Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     
Default Hi all, new member, what a great site.

Hi all, have been looking at your site for a while, and also went to shelbyfest at winton,what a great site.
I have just purchased my first cobra, a python s with 302 v8 and 4 speed.
it was great to chat to a lot of the memebers at winton, a wealth of knowledge and also happy to answer any questions i had. Thanks once again
David.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     

Congratulations, it's a very nice looking car. I inquired about this car maybe a year and half ago when I was shopping but realised I would run into a few issues getting it compliant for NSW. Enjoy!!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yeah, he had a fairly large price on it back then, i must admit my concern was how loud it was and the carby for vic rwc,
but 2 testers have looked at it and passed it. will go for club rego when it runs out in december.

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 04-28-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 registered Brushed Kirkham polished stripes, 427 FE kieth craft 482 efi.ss chassis and all the go gear .
Not Ranked     
Default Just curios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs.buckley View Post
yeah, he had a fairly large price on it back then, i must admit my concern was how loud it was and the carby for vic rwc,
but 2 testers have looked at it and passed it. will go for club rego when it runs out in december.
Howdy,
Just curious, if it registered legit now why club rego?

Congrats on the car.

Soul.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Congratulations!

Regards.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Python

Welcome David. Is that you in the blue shirt with rolled up sleeves?

If so, the look in your eye is saying......"WOW ooh I want it!"

The fella behind the bonnet assuming he's the salesman is seeing this look...and is thinking....

"If I start it I think he's gonna mount me!"

Congrats...we've all been there in various forms... Hope to see you and it at the Nats 2013...

Spookypt
Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman View Post
Howdy,
Just curious, if it registered legit now why club rego?

Congrats on the car.

Soul.
only $120 for 90 days rego, only a log book now, doesnt have to be a club run or maintenace run, also insurance is heaps cheaper on club rego too.

i like the full rego, but i am just wondering if its the same as my ute which is cheaper in vic because it only has 2 seats? about $495 against about $600 for a car in rural areas in vic.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Welcome David. Is that you in the blue shirt with rolled up sleeves?

If so, the look in your eye is saying......"WOW ooh I want it!"

The fella behind the bonnet assuming he's the salesman is seeing this look...and is thinking....

"If I start it I think he's gonna mount me!"

Congrats...we've all been there in various forms... Hope to see you and it at the Nats 2013...

Spookypt
Yes that is me, and yes i did want it! it was on consigment @ a dealers and he got a rude shock when the owner had already agreed to a cheaper price before i drove 350klm to look at it.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congratulations on the new arrival David. A lot of guys thrive on the build, and then there are others who get as much of a buzz out of whisking a car right off the showroom floor and having the pleasure of being able to drive it straight away.

You'll have a wonderful time with it I'm sure but I wonder if I might make a suggestion at this early stage? It probably hasn't caused a problem thus far (and it may not ever) but I would advise ditching that oil-filled air filter ASAP. They look the part and they sit nice and low with their stepped base giving plenty of under bonnet clearance, but they have a nasty history of going up in flames if the carby decides to have a hiccup. A fiery blowback from the carby into all that lovely oil soaked foam is not what you need!

I had one of those filters on my car initially but after hearing some horror stories about them--and seeing some horror pics-- I quickly changed to a conventional one. I ran into clearance problems trying to fit a 12 or 13 inch version but a little 10 X 1.5" filter now sits in there and while it looks a bit puny, my old big block Chevy seems to be breathing OK. Your motor seems to be sitting a little lower than mine so you may not have any trouble with a larger filter anyway. Have fun!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I was going to suggest the same thing with the air filter. Had a similar experience with a backfire toasting the foam filter.

There are plenty of cotton mesh ones out there that are a lot safer and flow better. I've got one with a filtered top on it so it'll flow more than enough for the engine demands.

Congratulations on the new car.

Cheers

Old 04-29-2013, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
Congratulations on the new arrival David. A lot of guys thrive on the build, and then there are others who get as much of a buzz out of whisking a car right off the showroom floor and having the pleasure of being able to drive it straight away.

You'll have a wonderful time with it I'm sure but I wonder if I might make a suggestion at this early stage? It probably hasn't caused a problem thus far (and it may not ever) but I would advise ditching that oil-filled air filter ASAP. They look the part and they sit nice and low with their stepped base giving plenty of under bonnet clearance, but they have a nasty history of going up in flames if the carby decides to have a hiccup. A fiery blowback from the carby into all that lovely oil soaked foam is not what you need!

