Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-23-2013, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     
Default Compliant exhaust system design

Hi all,

I'm heading out to pick and Payless tomorrow and was thinking I might grab some mufflers whilst there.

For nsw people that have passed the drive by noise test, what exhaust setup do you have? One of the benefits of my chassis is that it has holes for exhaust to pass through. Do you think I can pass with dual exhaust?

I was thinking dual 2.26" with cats and 2 oval style oem mufflers on each pipe.

Too loud? I want to do it properly and keep it compliant, not just rip it off after rego.

Appreciate opinions
Old 03-23-2013, 02:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not sure if rules have changed but use factory cats if u want to pass emissions
They work better than aftermarket ones

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 03-23-2013, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

I just stuck with an LSx system from a VE. The cats were physically too big for the 240Z transmission tunnel and my engineer said I could install smaller units provided they weren't the size of mobile phones. They are huge rear mufflers but I figure I will always comply with rego and I can simply swap them for any direct bolt-on VE after-market ones.

You might want to look on eBay. There are plenty on near new system usually on offer from owners who have gone for after-market systems.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a full system from an hsv. I only plan on using the cats as nothing else will fit. The muffler is way too big to fit under my car and I want to go dual the whole way through so that I can have better ground clearance.

Was thinking of making custom headers, into HSV cats then through 2.25 into a centre muffler and then another muffler at the back. Same on each side. Just a bit concerned it will be too loud dual the whole way.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

Just had a custom muffler made for my ute to knock DBs out of it.

Talk to the guys at Windsor Exhaust if you cant find something that fits. Really good prices as well.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Still needing to come up with a quiet exhaust design. I have all the bends and flange plates for 1-7/8 headers. These will go into a 4 into 1 3" collector, then onto the ve cats. From there I'm not sure what will be quiet enough. I'm starting on the header fab this week.

Barry, Ben, Andrew etc? What did you guys use to be quiet enough for noise test?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Still needing to come up with a quiet exhaust design. I have all the bends and flange plates for 1-7/8 headers. These will go into a 4 into 1 3" collector, then onto the ve cats. From there I'm not sure what will be quiet enough. I'm starting on the header fab this week.

Barry, Ben, Andrew etc? What did you guys use to be quiet enough for noise test?
I used two cats running into a single muffler supplied and fitted by Kirrawee Exhaust Systems. Cost me $750 for the set-up, but quite as a lamb and went through the noise test first up with no worries.

Good Luck.

Baz
Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Baz,

Thanks for the response. Do you know what size pipe was used and what muffler design it is (eg triflow, straight through, chamber etc).

Had a look at you pics and it looks pretty neat.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Hi Baz,

Thanks for the response. Do you know what size pipe was used and what muffler design it is (eg triflow, straight through, chamber etc).

Had a look at you pics and it looks pretty neat.
Hi Liam,

2" right through. Muffler is chambered. Give Peter a ring at Kirrawee Mufflers on 9542-4111 and he will give you all the good oil. I have sent you a PM.

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 05-20-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

I had to go with windsor shorty headers which run 4 into 1 with a 2" flanged outlet, then into a 2" bend and aftermarket cats. The factory Ford cats were way to big. Then ran into HQ factory mufflers through to tail pipes in a twin system. This was way to loud so had to add 2 more HQ mufflers beside the fuel tank just before the tailpipes.
So with 2 cats and 4 mufflers I was still 1dba over the limit but the engineer let it pass.
We did a pass by with a brand new BF GT and the GT was louder.
Now it is too quiet even after the middle two mufflers fell off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: