Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Interesting. I suppose you could get a mettalic gel coat, like a skiboat.
Can the chassis be ordered to hold a 351? And a 9"rear?
JD
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Yep JD, at least in a Harrison. Give Warwick a call.
Not sure about Craig's cars, I'm sure he'll pipe up.

On the budget issue, I had about $50k in mind and blew it out (just like everyone else) but, as long as you have the drive to get it finished, I found that during the time you take to build the car that you can put a few more $$ aside to complete the next bit.

That's the beauty of these kits, you don't need to buy it all up front, just buy stages. Importantly, remember to purchase from a supplier who's got a proven record in the business, will support you and be around when you need to buy the next box of goodies.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

And have a read of the threads warning what not to buy.

As I said earlier, cheap start does not equate to cheap finish.............. If you get it at all.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have just talked to Vehicle inspections. And they say the engine,even on dedicated gas, Has to meet adr 3701. So it has to be after 1988.
JD
Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncobra View Post
Bernie, there's a gelcoat red cobra in our club, polished up with silver stripes, you'd never know it wasn't duco.

And it's a Harrison
But unfortunately it didn't come from the factory like that. I expect for the cost of the extensive gelcoat work on that Cobra, you could have painted it in 2 pac.

We really do produce full gloss perfectly straight bodies right out of the mould. Any colour you like. We also offer as an option to de-seam them. Perfect body finish for full-time or part-time track use or a basic finish for street car. It also has the added benefit of looking nice when we supply the kit to customers and certainly helps with acceptance from partners, friends and family.

I think most manufacturers can supply kits to suit 351, we certainly will. We won't be supporting Ford 9".
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
I have just talked to Vehicle inspections. And they say the engine,even on dedicated gas, Has to meet adr 3701. So it has to be after 1988.
JD
Never heard of that before, technically you should be able to use any engine on dedicated LPG under ADR 37/01. But not many people take the LPG option these days so the requirements in each state are not well known . Problem with the registration system is that each state controls the process and requirements are different in each state. And there it is not well documented. I'm not suggesting it is, but this could even be just someones opinion or interpretation.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

My 1987 Windsor on dedicated gas was fine under 37/01.

Cheers
Old 06-19-2012, 01:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Is there club rego in SA? Might simplify things.

As for cost, I have spent low 30s on mine so far with only a small amount of part left to buy and then rego should see it under $40k. Thats with buying my body and chassis for $6k. I have done everything myself except drive shaft. That is with fabricating everything fuel tank, windscreen frame and various other bits and pieces. I'm just polishing up a washer tank I also fabricated.

You can build a car for $40k but it takes a lot longer unless you are lucky enough to work full time on it. If you need to pay someone to do it I would buy the most complete kit you can regardless of cost because it will be cheaper in the long run. Sounds like you can work on it yourself though.

Some cheap 2nd hand cobras have been changing hands with the current economy. This is a good way to go without rego headaches. Alternatively an unfinished project on eBay.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The first time I rang today, they said a old 351 on gas was fine. Then i rang later to ask about side pipes. I got a different guy, explaining you can, but you won't be able to get them quiet enough. I mentioned the 351. And he said no about the gas 351. Unless I get a $3000 gas analisys, engineer report etc. He suggests I put In a form requisting what I want to do, and go from there. Everystate is different. Why are the cars in the US so cheap?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Contact me if you want to talk, I know of 2 cars for sale in Adelaide at the moment that you could look at. My contact details on are on a PM I have sent you. John
Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
But unfortunately it didn't come from the factory like that. I expect for the cost of the extensive gelcoat work on that Cobra, you could have painted it in 2 pac.
It's true it certainly didn't come out of the moulds like that, not sure what Phil spent on the seams etc, but interesting thought......
Old 06-19-2012, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think a 2nd hand Cobra is an avenue worth looking at with the current 2nd hand market and spend the time restoring it and getting it the way you want it. I would definitely contact Just Dreamin, he is a great guy and be worth seeing what options there are locally. That's if you have the funds available upfront, if you don't then you will need to get very aggressive to get the build well below the $50k mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncobra View Post
It's true it certainly didn't come out of the moulds like that, not sure what Phil spent on the seams etc, but interesting thought......
It's more than just the parting seams, you need to level the body where those seams are, then also finish off and coat the edges of doors, boot and bonnet and repair any defects etc. I suspect the entire body has been re-coated in gelcoat, rubbed back and polished. Phil didn't do it, he purchased the car that way. It's a beatiful job, but time consuming and expensive if you had to pay someone to do it.

I'm hoping my customers see the benefit of high quality full gloss body panels as I have invested significantly in that approach. I think it is a winner on many fronts. To get to where we are now, took a unique approach to plug creation and finish, then same with mould and even the way the bodies are constructed/layed up. It's not an easy process and required a lot of development. as mentioned marine manufacturers do it, but their body shapes are generally not as complex. Due to the complexity, that's probably why other Cobra manufacturers here have not attempted it to the level we have. They might not see the benefit in it either.

Last edited by 400TT; 06-19-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I didn't know the history prior to Phil buying the car, thanks for expanding on it Craig. I know process of finishing and painting my car was well beyond my ability.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new cars in the flesh.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Jaydee: strongly suggest you ask as many Cobra people as possible (here is a good place to check) before buying anything on ebay

Craig: what diff is the Pace chassis setup for? I understand you are using fabricated suspension components, I'm assuming you are not fabricating a diff......
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
The first time I rang today, they said a old 351 on gas was fine. Then i rang later to ask about side pipes. I got a different guy, explaining you can, but you won't be able to get them quiet enough. I mentioned the 351. And he said no about the gas 351. Unless I get a $3000 gas analisys, engineer report etc. He suggests I put In a form requisting what I want to do, and go from there. Everystate is different. Why are the cars in the US so cheap?
Here is a link to an engineer in S.A who may be able to assist with your queries more than a public servant.

Rory Thompson Services

Cars in the US are considerably cheaper but quite different to those that are required to meet Aust. standards. That could be saved for another topic.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
Craig: what diff is the Pace chassis setup for? I understand you are using fabricated suspension components, I'm assuming you are not fabricating a diff......
ZF 8.3" unit as used by Holden in VE Commodore, also in Camaro etc. Used by some of the largest Cobra manufacturers overseas as well. Wide ratio choice, reliable and price competitive. Also you have bolt-in upgrade centres for large horsepower installs. Everything else in the rear is fabricated, uses a pushrod suspension setup, but have kept the bearings oem compatible in spec, so that we keep our and owners options open.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Zedn, to answer your question, SA has no club rego scheme at present. However the transport dept strives for a consistant set standards and regulations between the states????
Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks leroy. I'll give them a ring.
There is a 2004 model being sold here, with a carby 302 setup?
It says finished in 2012, commenced in 2004. New- fully rebuilt from scratch?
Is it built or rebuilt? confusing. It's going for 48.ooo.
JD
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

There is a cheap Harrison on ebay at the moment... finishes in 9 min.

It may need work to suit your requirements.... just a thought.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have a few mates in SA with Valiants on club rego. So the system is in SA

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.