Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     
Default Good quality electrical connections & terminals

What have people used to wire their cars? I’m anxious to do a good job, and want quality terminals and quality wire. A have a decent ratcheting crimp tool, but I still question the quality and sturdiness of terminals like these;

I have done some reading on aircraft specification terminals, which have a larger wire crimp area and a better insulation “grab”, although I can’t seem to find anywhere that sells them.

Has anyone tried these sort with built-in heat-shrink?

Female Spade - Red - Pkt 8 - Self Sealing Quick Connectors - Jaycar Electronics

I’m talking about a body loom here, not necessarily an engine/ECU loom. I’d like to achieve OEM quality levels, but of course without the proprietary locking connectors that manufacturers use, what is the best type of terminals to use? Given that there will be many relays I suppose spade connectors will be plentiful, but what are the best ones to use?

Also what is a good source of quality size-matched wire? Narva etc from Autobahn et al doesn't really appeal.

I'd like to hear what different people have done in wiring, and how you rate the quality of connections made with certain products.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

I ordered all of my coloured wire and Narva connectors (2/3/4/6-way) from Graeme at Larrikin Products. Great service and way below retail price. LARRIKIN PRODUCTS - Cable Ties, Electrical Imports, Wholesale, Trade, Retail: direct to the public - larrikin products, sydney -

I used Narva connectors wherever I needed to allow lamps etc to be removed from the main loom, everything else is soldered and heat shrinked. I don't think I used a single spade terminal, plenty of ring terminals for earthing to the chassis etc.

Last edited by sambo; 05-17-2011 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: bad URL
Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

just a observation when i rewired my car.....i found a cleaner install and more luck getting good connections not using the plastic shrouded connectors like you have shown. where at times it was all i could find i cut them off the connector, and used good quality heat shrink to replace it. made it easier to fish multi-wires thru the loom also.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Insulated connectors when crimped use the deformed the plastic skirt as a strain relief. If the plastic skirt is removed and heatshink is used some strain relief may be provided but the mechanical style is really the way to go.

If uninsulated connectors are deemed preferable then the type with the strain relief clamp (pictured) should be used, then the heatshrink is simply providing electrical insulation as designed.

A different crimper is required as well.

Cheers
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC427, 351W 408
Not Ranked     

A number of builders I know have used Weather Pack connectors with success. I'm using them in my current build and appear very sturdy and definitely weather proof. They're used on some production cars. DIYAutoTune.com Megasquirt Kits / Assembled Engine Management Systems, Wideband o2 Sensor Systems and tuning products sells various sized kits which is cheaper than buying them individually and they accept international orders.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krait View Post
Insulated connectors when crimped use the deformed the plastic skirt as a strain relief. If the plastic skirt is removed and heatshink is used some strain relief may be provided but the mechanical style is really the way to go.

If uninsulated connectors are deemed preferable then the type with the strain relief clamp (pictured) should be used, then the heatshrink is simply providing electrical insulation as designed.

A different crimper is required as well.

Cheers
this type look good, and with heat shrink I can see them providing a good connection with good strain relief - what are they called, and what is the crimp tool called?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

I used Weather Pack connectors for all the connections when I wired my Harrison. They availale in 1, 2, 3, 4(2 types) and 6 pin configuration. Not the cheapest around and they are similar to what vehicle manufactures use. There is a crimp tool required for these fittings.
I bought most of my fittings, crimp tool and terminal removal tool from the US Ebay. Save heaps.

Warren
Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

As a sparky of more than 20years experience, I am yet to see a insulated crimp lug that was properly terminated fail.
If they are properly selected and crimped you will never have any problem.

Waste your money on good stuff that makes you go fast or stop well.