Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     
Default DBA 2 piece rotors/Calipers

Can anyone advise......

Im looking for a front set of 330mm slotted front rotors in a 2 piece configuration if possible. I like the DBA 5000 series. The 343mm are just too tight for my application (Thanks Aussie Mike for the lend !!).

Im running a Holden VT/VZ offset and stud pattern so anywhere around a 50mm or 2" hat will do depending on rotor thickness.
If anyone has something they are looking to shift that would suit, let me know. Will consider 28 and 32mm thick applications. Interested in calipers also, 4 or 6 piston. Im running 17" rims so cant get to carried away.

If the 2 piece thing doesnt pan out, I will go with the DBA 4000 T3 at 330mm & 32 rotors. The VT/VZ offsets are fine and the R8 ,Clubsport units go straight on. Any suppliers people wish to recommend would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
Chris L
Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Rotors

Chris,

I use the DBA 5000 series on the front of the Daytona, I have to skim about 30mm from them to make them fit, I am running 15" rims.

I am using Wilwood 6 spots on the front, much better caliper than the
standard VT/VE Commodore and a great range of pads form Summit.

I have found Hghtek Brakes in Moorabbin 9553 1160 to be about the cheapest and great service. You will need to order the 5000 series.

STIFFY
Old 06-24-2012, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cheers Stiffy for the info.
I have some Wilwoods specs on the short list, some 6 piston and some 4's as well that will all suit a 13.06 or 330mm rotor. These will fit under the 17" Vintage wheels I have ordered.
Thought it would be a good idea to throw it out there locally before committing to any gear from overseas. You just dont know who has what and if they are using them or not.
Im hoping to find some hats and rotors here and maybe grab some calipers from the US to suit. But will try to cover all options before parting with the hard earned !!.

Cheers
Chris
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

I don't know if this old chestnut has been discussed here or not. There were some engineers who would not accept Wilwoods because the calipers had no dust seals on the pistons. I raised this with the then RTA and was advised they had no issues with un-sealed pistons. Likewise my approving engineer was happy to approve them. That was some time ago when I bought them and they have been just sitting waiting to be fitted.

I again today read the NCOP for brakes and see that from Jan 2011 seals are required http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._01Jan2011.pdf (see 2.7.2)

Does anyone know the real state of play?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

Mine was also passed with wilwoods on the front on 330mm 2 piece rotors....I am upgrading to six piston calipers at present and have 17" roh 3 piece rims ....on a trial fit the bolts on rims are just touching the calipers ...Thanks to stiffy's advice above I think I will only have to remove 5mm off the rotor and make a new caliper mount and it will cure the problem...Thanks Stiffy
Old 06-24-2012, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I have a pair of AP 4 spots with 330mm 1 piece rotors (thanks Mike) and have found them to be great, anything bigger may just be overkill I think.
My tyres lock up or go off waaaaaay before the brakes are ever going to!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

We run 348mm rotor with 4 Piston Brembo Calipers under 17" Vintage Wheels. That is our standard brake package. Most 4 piston calipers should fit under 17" wheels with a rotor size of up to 350mm.

We purchase both calipers and rotors directly from overseas. Unfortunately just not cost effective from local suppliers.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
Chris,
I have found Hghtek Brakes in Moorabbin 9553 1160 to be about the cheapest and great service. You will need to order the 5000 series.

STIFFY
+1 HIGH-TEK Moorabbin.... Price or TECHNICAL Service Advice....ask to speak to CAM Sonno!!!!!

Don't discount Harrop either!!!...Not as pricey as people think if you ask the right questions!!!

Damian Johnson...If he is still there!!!, Sales & Customer Support Manager - Performance Products

Harrop Engineering Australia

96 Bell St, Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, 3072, Australia

Ph +61.3.9474-0900

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 06-25-2012 at 04:24 AM..
Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

What's the purpose of a 2-piece ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-25-2012 at 06:29 AM..
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The aluminum hat section is a significant weight saving over a conventional rotor. Also if you machine your own hats it opens up a lot of possibilities for different offsets.

