Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Guy

Hi All,

Not sure where my original post went so if it appears suddenly, sorry fro the duplication.

I've been dreaming of owning my own Cobra for many years and am getting closer to the big day.

First up I need advise as to what are the better replicas to look at. My budget will be between $45 - $55K and like most will be looking for a Cobra that has been looked after and ticks all the boxes on my wish list.

I've noticed some models where the driver appears to sit high in the cockpit which seems a bit odd to me so it's a model I'd like to avoid.

My wish list includes NSW rego, 5 speed manual, preferring a Ford engine, room in foot wells, a well loved car with receipts and history.

I realise I might be a bit picky but I'm not in a hurry and I figure since I've waited for so long a few more months wont hurt in my search.

Appreciate all the advice.

Cheers

Swany
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Hi,
What are all the boxes you need ticked?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum Swany.

You've mentioned leg/foot room as a consideration. How tall are you? If you're above 6'2" you might want to go down the path of a 4" stretched Harrison kit.

You can create extra foot/legroom in a standard 90" wheelbase car, it just takes time and money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q9ER View Post
Morning all,

I've been toying with owning my own beautiful cobra for years. Not skilled at building things but make up for it by my outstanding personality and good looks

My budget max is about 50 - 55K and of course like most I'd like a loved, well engineered NSW AC in the colour of my choice etc etc etc. I'm prepared to wait for the right Cobra and realise it could be a while.

So I could do with some friendly advice....

I've seen some cobras where the driver seems to sit very high in the cockpit which reminds of a dodgem car. Is this look characteristic of certain models as I want to avoid the look.

Can you guide me as to what models to steer clear off due to chassis and handling set up and which are not quite right in replica looks etc.

Which models offer the best best comfort in the sense of leg room. i.e. being able to wear boots whilst driving.

Guys I know these are subjective questions and I have a bit of homework to do however I'll take whatever advice is offered

Cheers

Swany
Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndave View Post
Hi,
What are all the boxes you need ticked?
Mmmmmm......... I'll have a shot..
  • Lighten the wallet by 45 - 55k
  • Plenty of paper in the boot from a cash register
  • No dodgem cars
  • Only the best engine available - Ford
  • 5 gears in a box with a stiring stick
  • Plenty of leg room for streching on long trips
  • Able to leave on boots on the way home from concreting jobs
  • Rego in the land of cockroaches
  • A very old one ensuring its been covered in school history curriculum
  • A very elusve one ensuring he waits a while longer

Welcome Swany
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Amazing, my missing posts written over a week ago, suddenly appear??

As I said I realise I may have to wait and that my budget my have to extend to bring the car up to my dream machine specs. I'm preferring to buy a second hand NSW rego'd car and tweak it as I get the impression that building in NSW can be a long ADR pain in the butt process.

To Craig, I'm only 5'10" in the old money. I sat in an AC and had to take off my desert style boots as the passenger foot well was tight. Not sure of the model.

To Slipry, the wish list sounds like a wish list doesn't it I have a project on at the moment which when completed will allow me the reward of my AC. Still some months from completion.

GUy thanx so far and for the warm welcome.

Swany
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Good luck in your search Swanny, there are a few cars in NSW that pop up for sale, at your price you should ge a loved but used car that suits your needs.

Get to a club gathering if you can, with any luck there may be some cars you can try on for size.

If not and your still searching, try to get to Winton in Victoria for ShelbyFest.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum Swany.

For your budget you would probably be looking at an older DRB or maybe gforce - Autos tend to be less desirable an hence less expensive, but if you find the right car you could do a manual conversion. A quick check on car sales in NSW shows only 2 cars in your budget, and both are autos. DRB 302 Auto and another 302 auto (unsure of make) with some real ride height issues (I think he has gome for the different ride height on all 4 wheels look). The drb has the least accurate body shape and is relatively low across the doors, so you can get the "gorilla on a go kart look". But - get thin seats and bolt straight to the floor and you can be sitting in rather than on the car.

Im about your height and do not have the seat right back in a classic revival. They have one of the roomiest cabins and widest footboxes in standard form. They dont do a stretched model, as they dont really need to. But I dont think you would get one registered for your money.

If your not in a hurry the right car should come up.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 12-14-2012, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Swany,
When do you think you may start looking. I might be on the market and think mine is in your wish list category. PM if you want more info.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndave View Post
Swany,
When do you think you may start looking. I might be on the market and think mine is in your wish list category. PM if you want more info.
Appreciate letting me know however I'm going have my finances tied up until I finish the project mentioned. I've basically started collecting info on different shapes,engines etc for now.

It's my plan to be seriously looking in about 6 months but my ducks need to be lined up then.

Regards

Swany
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

There's lots of options and modification is another option. Take your time and you will get something close to what you want.....What is your 'other' project ?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
There's lots of options and modification is another option. Take your time and you will get something close to what you want.....What is your 'other' project ?
Hi Rob,
I see you're in Warners Bay. I've just moved to the Maitland area from down your way and will be moving to Sydney in the new year.

The other project is bricks and mortar.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q9ER View Post
Hi Rob,
I see you're in Warners Bay. I've just moved to the Maitland area from down your way and will be moving to Sydney in the new year.

The other project is bricks and mortar.
It's a shame your moving away from this area...never mind there are lots of Cobrafiles in the Sydney area....Good luck with ALL of your projects.