Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By stiffy
  • 1 Post By Treeve
  • 3 Post By PeterAllen
  • 2 Post By David Hodgson
  • 1 Post By tavas
  • 2 Post By 400TT
  • 1 Post By boxhead
  • 1 Post By Jaydee
  • 1 Post By Dimis
  • 4 Post By leroy17
  • 1 Post By Cobra01

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Build, buy or rebuild

Hi all

Been on and off lurking for a bit.

Like everyone, I have a dream to own a Cobra but with life getting in the way the dream hasn't come to fruition just yet.

To be honest I am not currently in a position to get one just yet but I have been keeping an eye on ebay and Carsales in case something comes up. Which has led me to ask, is it better to build fresh, buy second hand or pick up a half started project?

Mechanically I am confident I can assemble and fit up myself, engine internals and welding would have to be outsourced. One problem I have is knowing which manufacturer is good, although I suspect most are pretty similar.

My thoughts are as follows:
Build pros: you know the history
you can "personalise"
you can attempt to keep costs down.
The build itself

Cons: price could creep
build time could blow out
Chasing parts (could be a pro)
Interest level/ability to finish
Engineering/registration

Buy Pros: one time payment
You see what you get
Costs could be cheaper if you shop around.
You can drive away immediately (or near enough)

Cons: may not quite get what you want (eg colour, engine type, manufacturer)
Don't know history
May need to travel
Didn't build it yourself

Partial project pros: may get a bargain

Cons: may get a dog

At this stage as much as I would love to build my own car, I am thinking buying one and perhaps going for a mid life rebuild. I think all up costs would be similar, but I get a toy from the start without hassles trying to get it rego'd. Of course, there may be some dodgy examples out there.

What are other people's thoughts? Guess I should join a club first to talk to people there.

Cheers
Tavas
Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     

Hi Tevas,

Buy and rebuild, you can change a heap after you purchase

Or rebuild..........

Cannot say too much, PM me and I can expand........

Stiffy
BJ's Snake likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Even as an engineer who spends most of his time certifying ICVs, if someone asks me this at the start, I tell them to buy a registered one and rebuild it to suit what they are after. You still need to maintain compliance (so you can't swap an efi engine for a carbie'd side oiler), but you do get out and drive the dream. This is absolutely your best choice.

Too many nfinished projects go cheap because the owner can't take the heartache. Unless you've built and fixed at least one, I wouldn't recommend an unfinished project at all. There's too many unknowns for you at that time.

Do a kit as a second project if you have time and cash to build exactly what you really want.

Treeve
leroy17 likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

I'm an advocate for recycling also.
Buy and then rebuild as you please.

Best of all worlds.
Cheapest option (most likely),
Cars ready to go of the bat.
Less hassle (rego & compliance)
Still have the pros of "building" and then personalise making it YOUR car.
Still have the excitement of hunting upgrades and satisfaction of watching it evolve.

Everyone wins.
You get a head start and the seller gets what he wants. His old car to a good home.

Ps: Welcome to the madness
Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

My two bobs:

"I re-built it" does not sound as good as "I built it"
Old 07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

"I never finished it" does not sound as good as "I re-built it".

It all depends on your circumstances; your time, funds and facilities available, but more importantly on your own skill set. Quite frankly if you have to ask this question you shouldn't consider a scratch build.
Mando, steeler and Treeve like this.

Last edited by PeterAllen; 07-12-2013 at 05:11 PM..
Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

People ask me why I don't buy a Cobra.

My answer is that I do not want to OWN one, I want to BUILD one. I have never even sat in one, let alone driven/travelled in one...

I have no particular skills, although I can weld (?).

But geez, who would do anything if you could not do something for the first time!! I do not know anyone who was 'born' a mechanic.

To me it is about the journey, not the destination. Being patient and systematic.

Some of the builds I have seen online inspire me to push my ideas about an eye for detail and perfection. Of course time, money and skill are the practical limitations - but are not enough to put me off pursuing my dream.

Tavas - what is your dream? Is it driving the car, or building the car? The answer to this question should help you with your decision to build, re-build or buy...

I would not dream of a scratch build. I keep researching the kit manufacturers to see who can provide a product that I could complete. But, like many others who build cars, finishing the build would be bitter-sweet. The journey would in some ways be over...

In the meantime, on the weekend I scratched out a driveway at the side of the house, which will soon lead to a new garage in the backyard. Which will one day house a Cobra kit... and a beer fridge. One day...

That must be 50 cents worth!

Good luck with your journey Tavas

Tony

PS If online forums are no good for asking questions, they are not good for much! There are no stupid questions
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

From all the above replies, it is apparent that peoples dreams are different. Some want the building experience; locked in a shed for several years before final completion, because they love the challenge and may not even be true Cobra enthusiasts. Some who are Cobraphiles and just want to "own and drive", aren't a fussy as how they "get".

Ask yourself which one you are. Going by your post I suggest you aren't so passionate for the build experience. So buying and personalising gets you involed quicker, but also allows you to work on it yourself through upgrades or personalisation. Some on here make the build and compliance look easy, but if your not cut out for it, you may find yourself a statistic as Treeve mentioned.

Guys who want a GT Falcon or Monaro only have this option, and they don't get hung up on not being able to say "I built it", there just as happy saying "It's mine now"

There is a variety of types out there now for sale, from old school to new generation, but also some junk, so just be wise and do some homework.
leroy17 and Cobra01 like this.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Well put David!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had kinda come to the conclusion of buy and tinker myself but had seen a couple of half started projects on fleabay. But as mentioned, too many unknowns on that path.

