Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Steering column and foot box photos

Hi all
I have a usa kit and i am in the united kingdom. I am in the process of converting this to R/h drive. please could someone post some pictures from inside the engine bay, with how the steering column comes out of the foot box, and the route of the steering column. I have a 351c and a 427 hitech which a is pretty close copy.

many thanks

adrian
Old 12-24-2012, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Trying not to sound like I'm being smart here, but a symmetrical body will have the steering column routed as an exact mirror image of a LHD car.

Not sure about the Hi Tech cars, but many of the early manufacturers didnt have symmetrical footboxes and offset the engine for greater foot room for the left-side driver. This makes it quite a bit of work to not only re-engineer the pedals and steering location, but also to look at whether the engine/trans need to move left to accommodate three pedals on the right hand side.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Adrian, the steering shaft goes through the gas pedal quadrant that wraps around the corner of the footbox. Your steering shaft is going to go through the steering box above your clutch. You see the hole in it at the front for the shaft and on the side to hold the collar clamp for the steering tube. Steering Tube Collar Clamp [427 Street CSX CCX KMP HT ACE] - $64.00 : Acton Custom Enterprises, Custom Metal for Cobras

I think you would almost make the same thing for yours where the steering goes through and make a longer sleeve to move your accelerator pedal to the other side.

Last edited by mickmate; 12-24-2012 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: Thought of how he could do it.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You could build that pedal/steering shaft assembly. I built one for my Hurricane. Not too hard to do but as with everything, there's a little tweeking here and there.
Larry
Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nick surely the steering column would not go through the pedal assembly on a r/h drive car ? as the pedal would be on the lh side of the tunnel.

The foot boxes are different,in widths etc i have done some research, as the column would be too close to the engine , and will not fit. It looks like i have to offset the engine towards the passenger side in my r/h version as there is little room for the steering column to fit. What a pain but it needs to be right, which is going to slow progress down

merry christmas to you all
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You just need to learn to use the gas with your left foot and the clutch with your right! See, problem solved!
Larry
Old 12-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Craigs got it right. Basically a mirror image for the steering. I had a quick play with a pedal pic and made it a right hook. This is all the same parts with a longer tube/shaft for the go pedal to put it on the right.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kenmer with Ford Quad Cam Boss 260
Not Ranked     

"You just need to learn to use the gas with your left foot and the clutch with your right! See, problem solved!"

LMH - why would you want to drive with your legs crossed?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Crossed legs may help on those long runs,
No need to stop for the potty!
I sent you an email with the answers to your email questions but check out our frames it will show you the foot box location your looking for.
Here is the build thread
New Build
Cheers

Last edited by cobrakiwi; 12-26-2012 at 09:05 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Not sure if these will help.
Pedals in situ in car, the colomn passes through hole on left.

Pedal bracket is welded to the back of dash support, and also bolts to underside of pedal box.

Pedal assy out of car.

As you can see, my colomn ends inside the end of foot box, with just enough space for uni joint to join steering shaft.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

When you dropped the rack down 25 mm, did you have to make another steering rod?
Also, Can you give me a close up of the adjustment of the twin pushrods. I found them to be really close together to the pedal itself. Are the lock nuts on the outside?
Thanks.
JD
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Adrian, the majority of Assie kits have taller foot boxes than the originals and most U.S kits, Square flat top not sloping. This is why in Mikes pic the steering column hole is not at the top of the box.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

I dont know if this helps, but this is what my chassis looked like pre-delivery:

Crendon Replicas : Gallery Page 3

Hover your cursor over the [+] to see larger pictures.

The footboxes on the crendon are slightly taller than the original. The steering shaft passes straight down from the steering wheel down to the steering rack, with the headers passing over/under it.