Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Question All Ford Day Geelong

This Sunday sees the running of the 2012 Geelong All Ford Day.

Whilst I had the date marked in my diary it was disappointing to find after a quick ring around that very few GT40 owners - actually none - are going.

My neighbors in Geelong who have a couple of Street Rods are also giving it a miss.

The Cobra clubs also appear to be not represented as I checked the club display sites and cannot see to many Cobras...

The 1200 plus cars that are numbered in the advertising must be made up of late model Falcons. The vintage guys don't appear to be participating.

Early All Ford Days saw hundreds of Street Rods, Cobras and classic Fords. For some reason everyone of these clubs are giving it a wide berth.

I may take Anne's car down and check it out.

Anyone going..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 02-17-2012, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

The low interest is probably becuase of the lack of CHEVs there!!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Seems odd given the number of Ford Cobras around?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have just been talking with a Cobra owner in Geelong and he was also just going to take the family car down.

I do know it is double admission price to show your car, but I don't think that would have prohibited any one from going.

Perhaps as I heard today, the need to book a spot is a contributing reason for many of us not going.

Big events such as the Picnic at Hanging Rock etc do not require prepayment and booking. I can understand that a Social Organiser within a car club would find it hard to get numbers participating, collect payment and book a site well prior to the event.

It is always hard to get busy people to pre book well out from an event.

The best cars at this All Ford Day will no doubt be out in the public carpark, as in previous years!!

Anyway the weather looks good and I will head down in Anne's classic shopping car..

Last edited by BMK; 02-18-2012 at 03:03 AM..
Old 02-19-2012, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Waste of time. No Cobras or GT40 just rows of Falcons.

Hard to get into...
Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Waste of time. No Cobras or GT40 just rows of Falcons....

Hard to get into...

I passed a large group of Street Rods whom had apparently gone down the Great Ocean Road after lining up and giving up and driving off for a cruise instead...

Seems the organizers have no idea of what a quality show car is. Many of the cars in the public car park would be draw cards and placed in prime positions. But as I heard, they were late getting there or in a couple of cases waiting for the Sorrento Queenscliff Ferry to start to get there.

The organizers stood their ground and refused to let them onto the arena. So they just turned right and went up onto the public carpark road.

Public admission was $5 with $5 to park. Yet show cars were charged $25 entry plus $5 per passenger. Any wonder the public carpark had the best examples. Owners get a little annoyed after traveling from Melbourne or further through roadworks etc. arriving late and being treated like naughty boys and girls late for class.

"you know that you should have been here earlier it is your problem not ours"

The reason he was late was the West Gate Bridge was down to two lanes from four due to roadworks. The Burnley tunnel was stopped due to road re surfacing...

I wonder how quickly this event can be stuffed!! My hesitation in driving five hours in the GT40 to get there..

The one car I climbed all over was parked up the back of the public carpark. Knowing the owner
and the cars history, I was astonished to find a Ford GT phase 3 with race history parked under the trees out of sight..

Don't want to sound like I am rubbishing the event. - just the organizers.

The lack of good cars and the fallout of Ford clubs should be sending them a message. If you want to see rows of late model Falcons you only need to go to your dealer...

Last edited by BMK; 02-19-2012 at 02:02 PM..
Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Good thread Bernie, You've hit many nails on the head here.
Lets hope it can get back to the type of event it was 10 years ago.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes Jason I am amazed at how the organizers have let such an event drop off.

I don't want to bag the event to much but the owners of cars who found them selves in the public carpark did that for me.

To see beautiful Thunderbirds, Street Rods and rare GT Fords (read as rare and as costly as a CSX numbered car) parked up in the public car park was a joke.

Sadly this is a fund raiser for charity.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I went to the first one, and a couple of others twenty odd years ago and they where certainly not precious back then.

You might find that public liability might be the issue. I entered my car into a local show last year and all vehicles had to be on site by 9:30am and couldn't be moved until the show ended at 3. The issue is cars running over show goer's, strange considering precisely that same issue is what is constantly going on in the carpark!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default All Ford

Bernie,

I went yesterday with the Ford Coupe Club ( took the XC Coupe ) I like how you have to pre enter, it must make the organisers job a heap easier.

