Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     
Default ABS / Traction Control

Howdy,

Whats involved in ABS braking and Traction Control ?

In the bits i'm accumulating, all the hubs have sensors, picked up the VE 4 channel ABS unit with plug end for nothing when i was scouring for VZ knuckles and hubs, Is there any other computer involved, does it integrate with the ECU somehow.

Same for traction control, dose it connect to ECU or is it all done by brake modulation ?

Cruise Control, i love my cruise control, what would be involved with adopting a factory setup from a commodore ?

Anybody actually fitted and got operating ?

Cheers

Dave
Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

There are some guys here that have installed TC on their rides. I think there are two type break modulation type which can independently control each rear and required sensors on each hub (including fronts). There is also CPU based TC that could use independent sensors but you could also use a driveshaft sensor. this system could cut spark, cut fuel or retard timing.

There are a number of companies that make controllers, I know of FAST. There was a recent thread that talked about this with some more particulars.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

If memory serves me right I believe John Cini's car was fitted I know he was dabbling with it years back!!!

Have a look at RaceLogic as well.... Racelogic - Experts in data logging, video logging & GPS

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 04-18-2011 at 12:07 AM..
Old 04-17-2011, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

The BA(?) Falcon ABS setup has been fitted to at least one Melbourne Cobra that I know of. Only necessary if you have a boat anchor up front.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

The issue that you might run into is if the donar vehicle has ESC. Then i think the ABS and traction control may be all integrated into it.

Sideshow probably has expirience with the electronics side of it.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
The BA(?) Falcon ABS setup has been fitted to at least one Melbourne Cobra that I know of. Only necessary if you have a boat anchor up front.
Why would someone put a Chev engine on an anchor chain ? Don't you just throw 'em overboard ?
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog246 View Post
Why would someone put a Chev engine on an anchor chain ? Don't you just throw 'em overboard ?
Rog
Hehehe very bluddy funny
Old 04-18-2011, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Using VE gear could be difficult.

The ABS (or EBCM - Electronic Brake Control Module) is in the middle of the GMHSLAN, GM High Speed Bus.

You'll need the VE PCM for the engine, plus virtually every other HS Bus module.

The cruise control is PCM controlled by stalk and brake/clutch switch inputs driving an electronic throttle body.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

cruise control is piss easy to get working if yoru running a gen 4 ls2 ls3 etc
just get person who is doing your motor loom to fit the necessary parts
abs is abit of a pain depending which way u go
u need to get the correct abs module and the ve one is the wrong one
like i always tell people when u get things for free 99% of the time they r the worng bits hehehehehe

we can do the whole loom etc for what u want
if u get someopne else then we are not really interested in fixing the fkups from others who have attempted to do the job
we have so much on if anyoen has a job already done by another auto elct i normally just say go back to them
im not even selling them parts to fix their problems getting too many problems when fixing fkups and then they come back and blame us

anyway do some more research and maybe even go see the guys at holden
they should help u heheheheheh

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 04-18-2011, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

also the later ecus have a different brake signal setup to the early ecus
so u basically need to look at the whole engine wiring first and revise that setup
if u plan to run abs and cruise and trc

so have u got any other bits apart from your ve abs unit
also what year is your motor
and please dont say u bought a gm performance ls2 ls3 loom kit
cause i would advise to throw it in a bucket of water as thats how they work the best hahahahahahahah

Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

I have an LS1 from a C5 Vette which incorporates DBW with a painless performance harness which went together ok, it also has wiring for the cruise control, I also was wondering if I want to get this working is it just a matter of hooking up a stalk with the on/off, resume and accel/decel function?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

think he has an ls7
so if he is running the e38 ecu he needs ti fit a pim
or run a ve bcm big pain
usa cars dont run pims
usa ls1 use different tac module to aussie ls1s and also differnet dbw pedals
dbw ls1s have cruise go thru the tac module
so depends what he is running will depend which way to go about it
he is in melb so might even be worth calling castle auto elects

Last edited by sideshow; 04-18-2011 at 05:45 AM..
Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Sideshow,

What is wrong with the GM performance controller and loom kits? They are cheap enough and seem like an easy install. I know they take away work from you guys, but by the sounds of it you arent crying out for more work.

Intersted to hear you opinion on them.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

"Sideshow,
I know they take away work from you guys, but by the sounds of it you arent crying out for more work."

"Interested to hear you opinion on them"............hehehehehhhehhehhehhehehehehehehe hehehehehehehe....

As usual gives some GREAT advice!!!!!!

Then says "pi$$ off ....... COBRA guys are a pack of whingers and not worth the trouble!!!"

