sheild of the foot box, runs down the chassi rail, hits the exhaust and even is as far up as the headers and spark plug boots.Its a f*%^ing mess.

I have changed every gasket, rockers,inlet manifolds and sump. I have changed out the PCV valve.Its not coming from the filter or its mount. I have been under the car for 20mins at a time with a bloody torch looking for oil as it runs and is being taken to different revs..........Nothing !!!. BUT when i get in it and go down the road it starts, I smell it first and then when under load, smoke plumes from the left side of the car. Always worse under load.When I park it after such a run it drops a significant amount of oil from the area described.I cant determine the source because the oil is sprayed all over the left side of the block,the foot box and heat sheild and chassi rail.

Does anyone have any ideas ?
I just hope its not a crack and is exiting under pressure.
For the record the motor is fine, smooth idle, temps and pressure seem to be ok and the plugs are spot on.

Cheers
Chris Lidgerwood
Old 04-16-2011, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

It would be nice to see some pictures. Do you have an after market timing cover? If so does it have a plug for the older style dip stick hole on the right side?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Start by cleaning everything of old oil. Get a dye kit that will make the oil glow under UV light. Crank it up and let it idle. Don't rev it much if it will leak at low RPM. You don't won't wind from the fan blowing the oil around before you find the leak. If the leak hasn't shown after it is fully warmed up at idle, bump the RPM up just enough to increase the oil pressure to its normal range and check again.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 04-16-2011, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

Hi Chris,
I'm definately no expert but here's some thoughts... Have you looked at the oil pressure sender and filter area as well as dipstick receptacle, from memory they are all on that side fwd section of the engine which I guess would align with your footbox. Have you removed the PCV and ran it that way? Just thinking excess crankcase pressure or blocked inlet manifold port.
Can you get access to a dyno and run it under load that way so you can then look around whilst stationary?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

if all gaskets are sealing.... i would guess excessive blowby if it happens only under load, possibly coming out the breather.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I'm also thinking a dipstick plug has come out. Your description fits it to a tee. Please post a couple of pictures of the left side and of the timing cover.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-16-2011, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Appreciate the replies fellas.
I should have mentioned the dipstick was relocated when the engine was out years ago as i also had to change the sump configuration to suit the chassi. Its been "Australianised" for lack of better explanation which means the sump is deep at the front of the engine and the dipstick is on the drivers side (Right) in Australia. Oil pickup was something else that was also changed from US spec to suit new sump at the time from memory. I have to say there is nothing to suggest any leak from front of engine near dipstick or timing chain cover, but I will re check again anyway. I have tried 3 times running the car to temp on the stands whilst under it and it refuses to give anything away apart from a very slight rear seal weep, only apparent after car has cooled.
Have had manifolds off and cleaned ports when stuffing around with the PVC, nothing apparent there. Engine oil is changed very regularly.
I have standard rocker covers with the only breather a rubber hose from where oil can be put into the engine running to the throttle body. The car was fine for 18 months and it has just gone off lately, have only covered 5K in it.

I will keep checking and trying your suggestions that i can, if that all fails then its off to the shop.

Cheers
Chris
Old 04-16-2011, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Photos might help Chris. I have pretty much the same motor but with new heads, and so on. Are yours the original Mustang HO heads? I take it the Plenum is still fitted and is any of the old smog pump setup still there? There was a connection for that at the back of the head on that passenger (L) side that needed to be sealed.

It would not run so well with a cracked head ...

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Merv & Sharon;
If I could post some pics I would, but I could not be sure they would show anything. Everything is quite clean and all you see after a run is a like a glossy sheen where the oil is sprayed, particularly on the heat shield (stainless steel) that protects the foot well. There is a burnt stain on the underside of the 3rd header from front of engine but pin pointing how that is happening has me buggered. I havent been able to work out how I can be under the car while it is moving yet !!!. Although the ex wife may have some ideas !!. The front of the engine and drivers side are bone dry, not a drop anywhere.Heads were done while engine was out some time ago, no sign of any leaks there.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chris L; 04-16-2011 at 09:06 PM..
Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Could be the filter gasket, maybe it needs a little more "Twist", if you have any oil hoses they could be suspect also as well as hose fittings. Any underhood air currents will move the oil around and make the leak appear MUCH larger than it really is.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Problem solved !!

Thanks everyone for the input and particularly "mreid". You are spot on, the dipstick plug has come out. I had no idea that is where they entered the sump in the USA. I guess I was convinced dipsticks are around the front of engines and was ignorant of anything else, but on reflection it all makes sense when i think about the sump that come off it. Although it was about 8 years ago.
Had I done the work originally myself and learnt something I would have saved myself plenty of drama.

Thanks again to those who took the time to help.

Cheers
Chris:
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

do you have a breather on your engine????
Old 04-17-2011, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Glad to help, Chris and very happy you got it fixed. Now go leave some rubber on the road instead of oil!

Mark
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-17-2011, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Bugger, just as I was gunna suggest it was time to fit that other motor you have.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.