Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, VE L98 + T56
Not Ranked     
Default Beam and Torsion tests in Victoria

Hi guys, just when you solve one problem, in my case the IM240 test, another is thrown up at you! My engineer submitted my car's details to Vic Roads back in April this year, applying for a VIN Number, included was the generic beam and torsion test photo copy that was done on a previously built chassis, but Vic Roads now want a specific test report with my chassis number included on it! I don't know if they require the test to be done again, or a declaration stating it was built exactly the same as the tested one, but it needs to identify my chassis in-particular. Another guy in Melbourne with the same kit is having the same problem, and Sambo will too I assume when he gets around to getting full rego.,( unless Vic Roads move the goal posts yet again!). My engineer is liaising with the kit builder and the original engineer but nothing has happened in the last month or so. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

oh dear....that is forboding news. Good luck and please keep us informed!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

I'm glad I don't live in Victoria!

Regards.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpeater View Post
My engineer is liaising with the kit builder and the original engineer but nothing has happened in the last month or so.
Do you know if there have been lots of discussions with no forward progress, or has literally nothing happened? Either way, it seems the NSW compliance virus has spread south of the border.

At least the viruses up here currently only affect horses and a dog...
Old 07-28-2011, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post

Regards.
Yeah, I'm glad I don't .... oh wait..
Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Its all getting a bit silly isn't it. Club reg on the one hand but ever increasing barriers to full rego on the other. Perhaps Mr Vicroads would like a ride in my Harrison to see whether there's any chassis flex under hard acceleration?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     
Default Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post

Regards.
Short sighted? Or am I missing something?
90 day permit in Vic means I can have an Big Block FE? No?

Now I just need 4 of them so I can use it as my daily driver. One in Blue, One in Black, One in Red, and One in Silver
Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Dimis, my comment had nothing to do with my eyesight. I was merely being sarcastic at the point of Vic Roads requiring stumpeater's chassis number to be on the beam and torsion report. I've had to jump through enough of my own hoops to be on the verge of registration that it's difficult to believe that this type of request is being made at this late stage.
By the way, what size bigblock have you gone with? A 390, 428 or perhaps a 427! I'll watch with interest once you start your build.

Regards.

Last edited by Mando; 08-01-2011 at 04:02 AM..
Old 07-29-2011, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

The beaming and torsion test is described in VSB14. If you call a test facility and ask for a price on the test it will be a lot. I was quoted $1800 for the test to be done before i found out the manufacturer has already done it. If they wont accept the test from the manufacturer, make your own jig, buy/borrow some gauges and pay your engineer to observe you doing the test. Contact Suthol on here, he has done it on his scratch built clubby chassis.

It would be logical that they should accept a declaration from your manufacturer that your chassis is identical to the one tested.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison , 5lt Ford . FF GTM 6LT GMH
Not Ranked     
Default Test reports

Yes Vic Roads has asked for more info to be supplied by the engineers . This is being arranged as we speak . First a letter to state the chassis supplied was the same as the one tested 11 years ago , that was ok for a number of kits to pass . There has been also some differance of opion between the engineers . If they stop moving the goal posts we will be better of .
I am waiting for the return fo my engineer for new copies of the reports to forward on .
Warwick.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Warwick, Hey Sambo! I am sure Mr Vicroads would love to have a ride in your car under hard acceleration, then if he heard a chirp from the tyres on a gear change he would be able to book you, for being a "Hoon" and then confiscate your car!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

No hooning in the Cobra Peter. Just safe overtaking moves.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison build #98 with Supercharged 6.2L of Chev Power, TKO600 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Short sighted? Or am I missing something?
90 day permit in Vic means I can have an Big Block FE? No?

Now I just need 4 of them so I can use it as my daily driver. One in Blue, One in Black, One in Red, and One in Silver
If I was to start now it would be 90 day permit, with a alloy 427 from the states.

But anyway, it's not finished yet and I could always use the engine in something else.

In another car with a 390cuin, it pumps out 450HP with some better internals and top this can be improved upon, and it revs quite nicely.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Not happy with the Holden engine?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison build #98 with Supercharged 6.2L of Chev Power, TKO600 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Not happy with the Holden engine?
Happy, just if option was there a while ago when I started looking into these things I would have gone different route to keep it more original, with individual throttles and trumpets etc........stupid rules and regs that make no logical sense at all.

No issues with the car and engine I have, sounds really neat when it winds up and is something different. At the end of the day it's an engine and can always be swapped out/changed for something different, but first it has to be completed before I'll worry about it.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
The beaming and torsion test is described in VSB14. If you call a test facility and ask for a price on the test it will be a lot. I was quoted $1800 for the test to be done before i found out the manufacturer has already done it. If they wont accept the test from the manufacturer, make your own jig, buy/borrow some gauges and pay your engineer to observe you doing the test. Contact Suthol on here, he has done it on his scratch built clubby chassis.

It would be logical that they should accept a declaration from your manufacturer that your chassis is identical to the one tested.
Liam,

Whoever quoted you $1800 saw an easy buck coming, my test cost $450 + GST.

Having said that I did have the car set up on the jig ready to go along with about 200Kg of steel shot in 20Kg bags and another 200Kg of barbell weights so there was no time wasting.

There was the best part of a day in setup because of trail and error but I will do it quicker next time, obviously if you use the engineers jig and premises he will spend a lot of time ( your money ) setting it up.

Here's a link to some pics of mine on the jig Daves Beam and Torsion Test ( the Datto 1200 ute had 347 RWKw before the current turbo upgrade that's still in progress )

Last edited by suthol; 07-31-2011 at 07:55 PM..
Old 08-01-2011, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update!

Good news, I got a call today from my engineer and he had just received the more comprehensive test results. He reckons they should do the trick, let's hope VicRoads agree.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave that was Peter Smith quote. Thats why i was asking you about the rig you used at the time. Luckily RCM have already had the test done to VSB14.

I have heard similar prices around the $1500 mark. It sounds a lot, but when you consider the time it takes for them to make up something to adapt the hubs and get it all set up, carry out the test and then write a report, all at engineer rates its about right.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthol View Post
Liam,

Here's a link to some pics of mine on the jig Daves Beam and Torsion Test ( the Datto 1200 ute had 347 RWKw before the current turbo upgrade that's still in progress )
Hey Suthol, thanks for putting up those pictures, I was wondering how it was all set up. Is the "beam" test separate from the "torsion" test, or is it the same thing? I can see from the jig setup you are applying torsion to the chassis, but what is the beam part? Thanks Peter.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Beaming part is done on the same jig but with the front steal beam locked so it cant rotate. They load up the seat locations and measure the deflection in the chassis by mounting dial gauges at intervals along the chassis.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: