Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Question Defect notice for cars on trailers ??

Read this on another forum (Mustang) that road registered cars on trailers leaving a race venue were getting a defect notice from the EPA to get tested or the like -- anybody had experience with this?? maybe food for thought.

Enclosed trailers, secretly entering and departing venues, screening of patrons to the venue etc comes to mind
May have to move to WA before they succeed from these Eastern states BS
Old 03-12-2013, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Surely a valid argument would be that you swap parts out for rscing only, and hence this is why you trailer it to and from events.
Because you would not drive a modified vehicle on public roads?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

There are a couple of hypotheticals that are doing the rounds, but I haven't ever seen how they could be applied based on the legislation...

Box - to your point, the counter argument is that a registered vehicle that was modified for a racing event would need to be reinspected/certified/approved before being allowed back on the street. Having number plates and a rego sticker on the car in race trim brings in the dangerous concept of intent. Can you be penalised for a perceived intent to drive a race-spec vehicle on the road simply because the number plates were still attached during the race meeting? I would suggest that it's as strange an idea as arresting a motorcyclist for walking towards the entrance to a bank as he is removing his helmet. Was there intent to rob the bank, or was the reality that he was just taking his helmet off...

The intent is what I have heard people talking about for cars on trailers. I haven't seen the forum discussion that you're talking about Chris, but the thought is that you can fall under hoon laws for having a road car (in race trim) on a trailer with rego/plates. The perceived issue is that "Intent to cause excessive noise" has been flagged as a hoon offense. I haven't seen that in writing, but the requirement to start your car and drive it off the trailer after arriving home is proof of intent to cause excessive noise.

It all seems a bit fanciful and hysterical to be true, but that's what I'm hearing.

I really wish there would be a nationwide, focussed crackdown on mobile phone usage in cars. Seems like it would do a lot more to improve driving standards and reduce road trauma than a knee-jerk legislative reaction to over hyped media beatups about hoons on A Current Affair.

Last edited by 750hp; 03-12-2013 at 06:30 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Man, and I thought California was bad!!!!!
07cob likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Gents,

The legislation states that any 'registerable' vehicle can be ticketed. So in theory, they could ping you whilst bringing your chassis home from the manufacturer!

The exact wording is very poor and we brought this to the Minister's attention at a recent conference in Eastern Creek.

The response was to take down all of the details of the officer issuing the fine and file a complaint with both his local department and to the Minister for Roads' office.

Treeve
Rog246 likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

I think also the public places act would also apply. It is a registered vehicle in a public place, whether it is on a trailer or parked. If it obviously has parts that aren't comliant then it is in breach of the registration conditions/requirements.
How they could defect it for suspected noise without hearing it does'n't sit right with me. They must have been amongst the spectators taking notes.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     

Way over regulation-------

How much new law is there every year? - YouTube
Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Just take the plates off
OZCOBRA likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndave View Post
Just take the plates off
+1.

Plus remove the rego label and cover the VIN number if visible from behind the windscreen.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

"Government intelligence" and "jumbo shrimp" are two of my favorite oxymorons.
"Pretty ugly" is in there, too.

New 3" pipes go on tomorrow!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

Max Balchowski raced with Idaho license plate on Ole Yeller ll against expensive European cars. He had Sears white wall tires and Buick V8 and usually won.

It would make a great movie.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndave View Post
Just take the plates off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
+1.

Plus remove the rego label and cover the VIN number if visible from behind the windscreen.
While this is feasibly an option why the hell should anyone have to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
There are a couple of hypotheticals that are doing the rounds, but I haven't ever seen how they could be applied based on the legislation...

Box - to your point, the counter argument is that a registered vehicle that was modified for a racing event would need to be reinspected/certified/approved before being allowed back on the street. Having number plates and a rego sticker on the car in race trim brings in the dangerous concept of intent. Can you be penalised for a perceived intent to drive a race-spec vehicle on the road simply because the number plates were still attached during the race meeting? I would suggest that it's as strange an idea as arresting a motorcyclist for walking towards the entrance to a bank as he is removing his helmet. Was there intent to rob the bank, or was the reality that he was just taking his helmet off...

The intent is what I have heard people talking about for cars on trailers. I haven't seen the forum discussion that you're talking about Chris, but the thought is that you can fall under hoon laws for having a road car (in race trim) on a trailer with rego/plates. The perceived issue is that "Intent to cause excessive noise" has been flagged as a hoon offense. I haven't seen that in writing, but the requirement to start your car and drive it off the trailer after arriving home is proof of intent to cause excessive noise.

