Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for a cheap MIG welder

Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advise please.
Looking for a cheap gasless MIG, just to do the odd handy man job around the house and maybe some garden art.
I've seen a few down at the local Cash converters for around $200 that look all right.
The ones on eBay are cheaper, but look a bit small and toyish.
What should I be looking for? and what should I be staying away from?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IMO you should stay away from all gasless MIG welders. They just aren't very good...

Either get good with an arc welder (dying art these days,) or buy a secondhand good size MIG. You can get good MIG's secondhand from between $400-$1000 depending on what you're looking at, the only thing then is gas hire. Sometimes you can even get them with an argoshield cylinder included - I paid $800 for mine from a closing down machine shop with a full one.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Jason, I would up the budget a little more and get one that does gas and gasless, better to be prepared for the future. I bought a CIG 160 - the biggest one that will run on a 10amp power point. If I was doing it again I would by the same machine. Lincoln is just as good if not better. I think I paid about $500 a couple years ago. I haven't run it yet on gasless wire. It will do aluminium too, but for that I would have to get a pure argon bottle.

Also I have a $140 CIG Arc welder, the problem there is the operator, but its good for a quick outside job where the wind will render the gas setup less effective.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi tech 427 SC
Not Ranked     

I had an expensive solor that I was never happy with and just went through this. The Eastwood welders are the best welder for the money. I did the weld in frame connectors on my mustang and it did GREAT and was only $300. I already had the bottle. unless you want to step up to a miller which I couldn't justify the Eastwood looks just like the Lincoln for half the money and has infinite heat settings.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I bought one similar to this one for $99 about 6-7 years ago.

170 Amp MIG/Flux Wire Welder - 22 volts @ 110 amps

Mine is gas capable, but I don't use the gas. It only has power 4 settings. I'v been able to use it for just about everything around my house/garage. Without gas you do tend to get more splatter, and needs more clean up. But it's simple, inexpensive, and easy to use.

Update: A few minutes ago I got another sale ad from HF. This welder is on sale for $159.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto

Last edited by bobcowan; 03-02-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i have a nice hobart i'm getting ready to sell, but the shipping would be a killer.

bob, you ever go to gas you'll think you are a pro.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Make sure you get an inverter. They have heaps more power. I have a $300 ebay chinese tig and it works really well. I have welded all the stainless and mild steel on my cobra with it. Only problem was the gas fittings were plastic. I swapped them for brass and it has been perfect ever since.

I would just buy one of the many on ebay.
RITEWELD NEW MIG 195 AMP GAS / GASLESS WELDER 15 AMP PLUG | eBay
Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I reckon you will be disappointed with a gas less mig. The weld spatter goes everywhere and the weld itself looks crap. That being said the gas less wire welds galvanized steel great.
The newer inverter style MIG welders are really light which would be a bonus if you want to take the welder to the job rather than it staying in the workshop.

I have a WIA 150 for the workshop and it is great.

Once you do get one, remember that you reverse the polarity when changing over between gas welding and gas less.

Last edited by Gav; 03-02-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

I had a cigweld gas/gasless which died after 10 years. it was great.

just bought the ozito from bunnings, gas/gasless for around $200. works great.

cant recommend gasless wire. Its a waste of time. if you are only using a little bit of gas, buy the regulator and a bottle of co2 in bunnings. $30 a bottle gets about 1m of welding. no hire. expensive per litre, but if its only a few times a year then it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPTYL View Post
Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advise please.
Looking for a cheap gasless MIG, just to do the odd handy man job around the house and maybe some garden art.
I've seen a few down at the local Cash converters for around $200 that look all right.
The ones on eBay are cheaper, but look a bit small and toyish.
What should I be looking for? and what should I be staying away from?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

they have c02 bottles in bunnings? I've never seen it, maybe can save some bottle hire, thanks for the tip!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wouldnt bother with those little bottles. You will end up spending more than just signing up with BOC/supagas for a gas account. You cant use them when there is wind. Not sure what bottle hire is for a D size, but it is only around $10 per month. But if you are going to use gas, forget the mig and buy a DC tig and arc in one for around $300. Tig welding is great, just like soldering.

If you are not using it very often go gas less. Or if you are not welding thin stuff get a stick welder (3mm+). I actually find i can get better results (stack of dimes) with a stick than a mig. Only problem with stick is that it is very hard to do vertical or upside down.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
they have c02 bottles in bunnings? I've never seen it, maybe can save some bottle hire, thanks for the tip!
They can stock co2, argon, and co2/argon mix.i find the co2 last longer. It can be out of stock just try a few stores
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I'm at work right now and don't have the name or address. but there's a gas supplier in Oz that will sell you a cylinder full of gas,then all you have to do is get it refilled from them....no rent on the bottle.....beats the BOC burglars.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I had a cheapish SIP mig that used the disposable bottles. Never really used it on gasless as I tried it once and it was pretty messy. Everyone says to not use the disposable gas bottle but my experience is they were way cheaper than keeping a tank for the amount of welding I did. I reckon I welded up most of my headers and pipes using the one bottle.

When that welder got pinched I bought a unimig kmm180 - similar specs to the SIP but better built, better specs and very cheap, 2 year warrantee. Around $400 from gasweld. Comes with a reg for full size bottles and a euro connect torch. Ive welded both gas (dispoable bottles) and gasless with this one. The gasless actually works OK - and is fine for jobs that dont have to be too pretty. A lot of people say you wont get a decent weld out of a cheap welder, but my experience is that you can. I must be a bloody genius.

Gasweld is also the cheapest place to buy the disposable bottle (<$25ish).

Never try the disposables on tig - it works but as it is a much slower process than mig it isnt worth it - you need the big bottles

Last edited by Tenrocca; 03-04-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Despite AGRmachinery's good looking feedback, google "AGRmachinery review" and read through a few pages....

Unfortunately as ebay feedback is usually left soon after goods arrived, they often dont reflect the longevity of the product and after sales service.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm paying about $17 a month for a bottle which I use perhaps 4 or 5 times a year, thanks for the tip I will check out the disposable bottles.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Despite AGRmachinery's good looking feedback, google "AGRmachinery review" and read through a few pages....

Unfortunately as ebay feedback is usually left soon after goods arrived, they often dont reflect the longevity of the product and after sales service.
Agreed about the feedback, you can no longer leave feedback after about 3 months.

I should clarify I am not endorsing this product in anyway and do not own that one. I meant that as an example of what's out there. The tig I have is no longer on eBay, but it has served me very well for about 2 years. I made my windscreen frame, fuel tank, engine mounts, plus a whole stack of brackets and subframes and its been great.

As you point out you should always research the particular model before buying.