Also a lot of 2 piece rotors are also set up as floating. The rotor can move side to side a little independently of the hub. This means you don't feel so much brake shudder through the pedal as the rotors warp under extreme conditions. Its usually a race track only thing since the floating mounts are another wear point you really don't need on a road car plus they can be noisy.

Cheers

Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The other advantage I should also mention is that when it comes time to replace your rotors you only need change the disc section. You can re use the hat. This can be a cost saving as opposed to buying complete rotors (depending on manufacturers).

These are 343mm x32mm 2 piece rotors. They are probably lighter than the 330mm x28mm 1 piece rotors I had on it before.

Cheers

Old 06-25-2012, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Following on from what Mike says above, when you replace the rotor and keep the hat CHECK WITH THE MANUFACTURER, most recommend (require) that you use NEW bolts and nuts to retain the rotor to the hat, and they're usually specific hardware from the manufacturer. Something to do with the bolts stretching when torqued, kind of important not to overlook if you like your brakes to stay assembled at speed

The aluminium section is also better at dissipating heat than a single piece cast rotor.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAllen View Post
I don't know if this old chestnut has been discussed here or not. There were some engineers who would not accept Wilwoods because the calipers had no dust seals on the pistons. I raised this with the then RTA and was advised they had no issues with un-sealed pistons. Likewise my approving engineer was happy to approve them. That was some time ago when I bought them and they have been just sitting waiting to be fitted.

I again today read the NCOP for brakes and see that from Jan 2011 seals are required http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._01Jan2011.pdf (see 2.7.2)

Does anyone know the real state of play?
Peter, to get your answer (the correct one) ask your engineer. If seals are required in your instance then check with Wilwood. I remember seeing somewhere that they now have dust-seals as an option, maybe it's retro-fittable to your calipers?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

One of the main advantages is the two piece dissapates the heat much better an keeps the heat away from your wheel bearings..... The cast iron take the heat straight to the bearings
Old 06-25-2012, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi Chris,
Heres a pic of the DBA 2 piece 5000 series on mine, 330x32 discs on VZ Hub and Knuckle.

The calipers are AP Racing 6 pot CP5570's, a small profile 6 pot with same mounting as the popular CP5200 4 pots.

RaceBrakes (Melbourne),Competition Friction (Canberra), UPC (Melbourne) have off the shelf brackets to suit the VZ knuckles, however, these wern't suitable for me due to the design of the lower arm on the CR, the brackets hit during turn in when suspension is unloading.
Mine are custom made with 20deg rotation for clearance.

Also, i dont think i could fit the AP's over 343mm discs, like Mikes, his caliper profile may be slimmer again, or the rim section may be not so deep in the centre as the wheels i'm thinking about.
My clearance is about 6mm from top of caliper to rim (17").

regards

Dave

Last edited by DaveW; 06-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: crap typing
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
I have a pair of AP 4 spots with 330mm 1 piece rotors (thanks Mike) and have found them to be great, anything bigger may just be overkill I think.
My tyres lock up or go off waaaaaay before the brakes are ever going to!

I have the same set up and find that anymore would be superfluous for my purposes, at least without full ABR.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks fellas for all the info
Cheers Craig (Absolute Pace) for the heads up with what fits on the Vintage wheels, although I will most probably stick to the 330mm option. Im chasing some Brembo rotors and hats in the US, they are second hand floaters, but with a clean up will be plenty for what I can throw at em. They are 328 x 28 curved slotted units . It surprised me that I can land them here for a touch over 300 bucks it seems. At this stage Im leaning toward the AP 4 pots from race brakes in Sydney, but that is far from done and are still considering some Wilwoods.

Again, appreciate everyones input.

Cheers
Chris
Old 06-26-2012, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buy your Wilwoods from Craig....Absolute pace...I got six piston wilwoods for $800
Old 06-26-2012, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Personal Message in your box AC-460.
Cheers
Chris
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Job is done, 328x32 Brembo floaters with hats coming from Sth Carolina and some Wilwood 6 piston goods from Absolute Pace. Craig was great to deal with and very helpful and the price could not be beat.
Thanks to all who helped.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chris L; 06-27-2012 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: spelling