Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Modern day electronics, running the mod motors, or any modern motor for that matter, helps drivability also, they don't pay the computer Ford gurus for nothing.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Inch for inch, I think the mod motors are pretty darned good. They are an excellent option for people who want a good solid crate engine that starts when you turn the key, will get the groceries on Friday, and streak down the drag strip on Saturday.

If you want big power numbers, it seems that you need forced induction. Blowers seems to be the most popular in the US - probably because of the ease of installation. But there are some turbo kits available.

However, there is one important consideration - heat. I'v raced with a few of supercharged cars - a couple of blown Mustangs, and and a blown Corvette. They are really fast for 2-3 laps, and then they're done. They heat soak and the computer shuts them down. OTOH, my NA stroker is making the same lap times at the end as it is in the beginning. There's a lot to be said for that.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MK111 Ford 5.0 Cammer N/A
Not Ranked     

So with a modern motor and computer you should be able to have the best of both worlds revs and streetabilty.
LJ
Old 06-03-2012, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I would love a supercharged corvette for the street, of topic, but i want one.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Inch for inch, I think the mod motors are pretty darned good. They are an excellent option for people who want a good solid crate engine that starts when you turn the key, will get the groceries on Friday, and streak down the drag strip on Saturday.

If you want big power numbers, it seems that you need forced induction. Blowers seems to be the most popular in the US - probably because of the ease of installation. But there are some turbo kits available.
I would agree with you in a NY minute Bob. The turbo guys actually make some scary big HP numbers but in terms of a high torque value at the crack of the throttle and the attendant precision feel it returns to the cockpit and driver the positive displacement blowers are pretty darn impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
However, there is one important consideration - heat. I'v raced with a few of supercharged cars - a couple of blown Mustangs, and and a blown Corvette. They are really fast for 2-3 laps, and then they're done. They heat soak and the computer shuts them down. OTOH, my NA stroker is making the same lap times at the end as it is in the beginning. There's a lot to be said for that.
Heat soak on any of the blown engines is a big issue. Increasingly there have been incremental improvements in handling the problem. One of the most creative and certainly continuous because of the process energy source has to be these guys, click here => Killer Chiller

Their chilling system employs a very creative approach using an AC pump and a dedicated chiller to ice down a one or two gallon reservoir of coolant for the air to water intercooler. The chiller can take two gallons to freezing (you need to run some anti-freeze) in about two minutes if you run a two pump system. One pump recirculates coolant between the chiler and the reservoir and the other between the reservoir and the intercooler.

The after blower air temps can get down to ambient or less pretty easily. The system is quite impressive.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's the view of an older hot rodder - from the street level.

The point of the discussion is really which motor can the average guy build to get horsepower. Mod motors are factory motors, and it's the only choice the factory has to race with or make cars. That's based on 1) cost 2) emissions. It's what Ford decided it needed to work with going forward. These cam motors do well in factory hands, and yes, make a lot of horsepower - with a highly trained and degreed engineering staff behind it.

For the guy on the street - it's much different. He hears about his neighbor's truck spitting plugs out the block, the intake leaking antifreeze, the plastic manifold, and lord help the guy who flips off the cam chains - there's no index marks to time it back again, it's a $350 min machine shop charge locally. Those in the know still have to buy the $150 kit to clamp the cams down.

It Is Not User Friendly.

Look at the other side of the VS - a Dart block? We're talking aftermarket support so deep you can pick and choose non Ford blocks to whatever level of horsepower you need. All it takes is money, whether in cubic yards or a credit limit. What you can get is a 427 - from a 351W. It can be a crate block built for racing, with seriously cast and hand ported heads, plus all the allied parts specifically developed, and most of them waiting on the shelf.

Mod motors don't have that depth of parts or support on the market. In a large degree, it doesn't exist because the cars that debuted with them came at a time when severely restrictive emissions laws were in place, and very few could do much with them. But - the Windsor motors go back to the '60s, and so do the cars that had them. All those owners aren't moving up to mod motors. There's no reason to, unlike the pre 63 owners who largely dumped the Y block back then, and even lately, the FE's.

Mod motors are what you are forced to buy in a car to meet draconian emissions standards, Windsors are what somebody builds to have fun at the track, strip, cruising, at shows, etc. because HE can screw it together and not pay a mechanic or buy expensive tools.

I'm glad I'm not stuck with a mod motor or a car that's required to use it.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirod View Post

The point of the discussion is really which motor can the average guy build to get horsepower. Mod motors are factory motors, and it's the only choice the factory has to race with or make cars. That's based on 1) cost 2) emissions. It's what Ford decided it needed to work with going forward. These cam motors do well in factory hands, and yes, make a lot of horsepower - with a highly trained and degreed engineering staff behind it.

