Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Give the Aussie Importers a Go

Further to my post on GST implications, I thought a response from the Australian importer of Trick Flow components was worthy of a separate thread...

As a retailer of golf equipment I'm accutely aware of the prevalence of overseas online purchases and have on many occasions just wished that my customer had at least given me a chance to price goods that they have bought from O/S. I'd rather take a smaller margin than none at all. Unfortunately it's the wholesaler that takes the largest cut, but that's a whole different story....

Anyway, having priced up all my goodies from Summit Racing, I called Fabre, the importer of Trick flow stuff, gave them my list and asked them price up the parts after pointing out a pending order from Summit. The US price with gst and freight is $2800, nearly $2000 cheaper than here.

To their credit, Fabre called me back on 2 occasions to double check details, then George, their sales guy, called me yesterday with a price match.

So, try giving the local guys a chance before you click the buy button, it may just help save a few retailers.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Agree, they should be given a chance.

However to drop $2000.00 on a $4800.00 price and still make money is the real problem.

Importers do need to be realistic with margins, the market has changed and they need recognise what value, if any, they add to the transaction.

Nothing ****s me more than buying local, you have an issue and the place of purchase just refers you to the manufacturer.

Phil
Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Greg, I did the same with some tyres this week. Here they initially wanted 700 for the tyre and on TireRack they quoted 208 for the same 'tire'. With freight it was about 330 per tyre. I found a local match for that after pointing out the US cost.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

I agree up to a certain point about trying the locals for price-matching, but some of the local importers are just trying to skin us.
As an example, for work purposes I located a supplier overseas that a local agent had been using. Price buying direct was AUD 695 incl. delivery, and same thing going through an agent was AUD 2900
I'm not convinced a local needs the chance to match price if he's happy to try that on.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My 2 cents....

F250 K@N Air filter pod set up with all the bits and bobs...

Rocket Ind Aus $750.00 + Freight
Super F spares Aus $495.00 + Freight
DotComParts.com $300.00 US Delivered to my door!

When I went to get it from Oz Post they said all they get these days is parcels from the USA..... Apparently we have had a slump in GDP for the first time in 20 years due to the QLD floods...Hmmm might be a few more reasons than that me thinks...!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

With the way the Aussie $ has gained on the US $ I'm surprised that my friends down under aren't doing any better with US trade. Something smells kind of fishy there. Byron's wholesaler dropping almost 50% off the price at the drop of a hat just tells me that his merchandise was over-priced to begin with.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We have a small manufacturing business on the Sunshine coast in QLD and we are flat out. We make spotlight covers for driving / spotlights on bullbars trucks, 4x4's etc. Can't keep up with demand it's unbelievable. Reason I am commenting is we use an item called a bumpon. It's a small rubber adhesive dot that we stick on certain covers to keep them away from the face of the cover. We used to buy them off a local supplier but I decided to do some research and found where they were made (USA) and sent them an email . I told them the quantities we were using and they agreed to sell to us direct. Original cost 17c per bumpon, cost now approx 1.8c per bumpon... depending on the dollar. Now that's a saving!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

The market has certainly changed, wholesalers need to recognise that we shop globally, gone are the days when they argued that they carried risk with big inventories, with airfreight so fast they've just become forwarders really.

When i can get goods faster from the US than Victoria something's wrong. On your point spook, have you noticed deliveries have slowed from O/S? I'm guessing that Auspost et al are struggling with the volume.

It pi55es me off though to get a sale that i've gotta chop my margin to a few % when I know what wholesalers are paying.....try about $2 for a golf club iron head, with a recommended retail price of $50.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The whole carrying the risk with keeping the inventory line is bollocks anyway. Most times I've inquired about a part they have said "yep it will be $999.99c and it'll be here in 2 weeks". Basically they just take my money and go order it from OS and bring it in themselves and stick their markup on it. I'm quite capable of finding the parts on the net or making that same phone call. Where is the value add?

I'm an online shopper till they convince me otherwise.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Byroncobra...PM sent.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I can't get over the US mail. Last Monday I went to buy a tube bender from blackwoods and they had to order it from Melbourne. OK so I paid and was prepared to wait. That night I bought a part from Jegs. Three days later (Thursday) I got the bit from Jegs (USA) The next day blackwoods rang and said to come and pick up my bender... it had arrived late Friday arvo and they aren't open weekends. So I had to brave Friday arvo rush hour to drive across town to pick up my bender. Amazing !
Old 06-02-2011, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3508 6Litre LS2
Not Ranked     

I'm constantly amazed with australian retailers bleating about people buying overseas, yet I have made numerous phone/email enquiries for parts locally and have not recieved replies, the most recent being wheelboyz.
I have purchased parts from the US and had delivery to the door within days.
Online is the way to shop.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I agree its worth giving the locals a go. I got my wheels from Wheelboyz. They ended up about $100 dearer but i didnt mind paying that to support an aussie business and also have someone to return to if there was a problem. All wents smoothly and they supplied quickly in custom offset.

That being said, there are a lot of companies that really need to sharpen their pencils.

I cant believe that eagle stay in business with the prices they charge. They sell crate motors for $3000 more than other suppliers and engine controller kits are nearly double what they can be shipped from US for.

I use to have an audi A4. I could get some parts for 10% of the price (yes that is of not off!) from ebay US. Control arms for $30 instead of $300 here. Made by the same OEM supplier.

Its always been that way and always will be.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I recently bought a genuine Audi diverter valve from the US for $AUD80 landed.....supply here is $180

for a larger example, I have this week ordered some stuff (I shan't reveal what on here) from a supplier in the US, $AUD2700 (including $805 in shipping).....to buy exactly the same thing here $AUD4650.....
Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strida View Post
I'm constantly amazed with australian retailers bleating about people buying overseas, yet I have made numerous phone/email enquiries for parts locally and have not recieved replies, the most recent being wheelboyz.
I have purchased parts from the US and had delivery to the door within days.
Online is the way to shop.
Did you call wheelboyz? I dealt with them about 18months ago and they were great. I called up and discussed what i wanted. He asked me to complete the form for dimensions and email it to him. i did it the same day and discovered my front wheels were a standard offset. The fronts arrived 2 days later and the rears about 5 weeks later becuase they were a custom offset.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bought a second hand wunderwagen a few years ago. The A/C compressor went kaput in warranty. The dealer replaced it and commented that it cost them $3000 (yes that's three thousand dollars). Sold the car at a loss not long after that.
I then had to buy a new compressor for my old Alfa. It cost $300, same brand, same model as on the wundercar, and bought from a local. There are some good local guys and there are the others, so it is still worth trying around first before trying OS
Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Front lip for a Honda Integra DC5 $995 locally.
Same OEM lip from O/S - $39.95 Plus delivery.

C'mon, as Daffy **** would say "...that's despicable!"

PS: I'm sure there are 1000s of similar stories.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Front sway bar links for my Mercedes are over $300 each from the local Stealer. OEM parts from the US are $100 the pair delivered.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

318 Chrysler small block stroker kit with forged crank.
From Mancini racing USA $2115.00
From PP&R Australia $3040.00 (that is with a $549.00 discount they currently have)

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmm. Let me think....what should I do then?
C'mon local agents. Lift your game. It's a buyers' market (for a change)
Cheers,
Glen