Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     
Default DRB rebuild blog

Further on from my previous posts I thought that today was as good a day as any to start a little blog recording the rebuild progress of my DRB.

A brief overall description of the tasks at hand (and not necessarily in the correct order) would be:

1. Exhaust modifications to allow for the lowering of the floor area below the seat to the same height as the foot well. I'm 197cm, nuf said

2. Dismantling of interior and new interior to be fitted (This includes the boot area) with custom heated seats in leather. .

3. New gauges and dash with audio system to be sourced and fitted.

4. Current motor to be removed and engine bay stripped.

5. New bonnet to be sourced.

6. Car to be painted inside and out.

7. Rebuilt engine to be fitted.

8. Improve suspension feel.

9. Re assemble.

I've not written a blog before but I thought that even if it doesn't interest anybody here, it could help me keep track of my progress. We'll just have to see how it goes!

So... Today I picked up the cobra from True Flow Exhausts in Sunbury. I asked them to change the under body exhaust system from the original twin config of Headers to the cats to a muffler under each seat then through the rear cross member and then out on either side of the drop tank.

So now it runs from the headers into two new stainless cats, then a flange, then both pipes flank the gearbox housing until they come together in a collection cone directly underneath the tail shaft. This single pipe then connects to a hot dog and then continues to travel underneath the tail shaft until it passes under the rear cross member. It then divides into two pipes, then another flange, a cylindrical muffler on either side of the drop tank and they finish with a little dumpy pipe just below the rear body line.

Ben only used mandrel bends and the system looks good. Unfortunately he had taken it off the hoist before I picked the car up so I didn't get any pics. I will take some soon.

Having arrived home I set to work removing the seats, interior trim and insulation where I will need to modify the floor.

So now I need to go out and buy a hoist! Truth be told I have been looking for an excuse to buy one for years, so this is it. It looks like I'll buy one from Radum in Melbourne. See link:
Radum Pty Ltd
Looks like a reasonable price and I would be able to use it for some of my ag machines here on the farm also and my shed is 12 x 24 x 5.8 so I can justify having a permanent setup.

Last edited by Toecutter; 07-01-2011 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: additional picture
Old 07-01-2011, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

This looks a great start. At 6' 6" in the old measures ... you could still have problems in that car. Has that been a problem to date?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No problems as such, but I knew from the outset that I would have to find a long bodied cobra (which this is) and modify the seat height in some way. If I take out the base of the seat and sit on the floor there is plently of leg room and my eye line is in the top third of the screen which is about right for me. It just isn't very comfortable .

I've spent the last 7 months of ownership taking advantage of the aussie dollar in the land of the free. Buying all sorts of goodies from everything I needed to complete the engine to all new tripod lights etc., Finally the time has come to start making it my own.
Although I must say that I have enjoyed getting to know the car in it's current state. It certainly has given me some time to research the world of cobra!
Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Love the blog, keep it going.
Is it a torana based DRB? If so may be able to give you some suspension tips if ur into racing it.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup, there's a fair bit of Torana in there. The car will be mostly setup for the road but I thought there might be some opportunities for a little casual track time, so I might just take you up on your offer. Thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Dont buy the tripod lights from America, they have L/H drive reflector in them.
Need to buy from UK.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boxhead, duely noted. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

I got mine here P700 TRIPOD HEAD LIGHTS LUCAS TYPE MINI JAGUARS TR s MG | eBay UK
very pleasant to deal with.

These also have a rounded lens face, so looks more old school than the newer flat ones.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip and link Boxhead, They should be winging their way to Aus soon.

Great to see so many helpful folk here.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can thank BeeJay for originally pointing them out to me.

Cruising in 5th

Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I only had a little time today so I decided to measure and mark the floor for cutting. After drilling a few holes to confirm the location of the main structural members (yes, I am a chippie, it shows doesn't it ) and jacking the car up onto ramps and stands I am confident that I have a good plan of attack.

Fortunately the site forman was on hand to give me some vacant looks of encouragement. Or maybe he was hungry? I'm not sure..

At least I was able to take some reasonable pics of the new central exhaust and give a better account of the current config. of the area that will be modified.

I hope to be able to put my new reciprocating saw to good use on Friday if this day job thing doesn't keep getting in the way.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Roadster
Not Ranked     

Just a quick note from America on the headlight situation. I have never seen better deals in the UK than America by the way. I have tri bar headlights on my Cobra that I purchased from Southern Hot Rods for $49.99US for the Pair!!. They had an extra bulb in the base that I didn't use and they are rounded also. Check out their web site. Buy American!!!
Regards,
Bill Bryan
Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Bill,
Don't worry mate, just about everything else I have bought for the cobra over the past seven months has been from America. That includes all of the engine except the block so I'm doing my best . And I would bet that I'm not the only one.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Hey Bill,

It's not the price or the quality....

We drive on the other side of the road ( Like the U.K. ), and the U.K. Headlights have lenses that direct the low beam towards the left side of the road ( i.e. the "Side" of the Road )...
.....U.S. have them shining down and to the right.....which would shine into oncoming traffic in Australia and the U.K.
I only realized this after I'd bought a set from the U.S., and had to send them back.

Cheers,
Warren.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Dont buy the tripod lights from America, they have L/H drive reflector in them.
Need to buy from UK.
Billie we drive on the "Queen's or was it King's" designated side of the road ! LOL
That's why we gotta get'em from the UK
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Just a point of interest...google Right hand drive countries and see how few there are !
Old 07-06-2011, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Sweeds' where going to change direction on their roads at one stage. I recall a Danish spokesperson suggesting that they should start phasing it in with trucks first... Legend !
Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

I have lived a fair portion of time in that part of the world dodging Volvos and Saabs. They would love to confuse each other like that. There is not much love lost between the Swedes and the Danes at times. Even suggestions that Danish is not a 'language', but a 'throat disease'... Now, we would never say that to our Kiwi brothers.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clearly you lived on the yellow and blue side of the water.... I on the other hand am from Danish parents and born in Australia. I lived there for a short time as a child but this is my home.
Bloody awful weather there too Much better for cobras here.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is better for Cobras here, but the size of the 'muscle car' following there and in Norway (where I was mostly) is amazing. A beautiful part of the world.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.