Keep scouring Carsales and saving the pennies.

Cheers
Tavas
Gav likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Speaking personally, I think building is the best way to go. It makes it truly yours, you know the car intimately, you learn a heap of new skills and knowledge along the way and I think the finished car will mean that much more to you.

Plus, it's cheaper to start (though probably not to finish). One lump sum payment for the kit and the rest is smaller more affordable chunks along the way you can save for.

Finally, if no one was willing to butt heads against the compliance issues, and just push through it somehow, then cobra clubs would slowly die out. Local manufacturers wouldn't have a market, and if you don't mind me bring dramatic, the fun police would win again...

I reckon half finished EBay kits CAN be fantastic, but you'd want to be VERY careful in checking for compliance issues/dodgy home fabrication. Which probably means you'd need to know what you're looking at with them. Which probably means a new builder should not buy one.

That's just me though
Old 07-17-2013, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Tavas, my advice would be to have a good think about what you want out of your Cobra. I expect you have already been doing that. But it does help to put down in writing exactly what you want.

First make a list of the mandatory aspects you require in your Cobra.

Next make a list of optional items you would like to have.

Then research what kit brands will support all of your mandatory requirements and has support for the largest number of optional items or can be modified/upgraded to support your requirements.

Not every kit brand will be able to support all requirements, this is where you will need to do some research.

Some aspects you might consider:
* Fitment Issues - what height/size driver needs to be supported, do you have multiple drivers of different sizes and thus need seat sliders, does any of the drivers/passengers need comfortable sprung seats etc.
* Safety Issues - what safety requirements do you want - structural rollbar for drivers and/or passenger.
* Engine Type/Size, HP etc.
* Wheel Type/Size - Pin Drive or Bolt On, Deep Dish, how wide wheels/tyres
* Body Shape - what body shape pleases you, are you concerned about how accurate the body shape is not really worried.
* Side Pipes - do you want functional side pipes?
* Performance - is performance/handling crucial or do you just want a weekend cruiser?
* Racing - do you want to do any racing, if so what type and how often/competitive?
* Budget
* Etc

If you post your requirements the generous people on here can suggest the best kit brands and even if it will be financially viable to buy used and get what you want for the budget you have in mind.

If you shop wisely you could get something that you can enjoy now and enhance over time to be the perfect vehicle for you over time. Or it may mean that the only way to get want you want is to build or your available funds may mean you need to spend money required over an extended time period.

We do this for a business and have customers where a new kit is not suitable, so will advise and match owners with the best matched used Cobra kits for their requirements and perform any restoration/modification work they require.

Great start by jumping on here and asking questions. And if you haven't, join your local Cobra Club and get down to meetings and see as many Cobras as possible and chat with owners. You don't need to own a Cobra to be a member, you just need to be a Cobra enthusiast.

Good luck with it.

Craig White
leroy17 and tavas like this.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Tavas, talk to Craig (750hp) buy his Arntz.
Great shape car and open to so many possible mods.
leroy17 likes this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I bought a unfinished project, and I'm loving finishing it. All the expensive stuff has been done, paint, rolling chassis, windscreen, lots of bits and pieces, which saved me a lot of money. Now I can finish it exactly how I want it. It lets you get to know your car inside out.
It all depends on your patience level. Have you built stuff before? How many projects are unfinished? It always takes 3 times longer then you think when you add the PFAF. [piss fart around factor]
Good luck with your choice, don't dream it, do it.
JD
Tonus72 likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Tavas, talk to Craig (750hp) buy his Arntz.
Great shape car and open to so many possible mods.
Pretty much what I was thinking
You can't lose if you start there.
Towmaster likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

1981 Arntz Cobra for sale

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

The link above is a great option.

If I didn't have one I would get this, the opportunity to personalize off a great existing base and for the right money should be a no brainier decision.

For what's its worth, I bought mine and thought that I would be happy. In the three years of owning, not a week has gone past that I have not changed, polished, re-done, etc something to make it suit me..... And I never feel that I am fixing some ones work.... I am just personalising to suit me.

As I am sure that many owners experience.... You get stopped at servos, car parks, the driveway and so on by people wanting to know more. Rarely I get asked if I built it and when I do, I have no ego or pride issues to say no I didn't, nor has there been any adverse comments from any interested party about not building myself.

Looking back..... Would I buy first rather than build...... Yes. Get in it, drive it, get to know the pitfalls of ownership, learn to drive them respectfully...... I am sure many have been 'bitten' before, but most of all..... Have fun.

If these cars make you giddy when you see one.... You have dreams about them.... You have breakfast in the garage just looking at it ... Then your on the right track. If you just think it would be cool to have...... Leave it as a pipe dream with a good memory.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace 427 SC
Not Ranked     
Default Build or Buy

Hi Lee

I couldn't agree more in what you said

I decided that I would build a Cobra Replica because work was driving me crazy and i needed something to give me an interest.

After all, i first saw my first Cobra in 1966 and I have wanted a Cobra ever since so that's a good enough reason to start building a Cobra now.

Cheers

Brad
d488y2 likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just got a 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 SC and I need a little bit of help with the alignment of the small outside trunk hinges so they will look right. How far apart are they and how much does the trunk lid weigh (approximate). I want to uses the gas filled supports. Also gas supports on the hood, part numbers or what I need to look for.