Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     
Default Put in Cruise Control for my LS1 Cobra

Hi All,

I know I know its sacrilege putting cruise control into the Cobra, but I get a sore foot cruising on highways and dont want to get a ticket.

Bought a second hand LS1 cruise control module and cable for $50, bolted straight in.

Downloaded a manual and wired it up. Works great - cant see it in the engine bay and my switches are down by the right hand side of the steering wheel out of sight.

Wiring was a bit tricky so give me a yell for a wiring diagram if you are wanting to do the same.

Rgds

Gregg

Last edited by gjkrv8; 05-03-2011 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: cant spell
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Hi Gregg, sounds like it was pretty straightforward. Does the module work with the fly by wire pedal or throttle body actuator or something like that? Can you get them for later model eg LS2? A quick google led to this thread on the Factory Five forum which suggests you need a BCM.

Wiring for Cruise Control for LS2/3/7 - FFCars.com - Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

On another forum I found a more technical discussion but no solution it would appear.

Cruise Control for LS2 DBW - LS1TECH
Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hi Paul.

Its the factory module out of a commodore.

Its made for the LS1 cable throttle body.

From what I understand the fly by wire cruise control is even easier to do for the LS2/3 etc.

Rgds

Gregg

Last edited by gjkrv8; 05-03-2011 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2011, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

None of the threads I've found regarding DBW cruise control sounds overly promising. Sideshow did mention cruise control in an earlier thread, perhaps he or DoubleDip might like to contribute either publicly or via PM.

With the increase of mobile speed cameras cruise is becoming a necessity, though maintaining the posted speed in the Cobra is much easier than in the wife's Honda Odyssey.

Cheers
Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

What cruise stalk or controls are you using ? My LS1 is DBW and I am also thinking of hooking up the cruise.. I am led to believe all you need to do is connect the wires to the stalk no BCM required...After that cup holders to go in(my wife made me do it).
Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb View Post
What cruise stalk or controls are you using ? My LS1 is DBW and I am also thinking of hooking up the cruise.. I am led to believe all you need to do is connect the wires to the stalk no BCM required...After that cup holders to go in(my wife made me do it).
My LS1 is the cable throttle type that does not interact electronically with the ECU. i.e. the Cruise Control Module is a standalone unit with its own cable that connects in parallel with the existing manual throttle cable.

I think if you have the DBW LS1 then your ECU is different to mine and you use a different approach (with a PIM I think that converts the crsuise control signals to a Serial Bus signal).

Regarding switches I am initially going for a couple of dash mounted switches and LEDs on the right hand side of my steering column.

I am working on another electronic circuit to move the switches to the steering wheel (utilising my Horn button wire).

Rgds

Gregg
Old 05-04-2011, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to Doubledip
Not Ranked     

Cruise on the LS1 FBW can be done with what parts you already have that make the engine run, as for the E38 versions the easiest way to get cruise working is needing a PIM and running a VZ calibration and setup.

all can be done and have done many that work fine
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Doubledip,

What about LS2's running E40 ecu's?

Cheers
Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

same setup as E38 with a HSV Calibration though
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wiring Diagram

Hi,

Below is the diagram I have created from my install.

The original VY Series II Cruise Control manual had the CR_ON LED as being switched GND but I found the opposite, same for the NC.

Also there is a neat diagnostic mode to assist you in troubleshooting your wiring and switches, this also exercises the stepper motor and cable so you can prove everything bar the Speed signal pulses, which you could also do if you were game enough to put the rear wheels up on stands. I wasnt I did a road test on a long straight road instead.

PM me if you need this diagnostic page.

Have fun

Rgds

Gregg

Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

very nice good job