It all seems a bit fanciful and hysterical to be true, but that's what I'm hearing.

I really wish there would be a nationwide, focussed crackdown on mobile phone usage in cars. Seems like it would do a lot more to improve driving standards and reduce road trauma than a knee-jerk legislative reaction to over hyped media beatups about hoons on A Current Affair.
The issue is over regulation of something that is in effect a victimless crime.
Who has been harmed or is being harmed by this act of towing the car on a trailer.

I agree smack'em with a just punishment if they are hooning up and down suburban roads, causing a nuisance, or the like, but being hit for "INTENT" as Craig has outlined is just plain wrong!

Guilty before the performing any act of crime - Minority report anyone!
I'm starting to sound like Alex Jones
Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
+1.

No more rego labels in NSW
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs flatchat View Post
Read this on another forum (Mustang) that road registered cars on trailers leaving a race venue were getting a defect notice from the EPA to get tested or the like
This forum?

Cars being defected on trailers ???
Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1995 Snake Pit DRB "Coca Cola" , 5.0 LT HO , T5
Not Ranked     

This post may be related to what happened on the weekend here in Sydney. A car festival had just finished and people were leaving to go home when they were greeted by this display from the NSW Police, this pic was taken and posted on a few sites with the following description....

"Despite numerous shootings, burglaries and acts of violence around Sydney today, the NSW Police Force found it far more appropriate to allocate this many cars and officers to a massive defect station coming out of the top gear festival. I mean the modified car community is such a threat to society.... And then they wonder why people lose respect for them..... Beyond belief........."

[IMG][/IMG]
justcobra likes this.

Last edited by CMY-427; 03-13-2013 at 12:08 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Reminds me of an old tune by NWA......
Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMY-427 View Post
This post may be related to what happened on the weekend here in Sydney. A car festival had just finished and people were leaving to go home when they were greeted by this display from the NSW Police, this pic was taken and posted on a few sites with the following description....

"Despite numerous shootings, burglaries and acts of violence around Sydney today, the NSW Police Force found it far more appropriate to allocate this many cars and officers to a massive defect station coming out of the top gear festival. I mean the modified car community is such a threat to society.... And then they wonder why people lose respect for them..... Beyond belief........."

[IMG][/IMG]

As someone who was in attendance both days of the weekend, I have to disagree.

The NSW Cobra Club had a display of members Cobras at the Top gear Festival on both the Saturday and Sunday. We were there both days from 6am to 6.30pm. The large contingent of Highway Patrol and General Duties Police were there for the purpose of ensuring that the tens of thousands of people who attended this event, left in an orderly and safe manner.

At no time were any of the Cobra fraternity subjected to any Police inspections, not did I observe any proactive operations as depicted in the photo supplied.

In my opinion, the photo shows available Police Vehicles parked at a marshalling point for a briefing prior to the closure of the event.

There was NO Police harassment of car enthusiasts. On the contrary, we found that the Police were really interested in the Cobra display and were generally impressed by the vehicles.

Baz.
Modena likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
As someone who was in attendance both days of the weekend, I have to disagree.

The NSW Cobra Club had a display of members Cobras at the Top gear Festival on both the Saturday and Sunday. We were there both days from 6am to 6.30pm. The large contingent of Highway Patrol and General Duties Police were there for the purpose of ensuring that the tens of thousands of people who attended this event, left in an orderly and safe manner.

At no time were any of the Cobra fraternity subjected to any Police inspections, not did I observe any proactive operations as depicted in the photo supplied.

In my opinion, the photo shows available Police Vehicles parked at a marshalling point for a briefing prior to the closure of the event.

There was NO Police harassment of car enthusiasts. On the contrary, we found that the Police were really interested in the Cobra display and were generally impressed by the vehicles.

Baz.
Which is generally what happens.... Medial release a photo along with a brief story about Police and hoons and before you know it there is some scrawny little pill popping kid kid 'claiming' he did nothing to deserve his 'rough up' by the local constabulary.....
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anyways, back to the thread.

It's ridiculous! There is no way that they could book you for towing a car on a trailer. Imagine at the scene of every accident the copper is waiting for the tow truck driver to load up the crashed car so he can book the towie for intent to tow a defective vehicle... Think about it....
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmaster View Post
...and before you know it there is some scrawny little pill popping kid kid 'claiming' he did nothing to deserve his 'rough up' by the local constabulary.....
Hard to tell from the other photos in his public collection...

Misc Photos by ricks_1969 | Photobucket