Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Can Bus Wiring in a Cobra???

Just wondering if anyone has created or used a Can Bus styled wiring system in their Cobras? or am I over complicating it a little?
M@
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

There was a company a while back that made a neat modular can bus style wiring system. I was tempted to buy one. It used a controller module and severla sub mudules and I think all the switching was mosfet.

Here's a link. ISIS Product Listing - 2-Cell Starter Kit, 3-Cell Starter Kit, RF Control Module, Diagnostic Module, Fuse Kit, Control Unit interesting stuff.

Cheers

Old 04-16-2013, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraM@ View Post
Just wondering if anyone has created or used a Can Bus styled wiring system in their Cobras? or am I over complicating it a little?
M@
Hi,

I used a Ford Falcon loom and modules in my Cobra. Using a can bus system is a headache.

If I was you, I'd consider the number of non engine related items you are running. Can bus helps when running multiple systems (heaters, clusters, dash elements, engine, trans, abs etc). Given most cobra engines are LS, which are a PCM and a engine (just need power, simplified) you need a column, maybe a heater switch. The reason I stuck with the CAN BUS is I wanted the ABS. Otherwise I would have ditched it.

Also consider, other than very modern, custom digital dash elements (in my view not in keeping with the car) can't handle can bus inputs.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Talking

I'm going to use the ISIS system, and I know Bob Wodnas used one on his Cobra with success.
I just liked the idea of can bus, to me it gives me options, and I want to run ABS & Cruise too, so it kinda made sense.
I will point out that ISIS is not cheap, but then again apparently neither am I.
My wife WILL say whilst I'm not cheap, I make up for in other ways, like being a miserable bast@ard............apparently

Harrison #100
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

One of the Vic guys used the ISIS on his Harrison. Search for username Pecal.

Cheers

Gregg
Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys - have been checking out the ISIS system and will work out if I can / should incorporate this into the design of my build
M@
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Isis and abs and cruise will not go together
Isis is a sort of canbus but only works with itself

If u want to run abs and cruise use all the same setup from the same car
U will also need to run the matching engine ecu and engine

If u just want to run a motor with no other gadgets then u don't need canbus
If u want to hook up abs which is by all means not straight forward job and u want cruise
U will need to hook it exactly light it was from factory

Isis is not a canbus system like in the commodores or fords
Its a canbus from. A main control unit which accepts all the inputs
And sends signals to the power modules which turns things on and off
They can do a heap of things if u want
In a cobra I think u just don't have enough things to turn on and off to justify an Isis system but if u want so spend abit more for a slightly more tidy fusebox then use Isis
Isis system basically gets rid of chunky fuse boxes and relays and have solid state relays on board the power units
What the Isis does is great I just wish the has had designed it
As any type of wiring that comes fm the USA is shocking
If the japs designed it the way the wires come off the Isis unit would look much better
So the only fault I can find with Isis is the looks and way wires can be seen from the front

Now if u are running just a basic cobra u can easily get small fuse boxes these days
And if u want to hide things even more fit your fusebox in the boot

Another thing these days which is cheaper than Isis is racepak smart wire
Similar principle with solid state programable outputs and inputs and much nicer
Than Isis but this is one unit and wires from it have to go from it to front and back and engine
Where Isis has the power units which sit one at front and one at rear
The Isis unit cannot be programmed easily by yrself u need to get them to do it
Before u buy it
The racepak one u program yrself

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au