Its only $20 to enter, you receive your map and sticker in the mail, the parking people can clearly see where you have to go......

I think its dropped off due the popularity of Hanging Rock and the proximity, only a week apart

STIFFY
Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stuffy

Think you are right as far as easier to organize as they pre set club sites.

There is possibly an issue as suggested with insurance as it is described as a static auto event.

Just interesting to see the best cars in the public carpark or cruising the Great Ocean Road.

What are you saying the Coupe is finished..
Old 02-21-2012, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
What are you saying the Coupe is finished..
Didn't you know. Stuffy is breeding them now Bernie, he has a couple.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Coupe

Bernie,

All finished,

Start

to

to this

all in 6 Months.....

Busy Stiffy
Old 02-27-2012, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bernie, we wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a good story, would we??
I thought I'd clear a few things up in case some people believed what you were writing from the safety of your keyboard.
It is definately easier to criticise than to organise.......

Quote:
Yes Jason I am amazed at how the organizers have let such an event drop off.
There was a record number of both cars and spectators, not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
I don't want to bag the event to much but the owners of cars who found them selves in the public carpark did that for me

To see beautiful Thunderbirds, Street Rods and rare GT Fords (read as rare and as costly as a CSX numbered car) parked up in the public car park was a joke.
The Arena was full bar some spots that were reserved in the club areas. Those that turned up late missed out, simple as that. If only we had a bigger venue....

Quote:
Sadly this is a fund raiser for charity.
Why sadly, would you prefer a private enterprise making a profit from it?

Quote:
Waste of time. No Cobras or GT40 just rows of Falcons....
Not sure if you were at the same event as me or you need glasses, but I saw 3 GT40's (allbeit one was a late mode Ford GT) and I only saw a small percentage of the cars

Quote:
Hard to get into...

I passed a large group of Street Rods whom had apparently gone down the Great Ocean Road after lining up and giving up and driving off for a cruise instead...

]Seems the organizers have no idea of what a quality show car is. Many of the cars in the public car park would be draw cards and placed in prime positions. But as I heard, they were late getting there or in a couple of cases waiting for the Sorrento Queenscliff Ferry to start to get there.
If we relied on these "quality" cars to turn up, there would potentially be an empty paddock.

Quote:
The organizers stood their ground and refused to let them onto the arena. So they just turned right and went up onto the public carpark road.

Public admission was $5 with $5 to park. Yet show cars were charged $25 entry plus $5 per passenger. Any wonder the public carpark had the best examples.
Wrong. Show car entry was $25, or $20 if you pre-entered. The avereage spectator car has 3.5 people so it works out about the same.

Quote:
Owners get a little annoyed after traveling from Melbourne or further through roadworks etc. arriving late and being treated like naughty boys and girls late for class.

"you know that you should have been here earlier it is your problem not ours"

The reason he was late was the West Gate Bridge was down to two lanes from four due to roadworks. The Burnley tunnel was stopped due to road re surfacing...
There were loads of people from Melbournes eastern suburbs who managed to plan their trip and got there quite early. It was well documented on all of the Ford based forums (except this one maybe) and Vicroads website about the roadworks.

Quote:
I wonder how quickly this event can be stuffed!! My hesitation in driving five hours in the GT40 to get there..
????

Quote:
The one car I climbed all over was parked up the back of the public carpark. Knowing the owner
and the cars history, I was astonished to find a Ford GT phase 3 with race history parked under the trees out of sight..

Don't want to sound like I am rubbishing the event. - just the organizers.
That's exactly what it sounds like...... Judging by the theme of your pre event post, you were hoping for disappointment.
The organisers are a small group of dedicated VOLUNTEERS from Kiwanis, a local service club. This is their main fundraiser for the years charity activities. Negative slurs like this are, well, a bit distastefull and offensive.

Quote:
The lack of good cars and the fallout of Ford clubs should be sending them a message.
The list of Ford clubs attending grows each year. There were 3 new ones this time round.

