Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     
Default Undercarriage finishes?

Forgive the pun but a bit of a broad brush request. I will shortly be stripping all of the suspension and drivetrain components from my build in preparation for a final assembly. Some items are standard components from automotive manufactures (cross member, control arms, steering rack, etc) and some are steel items I have fabricated. Some of the one-off and fabricated components have surface rust (CV couplings with threaded holes, etc) due to the duration of the build.

I would appreciate any suggestion on the types of finishes I should consider for all the undercarriage components – e.g. paint (light or dark colour and type); powder coating (light or dark colour); cad plating, etc., or even items which might be left untreated, e.g. diff housing.

It’s not a trailer queen, just something I want to go touring in. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAllen View Post
I would appreciate any suggestion on the types of finishes I should consider for all the undercarriage components – e.g. paint (light or dark colour and type); powder coating (light or dark colour); cad plating, etc., or even items which might be left untreated, e.g. diff housing.
POR15 .... pick your colour. Black is good on diffs, drive shafts LCA's etc.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Have a look at the products from POR15. Lots of Cobra guys have had good results with them.

Personally I would not reccomend powder coating for this area. The problem with Powder coating is that it can chip and when it does usually a big chunk falls off. The coating is nice but any coating is only a stong as it's bond to the material under it. With the stones and junk flying round under the car it will get chipped and leave an area of bare metal exposed to the elements.

Many of the new paints out there like POR15 will have a better bond with the surface than powder coating.

Cheers

Cheers

Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

This is just a suggestion so dont shoot me down if not suitable however I used these guys for a number of items.

Hot black oxide.

Black Oxide Metal Finishers, Tool Makers Victoria | Bluing, Surface Protective Coatings, Electroplaters
Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I used por15 as an under coat and then 2pack over the top. My intention is that it should only chip through to the por15. For the underbody I am going to use kahguard based on recommendation from the paint shop. I plan to paint over the body deadner with gloss black por15. There's pics in my gallery.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
For the underbody I am going to use kahguard based on recommendation from the paint shop. I plan to paint over the body deadner with gloss black por15. There's pics in my gallery.
Here is a similar product from the POR15 mob. I've not used it but a mate has it in his wheel arches and it looks and feels fantastic.

http://www.ppcco.com.au/kits7.htm

Mind you, it would want to be given it's price.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Powder coating is very popular, but more expensive than wet spray (particularly for large items). If it chips, the damaged area on a powder coated surface is more difficult to repair effectively. Powder coating is slightly more porous than a wet spray (but not much in it). I would go with a wet spray.
I don't know anything about POR15 other than what I've read. It sounds like good stuff.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Don't go with cad plating...it goes real dirty after a while. Especially the 'gold' finish. I bought a Nickle Cobalt plating plant and did all the suspension parts. I could have gone the total show polish finish but I would still be polishing stuff. I decided for a glass bead finish and all the bits came out looking like satin stainless steel. Alas the supplier of the plating plant got way too many questions etc on his email so he folded his business. I've found a supplier for the anodes but when the chemicals become depleted I'm stuffed.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Here is a similar product from the POR15 mob. I've not used it but a mate has it in his wheel arches and it looks and feels fantastic.

http://www.ppcco.com.au/kits7.htm

Mind you, it would want to be given it's price.
I forgot about that stuff. PPC are only 10 mins drive away, i might pop in and see if they have a sample i can touch and feel.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAllen View Post
Forgive the pun but a bit of a broad brush request. I will shortly be stripping all of the suspension and drivetrain components from my build in preparation for a final assembly. Some items are standard components from automotive manufactures (cross member, control arms, steering rack, etc) and some are steel items I have fabricated. Some of the one-off and fabricated components have surface rust (CV couplings with threaded holes, etc) due to the duration of the build.

It’s not a trailer queen, just something I want to go touring in. Thanks
Having a look at your photo, i would go with POR 15. Its thick and it doesnt matter if you dont get rid of all the rust. The amount of prep you would need for other paints wouldnt be worth it if not going for a show finish.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

I've been using HPC performance coatings in Leongatha for a lot of my bits and pieces,
They have apearance coatings that are far more durable than paints and powdercoating,
and incredibly chip resistant.

HPC - High Performance Coatings

regards
Dave
Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I've been using HPC performance coatings in Leongatha for a lot of my bits and pieces,
They have apearance coatings that are far more durable than paints and powdercoating,
and incredibly chip resistant.

HPC - High Performance Coatings

regards
Dave
Ditto HPC in Leongatha Vic - they've done some of my stuff (including Hi-temp ceramic coating on the headers), and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Not all that much more expensive than the por15 stuff.
Ultimately cost would depend on size, if area is large, por15 would be more cost effective, but for suspension pieces and drive arms, the HPC finish is pretty much show quality.