Why don't you stick with the other forums that make it so profitable for you!!! ...but NO we can see the potential here with all the GM gear going in can't we!!!...careful biting the hand that feeds you!!!
...Zedn just joined the growing number on here whom see the 2 headed Snake!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 04-18-2011 at 06:48 AM..
Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

If you are serious about traction control, then I would recommend to go with an aftermarket adjustable setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
What is wrong with the GM performance controller and loom kits?
We use the GM Performance Kits exclusively here. We need to modify the looms to suit, but they work out perfectly. Cheapest option and all the parts and loom are OEM quality.

Just keep in mind GM Performance use the latest E67 ECU's in a lot of their Kits. They can be fully programmed by HP Tuners/VCM Suite, but we have heard of problems doing mafless tunes if that is the direction you want to take. The HP Tuners software may be updated enough now to fully support mafless with E67, not something most of our customers worry about.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Sideshow,
I have the LS7, its a 2009 crate motor, came with Controller and Engine Harness.
In terms of collecting ABS parts all i have at the moment are the VZ front hubs and VE rear which are all fitted with sensors.

The VE module is neither here nor there, picked up for nothing, someone else may have a use for it. Its from a low 26K GTS roll over that had traction control if anybody is interested and i don't end up using it, There are heaps of VZ ones around sitting in wrecks everywhere, what about those.?

I'm not at the stage of wiring harness yet, but would like to know what i need before i get there.

What car should i get an ABS module off, if VE isnt the go?

How can i tell the type of controller i have, it has bar codes and part numbers "12597121" & "12603892" but nothing the resembles "E38" what ever that means.
What Controller should i have got for ease of operation ?

RE: Cruise control, if factory isn't the go, what is,
Where does it pick up the speed signal from, ABS Sensors ? Speedo ?, something else?, do i need a separate controller or is it part of Engine controller.

Do i look at aftermarket stuff, it seems to me that a lot of this OE stuff is not the usual wrecker pickings and therefore is cheap.
But maybe not worth the effort ?

Anyway, any info / education i can get from here is all good, otherwise i will get from somewhere else.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig,
thanks for your input, please excuse my ignorance,
I intend to put a Kinsler 8TB manifold on the LS7, so i assume it will be "Mafless" ?

What would you suggest as the ideal ECU for this,

cheers

Dave
Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hehe i know how much u hate us ozcobra
feelings r mutal

we r not compalining about them taking work from us

we have had some complaints about them
especially from some tuners saying the e67 is a pain to tune
we dont touch those looms so the bad comments r not from us
they r from the 20 or so calls we have had regarding the e67 ecu
the shop thats sells these kits knows fuk all about what they r selling
so in the end we get the calls and tell them we can strip your loom down and
wire up an e38
i guess in the end its the tuner thats not experienced enough but we just try to steer clear from the e67s due to this

hey dave u might as well take your car to ozcobra or 400tt as they seem to know about the abs and trc setups and since no more cobra guys come to us due to these forums

we dont want nothing from anyone on here that is y i turned of my pmming and do not reply to friends request and in the end when people like davew will suffer because
many people will give him a bum steer on info because 99% of people on hereknows jack **** about how the abs and trc and cruise all works
so what might happen is if he does email us we might say to f off because he is part of the cobra club and we all know how we feel about this
i have not bagged anyone on here this time
i just gave my feelings on the gmmp looms which we have had afew unhappy custoemrs with them and they have come to us to help them

everyone on here has many comments regarding other parts or mechanical stuff for cobras some good some bad but the minute we bag a product that is sold by someone on here everyone arcs up i feel a phone call again from mr mizzi here
seems like its ok to repremand us posting on here for bagging a product
but its ok to bag a member on here for posting his feeelings on a product

once again we just posted our thoughts on a certain product and the rest have come down harsh on us
thats twice now ozcobra u have bagged us out on certain posts and when u read what we wrote
it had nothing to do with u and not really flaming anyone we just wrote our thoughts on
a product
all we can do is pass on the treatment we get on these forums
hopefully u will get many more member from us telling everyone how wonderful u get treated on these forums hehehehehe

Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

all i can say dave is nothing is as good as the factory cruise and trc and abs setup
as it all talks to each other
but looks like due to other fkers on here they dont really want u to take our advice
so best to ask them
if u go aftermarket each of the systems wont talk to each other and since u have the usa based loom and controller we really dont want to get involved as u will have to fit the abs system to match the ecu and that means u need abs modules that will match the e67 ecu u have which are probably all from a corvette i pressume

Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to Doubledip
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Sideshow,

What is wrong with the GM performance controller and loom kits? They are cheap enough and seem like an easy install. I know they take away work from you guys, but by the sounds of it you arent crying out for more work.

Intersted to hear you opinion on them.
So its an unbiased opinion i will take somepics of a GMPP loom today and post tonight if i remember. You can then be the judge to whether you would like one of these looms on your pride and joy or not