I had one of those filters on my car initially but after hearing some horror stories about them--and seeing some horror pics-- I quickly changed to a conventional one. I ran into clearance problems trying to fit a 12 or 13 inch version but a little 10 X 1.5" filter now sits in there and while it looks a bit puny, my old big block Chevy seems to be breathing OK. Your motor seems to be sitting a little lower than mine so you may not have any trouble with a larger filter anyway. Have fun!
thank for the advise donunder & mike, not sure if it makes any difference but apparently its not oil filled, its a ram flow with a dry foam element, and apparently fire resistant, maybe?
its a little close the scoop area but i think you could fit a bigger one possibly.
I think the carby is a 670 holley low rider.

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 04-29-2013 at 01:45 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For those that want to see chassis details, this was one of the first if not the first round tube python cobra made.at this stage it still had the fuel injected motor.

Mando and Cobra01 like this.

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 04-29-2013 at 01:29 AM..
Old 04-30-2013, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     

Hi David;
Welcome to the madness. I also have a round tube Python and it was supposedly the second one George built, after his first which was the second of his race cars. I remember picking the rolling kit up and measuring some things off the new race car I wanted to make myself to put in. The round tube Race Car was still being constructed at the time, so this made it easy to get a few ideas.......and George was good enough to let me go over it.
Those chassis pics you put up certainly look very familiar, although there have been numerous modifications to my example at both ends, it does take me back over 10 years now.
I think one of the biggest visible difference to other kits is how far back the engine sits in the bay for better weight distribution.

Enjoy.
Chris L
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
Hi David;
Welcome to the madness. I also have a round tube Python and it was supposedly the second one George built, after his first which was the second of his race cars. I remember picking the rolling kit up and measuring some things off the new race car I wanted to make myself to put in. The round tube Race Car was still being constructed at the time, so this made it easy to get a few ideas.......and George was good enough to let me go over it.
Those chassis pics you put up certainly look very familiar, although there have been numerous modifications to my example at both ends, it does take me back over 10 years now.
I think one of the biggest visible difference to other kits is how far back the engine sits in the bay for better weight distribution.

Enjoy.
Chris L
Hi chris, yes i must admit the engine is almost in the cockpit with you, no need for a heater in the python, but being under 6 foot is almost a necessity! this was one of the reasons i went for the python, aswell as the suspension setup. not sure about which chassis was first but mine ends with 001, so i thought it maybe no. one, could be wrong though. Just wondering if you where at shelbyfest @ winton? and if you where, your car, if its the silver python was one of the final reasons i decided on a python.

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 04-30-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Those RamFlo filters have a nickname "Rockstoppers" because anything smaller than a rock, gets through them.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     

Yes David, we were there, silver with the black stripes. We probably ended up talking but I met that many people and have a memory that is getting worse for names and faces.
At a guess with the chassis, mine would probably be the one after yours, I should check the stampings but Im miles away from the car at present. When I think about it, Georges race car would probably have a different set of numbers compared to his production chassis.
Some things I have changed with mine are the shocks, the original Aldans packed up, have QA1s now. Front & rear sway bars, inboard Jags discs removed and have outboard brakes now and had some nice (expensive) rod end joints put through the whole front end, the rubber flogged out very quickly. The car was very unstable at speed due to the front end bush's and also the rear modified jag half shaft was 5mm out. A string line and a few hours at Centreline in Thomastown sorted all that out, a different car altogether. If you plan on a few track days and she's a little wobbly at speed on the road, I would get that sorted as a start.
If you ever want have a chat about the cars, feel free to get in touch, no guarantees I know what Im talking about though !!
Have fun with it and ask plenty of questions here on the forum, there is huge knowledge .

Cheers
Chris L
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes it was you chris, i took a few pictures of your car and had a chat for half an hour or so. handling seems pretty good, took it for a good hard run on the weekend very windy road not to far from us with many advisory signs saying 35klm, must admit it was like it was on rails, it is a little soft and bottomed out a couple of times, but this can be adjusted out with shocks, but it has had all new bushes and had the diff realigned and shimmed already from what i read in the huge receipt file tha it came with.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Ahhh, the memories of thinking that my car handled well enough...

Are you planning to bring it to the nationals? It is a great weekend.