Quote:
If you want to see rows of late model Falcons you only need to go to your dealer...
Yes there are a lot of Falcons, but that's because they are out there in much bigger numbers and have a huge following. Unfortunately, we can't reserve areas for clubs or types of cars in the hope that they "might" turn up on the day if the weather's nice and they've had a nice sleep in.
Obviously we would like to see more Cobra's, Street rods, old American Iron etc., but it just seems to difficult to get them there.
We have also been asking for more Car club assistance in the organising of the event to inject the "car culture" and new ideas/improvements, but nobody is interested. Of the committee, I am the only one that is involved in a car club.
As someone mentioned earlier, the Public Liability insuance puts strict guidelines on vehicle movements after the advertised spectator opening time.

Cheers,
Tony Porter
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mmmm guess a few people would be wondering how I am going to respond to this Post..

Whoaa.... well it has been a while since anyone accused me of "..hiding behind a keyboard Gee does that mean I am not willing to say it to someones face..

Well let me tell you tp351 that anything I have said, I am more than a willing to say to your face tp351.

Put simply, you don't know me, so don't have the audacity to come on this site with your first Post and accuse me of basically hiding behind a keyboard. I will stand by what I have said and the Post here where I have made observation and Posted questions.

Then you accuse me basically of "not letting the facts get in the way of a good story..." In any one's language and certainly my interpretation, you are calling someone a liar by posting this..... Please let me know if I have misunderstood your Post.

Again, you don't know me, so don't assume you know me.

The facts are the good Ford show cars stayed away in droves. Facts are very few Cobras and yes only two or three GT40 turned up. I did see the GT from Nhill...

I personally could not care one bit if this event is run by volunteers or private individuals. So don't hide behind the volunteer banner tp351. It is no excuse for a badly attended event by Cobra and GT40 owners.

Don't run a volunteer line, as if you believe it is a badge of honour. Every member on this Forum has spent many volunteer hours, showing cars, supporting events, taking joy rides for kids etc.

To come on this Forum and then make comments that you and your All Ford Day members cannot rely on quality cars to turn up is indicative of your lack of understanding of a quality event. The Picnic is a classic example of "we car owners turning up in droves to support the volunteers there"

Hell, I re read every Post here and I am dammed if I can see any slur or offensive comment. Whoops a bit thin skinned tp351 I think..

Big deal you are involved in a car club. I have a shed full of cars and it does not make me an expert.

But then again, I think I am a reasonably good judge of events...

My wife and I have organised the largest ever, one (1) day event held in Victoria with more exhibitors, traders and show vehicles than any other event to date. This event was well documented by auto magazines.

At another event my wife and I had major sponsors including the State Government, Major Events Victoria, the Air Force, the RAAF Museum, the National Aerospace Museum along with Harley, Shell, Dulux and many others involved in the largest ever event involving aircraft, watercraft and road vehicles ever held. Put simply, I think I know a bit about events.

2500 show vehicles, 300 traders along with hundreds of race cars etc...tp351

The comments I heard and Posted were from real people in real quality show cars that were stuck in two lanes in tunnels or two lanes on the Westgate Bridge. Unusually high levels of traffic, that you as a Geelong resident would probably never experience.

These guys were parked in the public carpark next to me debating their next move. Go into the All Ford Day or head off for a drive?.

These guys treated like naughty boys for being late and told,," ....you know the rules".

I am not sure how you relate charging $20 dollars for show cars pre entered or $25 for me as I turned up late in my show car with the Public paying $5 per head.

Your thinking does not add up. Alone in my GT40 I paid $5 to park in the Public car park and $5 to enter as a pedestrian - $10 total.. $20 or $25 to show my car..

No show cars no show...

Mmmm and I standby my predictions - as they turned out to be spot on.. I certaintly did not arrive disappointed, as I knew what to expect.

MMMmm guess readers are getting the theme of this event - treat the car owners like second rate citizens if they turn up a little late or don't pre enter.

If your early to the All Ford Day you are held up in long lines and taken on road tours around the grounds to eventually get into the event. If your late your treated like grap. Even if you are driving possibly the best car that could have been displayed. That is the response I got from Cobra and Gt40 owners I spoke with prior to the event.

If you see it as criticism then work with it tp351 and don't come on this Forum with your first Post tp351 accusing me of hiding behind keyboards and being a liar (my interpretation of your first line)

I checked who was going from our Cobra and GT40 friends and most - actually all said no way. So I certainly was not disappointed tp351

Yes, I felt the event was going to be disappointing and I went there knowing that and left my show car up in the public carpark.