For the guy on the street - it's much different. He hears about his neighbor's truck spitting plugs out the block, the intake leaking antifreeze, the plastic manifold, and lord help the guy who flips off the cam chains - there's no index marks to time it back again, it's a $350 min machine shop charge locally. Those in the know still have to buy the $150 kit to clamp the cams down.

It Is Not User Friendly.

Look at the other side of the VS - a Dart block? We're talking aftermarket support so deep you can pick and choose non Ford blocks to whatever level of horsepower you need. All it takes is money, whether in cubic yards or a credit limit. What you can get is a 427 - from a 351W. It can be a crate block built for racing, with seriously cast and hand ported heads, plus all the allied parts specifically developed, and most of them waiting on the shelf.

Mod motors don't have that depth of parts or support on the market. In a large degree, it doesn't exist because the cars that debuted with them came at a time when severely restrictive emissions laws were in place, and very few could do much with them. But - the Windsor motors go back to the '60s, and so do the cars that had them. All those owners aren't moving up to mod motors. There's no reason to, unlike the pre 63 owners who largely dumped the Y block back then, and even lately, the FE's.

Mod motors are what you are forced to buy in a car to meet draconian emissions standards, Windsors are what somebody builds to have fun at the track, strip, cruising, at shows, etc. because HE can screw it together and not pay a mechanic or buy expensive tools.

The problem we have in Oz is that we can't register a Cobra replica as a 64-67 model car-the rego authorities here just won't allow it. That being said the engines we use MUST pass specific emission rules, which vary from state to state-hence people looking at alternative power sources-including those supplied by Govt. Motors !!-Bleah !
It now comes down to being expedient to get the mongrel registered. But as I previously said I'm more than happy to use a Mod motor, and 6 speed g'box and rear gears anything from low 3's to 4.6:1 to match what I'm doing at the time-and not run outta rev's
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirod View Post

It Is Not User Friendly.

Tirod makes some good points here. the engine has had more than it's share of whoopses along the development path - that's for sure and the bad news. The good news is all the guys who have gone before you have already noodled out the fixes for these problems including Ford. The engine as it stands today in factory supercharged trim is exceptional both in terms of components and in durability.

From an aftermarket block standpoint there are alternatives to the Ford offering - although the FGT versions are stunningly good blocks. World Products has made blocks for Sean Hyland who currently is the source for the block. They are reportedly good for 2000+ HP. They look like miniature Keith Black blocks but for Mod Motors. Ford does not ignore the engine either. They actually offer several performance versions available in both aluminum and a special high strength cast iron.

In the end however it is not a matter of what the guys before you did or even the factory, it all comes down to what you want for your personal engine in your car - and no one is better qualified to make that determination than you. That means that what ever you choose to do is automatically right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog246 View Post
The problem we have in Oz is that we can't register a Cobra replica as a 64-67 model car-the rego authorities here just won't allow it. That being said the engines we use MUST pass specific emission rules, which vary from state to state-hence people looking at alternative power sources-including those supplied by Govt. Motors !!-Bleah !
It now comes down to being expedient to get the mongrel registered. But as I previously said I'm more than happy to use a Mod motor, and 6 speed g'box and rear gears anything from low 3's to 4.6:1 to match what I'm doing at the time-and not run outta rev's
Rog
Rog, is suffering under the heavy hand of a Dept of Motor Vehicles misplaced nanny-state initiative that trys to protect us from things that can't hurt us. The amount of emissions that the Cobra replicas contribute to the air quality in Australia is a distinction without a difference. That said they are still the ones that make the rules so he is stuck in the uncomfortable position of having to comply with them.

Those nanny-state rules are the primary reason so many Chevrolet powered Cobras exist is OZ. Ford was slow on the draw with their "green" crate engines and the builders filled the vacuum with the only alternatives available to them - can't really blame them for that.

Today it is a different story because Ford finally caught on and got their keyster in gear. The current blown versions of the Mod Motor still need some after market loving but precious little. The complexity of working with the electronics has been substantially mitigated by aftermarket software that can manipulate the tuning variables to your heart's content and Ford even sells complete versions of the electronics stripped down to meet the demands of kit car builders. It is a different world than it once was.

In the final analysis though, the correct engine is whatever the builder wants for his personal ride. Always has been and hopefully always will be.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Ed,
Most of us over here with LS powered Cobras either don't like Fords or wanted a light powerful engine that had a huge aftermarket with go fast bits available.
Plain and simple.

Ford are getting their act together now with the Coyote, but they are about 15 years behind the ball.