Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     
Default Cheap sandblasters on fleabay?

There are a number of cheap sandblasters on ebay, under $200, has anyone had any experience with these things? I'm not wanting or needing to do hundreds of parts, probably only use it half a dozen time but it will pay for itself easy at those prices.

Are they any good, or useless rubbish?

Ben
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

I don't know about the ones on fleabay, but I bought one of the harbor fright ones second hand from someone that had added caster wheels to the legs. It's OK, the panels leak like crazy. I need to take it down and use RTV at all the joints. The gloves are very thin, and if you hold any parts to blast them well, the gloves will wear quickly. The tear away sheets are useless. I just go to my local hardware store every once in a while and buy a couple new pieces of lens glass. OK for the usage, but if you can get better, I say go for it!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Blasters

Mando,

I purchased one from Hare & Forbes ( $370 and $450 for the vacuum assembly ) I was told to use Glass beads for auto work. It wa sthe wrong call, I changed to Garnet and things take 1/4 of the time.

I am still contemplating getting a bigger one as you use it ALL the time, it such fun........... just need a good capacity compressor to keep up.

STIFFY
Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Not sure which type you mean, but i have used the really cheap hand held one that you put a tube in a bucket and also the ones that have a tank for the abrasive.

As Stiffy said Garnet is you friend. I bought a bag ages ago and have reused it about 20 times.

I used the hand held gun with the bucket to do fairly large parts just by folding up a sheet of clear plasting and taping around the edges with duct tape. You can then just use it as a giant cabinet. I just wear welding gloves and a welding mask with a clear lens.

Definately worth getting if you are prepping parts. I have done all my suspension parts like this including the entire jag front subframe. Just prime and paint after or POR 15.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have one of these guys, I am yet to use it (as I want to put it in a different spot) no garnet added yet to save the weight.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is what I did about 10 years ago.....

Build-Your-Own Cabinet - Trigger-Operated System - TP Tools & Equipment

Bought the basic $99.00 kit, back then,probably about 50 bucks......One and a half sheets of plywood,built my own cabinet,it's 4 feet wide X 2 feet deep X about 30 inches tall..took me an afternoon to build it with help from a buddy....I probably spent no more than 100 bucks all total, but I did have the blower and some other items around the shop before hand......I made the front section where the lense is,hinged,so I load from the front, I use plexiglass for the lense,works fine.....I have two regular 60 watt light bulbs inside and a small squirrel cage blower mount on the outside to draw the air/dust out,all wired in to one 120volt switch........works like a charm,very inexpensive.....
Also,depending on what your blasting, I use regular sandblasting sand, I find beads do not cut enough when things are rusty and way too slow...

I used their basic plans, just made the cabinet larger for my use....Once you have one, you'll wish it was bigger, and you'll use it all the time....I'd bet I use mine on average once a week, it's just too easy to go in the shop, turn on the air compressor, flip a switch and be blasting/cleaning up anything in less than 5 minutes......

David
Old 10-25-2011, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Car Co. replica of 1966 Cobra made in 1988 with big block bowtie (600 hp 454), Bought about 4 months ago
Not Ranked     

I have the cabinet blaster as well as the type where you put the tube in a bag of abrasive. Obviously you can't put a large piece in the cabinet whereas you can blast anything with the remote gun. Both work pretty well if you have a large enough compressor
Old 10-25-2011, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
This is what I did about 10 years ago.....

Build-Your-Own Cabinet - Trigger-Operated System - TP Tools & Equipment

Bought the basic $99.00 kit, back then,probably about 50 bucks......One and a half sheets of plywood,built my own cabinet,it's 4 feet wide X 2 feet deep X about 30 inches tall..took me an afternoon to build it with help from a buddy....I probably spent no more than 100 bucks all total, but I did have the blower and some other items around the shop before hand......I made the front section where the lense is,hinged,so I load from the front, I use plexiglass for the lense,works fine.....I have two regular 60 watt light bulbs inside and a small squirrel cage blower mount on the outside to draw the air/dust out,all wired in to one 120volt switch........works like a charm,very inexpensive.....
Also,depending on what your blasting, I use regular sandblasting sand, I find beads do not cut enough when things are rusty and way too slow...

I used their basic plans, just made the cabinet larger for my use....Once you have one, you'll wish it was bigger, and you'll use it all the time....I'd bet I use mine on average once a week, it's just too easy to go in the shop, turn on the air compressor, flip a switch and be blasting/cleaning up anything in less than 5 minutes......

David
Be careful using sand. It is banned in Australia because of the silica. Beads, garnet, nut shells etc are used here.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Be careful using sand. It is banned in Australia because of the silica. Beads, garnet, nut shells etc are used here.
Actually, almost impossible to get here now, I just go to any hardware store and buy a bag of masonary sand, basically the same thing....I have also gone to the local river when I was out of sand and needed some on a weekend when the hardware stores were closed and shoveled a #3 tub full of "river/beach sand", I made a box out of 1" by 6" board, about 24 inches square, with no top, then cut a hole in the bottom a little smaller than the top of a standard 5 gallon plastic bucket,cover with screen door screen, set the box on the top of the bucket and poor the sand in it to filter out the small rocks/gravel and debris, shake the box a little and in no time you will have all the sand you need.........FREE

David
Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just checked and the filter is 14 inches square with an 8 inch hole in the middle.........
Going to try to attach pictures of the home made cabinet and filter.....

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 10-25-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I have one of the named blast cabinets too, I found that the garnet was a pain as the gun was clogging all the time.
Hoe ever the glass beads are great, I have used it for lots of small alloy and steel parts but no greasy suspension bits.