Last edited by BMK; 02-29-2012 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Tonned down my response to this !^&*#
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys

Sorry for that long Post.

I predicted this event would be average and I was not disappointed..

BMK
Old 02-29-2012, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stiffy

The Coupe looks great. You certainly made great progress since I saw the car after the Federation Square display. So you left the Cobra and the Daytona in the garage.

Any room there for a car or two I am getting crowded here now.

Shelby 427 aluminium engine arrives from Shelby this week.

The aluminium body is being brushed this week. Look sensational. Look forward to driving it down. Just waiting on other parts now.

BMK
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Bernie,

Firstly, I know exactly who you are and did meet you many years ago when you were campaigning for support for your Wings Wheels & Water and we as a club actually helped you with distribution of promotional material.

Ok, I'll admit that the opening line was a bit harsh, but after being around the forums for quite some time you get used to people posting stuff that they wouldn't be game to say in the person. I can tell that you would be more than happy to repeat what you wrote, so that comment was a bit provacative.

I didn't call you a liar, more I was pointing out that you left out some important facts that gave a distorted view of the event.

The way your post read, to summarise was "Hey Cobra & GT40 owners, don't ever go to this event again because it was crap and there were no cars there". That idea that a car show that doesn't have a large contingent of Cobra's & GT40's is automatically crap is simply not right. Different shows mean differnt things to different people. I actually remember that certain sections of the car fraterity gave your show a wide berth also, but thats their personal choice whether to go or not.
I'm sure if someone had of publically bagged you after the WWW show, you would have been defensive as well and wouldve expected to be able to have a right of reply.

The reason I pointed out that it was a charity organisation, is that I do remember the general banter at the time was about your event profiting a single entity, ie: you. (whether true or not, I can't comment as I don't know the facts).
I can't understand if it was such a success, why it didn't continue.

We actually worked with our contacts from the Cobra and GT40 clubs for years reserving space for you guys to park, and making allowances for the fact that some had to travel from large distances. But only a few of the reserved spaces were ever filled, leaving huge gaps in the show. We introduced the pre-entry system to help manage the reserved areas and to alleviate the huge queues that were a major issue. We haven't had those lines for the last 3 years. Pre-entered cars drive straight in without delay. In 2010 & 2011 the Cobra & GT40 clubs declined having any interest in reserving space, the reason given was that "the owners would decide on the on the morning whether they would attend or not and would take their chances on the day". Most people don't mind taking the risk on the weather and paying the $20, since it goes to charity. (We have people ringing to cancel their registration and refusing refunds). So, yes we would love more of your cars at the event, but there needs to be some flexibility.

Having the entry fee slightly higher than the average public parking does stop most people bringing their everyday sh!tters onto the arena, which was issue that was getting more prevalent a few years ago. Having said that, I don't necessarily agree with the pricing structure, but I get little influence in that area.

On the volunteer thing, you missed my point. What I was trying to say was that the majority of the organisers are not "car people" so they have no idea on what constitutes a show car. Rather it is open to anybody who owns a Ford to bring their car along.

Your feedback, coming from somebody with event history, would be much better received as constuctive criticism directed to the committee, with some suggestions on how you think the event could be improved rather than a public bagging. This thread was bought to my attention by a friend who googled the event looking for some photos, so what you write here is very public.
Or better yet, I would invite you to become involved in some sort of consultancy role.

Cheers,
Tony Porter
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 registered Brushed Kirkham polished stripes, 427 FE kieth craft 482 efi.ss chassis and all the go gear .
Not Ranked     

Shelby 427 aluminium engine arrives from Shelby this week.

The aluminium body is being brushed this week. Look sensational. Look forward to driving it down. Just waiting on other parts now.

BMK[/quote]

Liar......

Bernie where are the photos ?

Soul.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Soulman

Shelby 427 (468ci) - all aliminium body brushed whoa it was my dream.

Seriously, I will get some photos on shortly (Craig may Post photos!!) just a chassis and body and I am waiting on parts. Watch your emails tomorrow....

Talk soon mate.