Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Talking Made Shelbys 50th in California

After heading into Pomona I quickly settled in to the Fairplex complex and went Cobra and GT40 hunting. The display area was in the rear carpark directly opposite and outside the NHRA museum. Bob Bonfurant had a great display of cars including original Cobras and GT40s. It was also great to see DenBeste Motorsports there as I have just purchased a Shelby engine from them - 468 all aluminium. The guys there made me feel I had made a good decision. I plan to visit them on my way back at their premises north of San Fran. Anyway back to wandering around CSX cars again...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Can see pictures at (BergstromS Photography: SoCal's Finest Digital Imagery CDs, DVDs, Prints, Videos) , I have no connection a card was left in my car. Went to site and clicked on current events, then shelby reunion , then to badge to view.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for adding these. I was about to add a few photos...

It is not that often that you see so many CSX cars in one location and able to get close toooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by razerwire View Post
Can see pictures at (BergstromS Photography: SoCal's Finest Digital Imagery CDs, DVDs, Prints, Videos) , I have no connection a card was left in my car. Went to site and clicked on current events, then shelby reunion , then to badge to view.

Last edited by BMK; 04-22-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

I had a fantastic time with my 9 year old son. We usually have these events pass us by, but I stuck to this one and was one of the first there. I was also there for the panel discussion which I also was able to be part of. I was not even a thought in the 60's, so I am glad I can be part of the history or at least tell part of it to my children, and my son will be able to get to tell his kids about it. We just had the best of luck, getting everyone's signature, running into Bob Bondurant and his wife and my son being pictured in a red 289. No one snooted at us replica drivers, no one treated me any different. We went to the museum 3 times, looked at the Cobras over and over again, and I think everyone here would be extremely proud to know that the majority of REAL Cobras there are fully UNrestored. Patina like you would not believe. The more, the better and the more authentic, in my opinion it made the fully restored ones look fragile, almost like glass. The difference between a running racer and a piece of art and the art looked out of place even at a museum. The years of abuse and multi-layers of paint and stone chips never looked better. It was just awesome...pure car passion and nice people to boot. My car, renumbered the #97 (used to be 13 a day prior) was honored to be next to some of the originals, was video taped, interviewed as a owner (yes, I told them it was a replica) and was photographed over and over again. All this and I got to do this with my son, I truly hope he look back at this moment with a grin.

I am going to get the print of the autographs framed with my entry tag and a photo of my son and I at the show in front of the museum with the Car. It's a day I will not forget for sure and was happy to say I was there.

Lastly, as I start budgeting a new build for the future I observed first hand a show of the best most Authentic Mustangs both new and old, Vipers, GT40s MKI, II and IV, 2 of the six King Cobras and the attention grabbers are always the Cobras by no comparison. Its not to knock on or off anyone's fabulous piece of history or showmanship, build etc. it's just that the Cobras stole the show both on and off the track. Damn I loved that Mk IV.

Last edited by Xavier; 04-22-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Xavier

Fantastic I met Bob Bondurant at Fontana Raceway at the Shelby American Auto Club event. He was just wandering around talking with people. I just walked up and spoke with him. He was very gracious and took the time to point out a few Cobras and Daytonas that were of real interest to him.

Great to hear you enjoyed the event. I loved that Ford F100 in white and yellow just near the front of the NHRA museum entrance.

Lance from Hillbank had a few Superformance cars there also - so replicas and continuation cars were well represented.

I agree, I also like the older original cars. Lynn Park has a few unrestored cars with tattered or torn seats - well used. They look great.

Cheers Bernie
Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

You might enjoy some of the comments and photos here:

Road racing at Pomona - The AUTOSPORT Bulletin Board
Old 04-24-2012, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Autoblog USA has posted a wonderful gallery of 60 photos. Here are some of the highlights.

The very first production car (CSX2001)

The Shelby driving school car (CSX2005)

Two original-owner cars (CSX2006 owned by jazz musician Herbie Hancock, and CSX2227 owned by Hank Williams)

A 289 FIA factory team race car (CSX2259)

The only Stage 3 factory-prepped Dragon Snake (CSX2427)

Three 427 competition and S/C "semi-competition" roadsters (CSX3016, CSX3026 and CSX3047), all owned by Anthony Boosalis (lucky bum!)

And two Cooper Monaco King Cobras (CM/1/63 and CM/6/64)

Last edited by SunDude; 10-03-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I am going to get the print of the autographs framed with my entry tag and a photo of my son and I at the show in front of the museum with the Car. It's a day I will not forget for sure and was happy to say I was there.
Well don't frame it just yet. I presume your name is Allen? Hello, I'm Dave MacDonald's son Rich and of course we were at Shelby's event this weekend too.

Again presuming you are Allen, my mother saw the post you left in the guestbook of my father's tribute site (thank you for the kind words btw) and she felt terrible that you didn't get her signiture ... so much so that she sent me on an all out search to find you . Anyway she was hoping you were local because she wants to personally meet with you to sign your poster. You can pm me with an email address if you'd like. But for the record, she didn't leave right away, she actually stayed there about 45 minutes signing autographs - so you must have just missed each other. Check here: Shelby Cobra racer Dave MacDonald - Shelby 50yr Reunion

Sincerely,

Rich

Last edited by Daveymac; 04-25-2012 at 12:22 AM..
Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rich

What a neat offer. Indicative of the friendship and welcome that owners, racers along with the wonderful story tellers shared.

I hope you can find Xavier on site. He was one of many Dads and Mums wandering around with their children reinforcing future generations will continue the interest in the marque for many more years.

Bernie
Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Thanks for those amazing photos SunDude. The black wheels and polished spinners on the first one look so right.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

Rich,

You are right on the money - I am Allen. Just got back to the site and seen your reply. I must have missed your Mom in the crowd, I had a feeling I missed her. I did scan the room as best as I could (with a 9 year old pressing me on to look at the cars again). I very much appreciate the offer, the reply on this forum and the investigation. A response to your PM has been sent.

Thanks again! Looks like the great memories from last weekend just keep going on. Whose complaining?

Last edited by Xavier; 04-25-2012 at 04:14 PM..