Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1994 drb sbf c4 9inch
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Just curious if anybody has a tow bar on their Cobra?
I'm planning to tow my Para motor light weight trailer.
JD

not absolutly sure but it looks the real deal...doc
Jaydee likes this.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Trailer

Its real. Its Dagmars car and was at the Nats a few years ago. I keep thinking its Tony S's as he has one too but it may be the same car...Or its sister car. Others will know.

You can even buy it if you like.

2006 AC Cobra
Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That car (Harrison - Cobra Kits) belongs to Tony Stark.
Very neat setup, he towed that trailer behind the Cobra to the Nationals a few years ago. Has racks for his long boards on it also. Very Cool setup & yep it's for sale.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I thought Tony lived Northern NSW? That's a long way from Eagleby. Is Dagmar selling it on his behalf?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1994 drb sbf c4 9inch
Not Ranked     

bit hard to tell fom this pic as trailer sits away back to look like its attached but certainly looks like it was made to match,great idea..needs a side annex and bbq for a trip but ....doc
Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

My Bro-in-Law has one of those lightweight fibreglass style 6 x 4 trailers and I might end up getting one of those to tow behind the cobra too.

The wife and I would like to do a bit of touring and one of these trailers would be ideal to be able to carry a couple of sets of golf clubs and buggies plus our bags for any extended trips away.

Got to make the most of these cars I say.

Slo
Old 08-22-2013, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

It still never looks right though. What if you made a small replica mould 1/3 scale..
JD
Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Towing

Spook,

The RACV website mentions you can tow up to 1.5 times your cars kerb

weight.

Falccon Wagon 1660kg x 1.5 = 2490kg.

The car is only allowed to tow up to 2300KG's with the Factory tow pack,

(2300kg Tow Bar, tranny cooler) I also added electric brakes and air bags.

It tows like dream for an old car .

STIFFY
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Slo

Hey Slo,

You must be ready to FIRE up the donk if you are talking about

trailers and golf trips, we need a SHED RUN for September, will you be

ready for the 7th?

STIFFY
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
I thought Tony lived Northern NSW? That's a long way from Eagleby. Is Dagmar selling it on his behalf?
Not sure... Tony lives In QLD.... Ask no questions....
Couldn't have got it registered if he did live in NSW silly.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I would like one of these behind my Cobra.
OZCOBRA likes this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Stiff

I'm a long way off firing her up and the place is a nightmare so happy to do a shed run but not in the near future.

Focus is in front of the computer writing new job applications so I can await the return rejections - lol

Anyway you're also talking about erection day and people will need to cast a vote for their favourite tosser so that day gets quite messy
Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     

On the F3 this week ok M1 I saw a VW transporter with a car on the back also towing a trailer with a HJ statesman on it. He was broken down on the side of the road, cant imagine why. I figure he thought that if he increased his GVM by carrying a car he could tow a car & trailer that probably weighed more than the tow vehicle.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I recently was pulled over by DOT for a random scales check and got talking to the officer about various things.. He was telling me about how many cars towing loaded car trailers aren't legal and they were doing a lot more random pull overs and fines with the scales...

While I was within my tolerances (F250 and enclosed alloy trailer) he mentioned many of the modern cars promoted with towing capacities etc of 3500kgs are towing overweight and illegally and are open to prosecution as there GCM exceeds the vehicle spec.

I was even more surprised that when I mentioned I was going to upgrade to an F350 that he said "make sure you get your license upgraded too!" As it has an GVM over 4500kg so I have to get a light truck license!!!

A light vehicle license in QLD (I think all states) is for over 4500kg GROSS VEHICLE MASS. It does NOT take trailer weight into consideration. Provided the towing vehicle has a GVM of under 4500kg and the trailer is below the maximum tow rating it is legal.

However..

Just because the GVM is 3500kg and the tow rating is 3500kg does not mean the combination can be 7000kg. You MUST ensure the GCM, Gross Combined Mass, is not exceeded. Of course, the more equipment you add, the less it's actual payload is. Remember once you add fuel, tyres, people and tools it more than likely reduces the amount of trailer weight you can legally tow with.

So if your Ford Ranger tow car GVM is 3200t and your GCM is 6000 even though your can tow a braked trailer up to 3500kg, if your at your 3200kg GVM on your tow car the most you can now tow is 2800kg. Not 3500kg.

It really opened my eyes as to how that all works. Driving on the M1 a lot like I do I'd reckon 2 out of 3 car trailers I see being towed would not meet with the above.........

Food for thought.

Spookypt
Hey this is not entirely correct not all f350's exceed the 4500kg weight, there are various models and it depends what you choose and the year of the build. Later model trucks weight more then the earlier versions due to the additional equipment that is now standard.

The latest and greatest f350 dual cab with dual rear wheels and a 8' tray does exceed 4500kg but if you get this vehicle with the 6 foot tray the chassis is shorter and the weight comes in just under the 4500kg. For the record both have the same GCM both have the same towing capacity.

An f350 with single rear axle is well below the 4500kg.

Another thing that comes into play with any of the f series trucks or any ute for that matter is the towing capacity and GCM change if your trailer is a fifth wheel configuration.

The towing capacity for the f series also varies dependant if it is 4x4 or just 2 wheel drive.

Because the f350 is the shorter f350 is so close to the 4500 (4380 from memory) you can actual choose to register it as a utility or a light truck.

Pays to do your homework though so you are well informed prior to parting with the loot.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The f350 I was referring to with joe policeman was the 4 door 8 foot bed dually 2wd. The suicide door version of the above in 4wd also exceeds 4500kg.

In the end all I'm saying is tow safe tow smart.

Last edited by spookypt; 09-19-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Old 09-22-2013, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

With all the tech talk at the start of this thread just backs my thoughts that we should have a licence to tow a trailer. The weights, weight distribution, tow rate, tie downs should all be taught in the course. Just like going for a truck licence.
I have been with and seen so many people that shouldn't tow a trailer.
Mrs flatchat likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossba View Post
With all the tech talk at the start of this thread just backs my thoughts that we should have a licence to tow a trailer. The weights, weight distribution, tow rate, tie downs should all be taught in the course. Just like going for a truck licence.
I have been with and seen so many people that shouldn't tow a trailer.
I have just done my Heavy Rigid Truck License. It means I can drive most trucks not including semis/bdouble's etc.

I can tell you I had to complete a 10 question theory questionnaire at QLD Transport (I found it more difficult to find a park than the questions asked!) and do a practical test which was for 1hr.

Certainly I have had to satisfy some degree of knowledge and understanding ...but it was hardly rocket science.... Personally, it felt a little bit too easy imo considering the weight and capacity of what I'm now legally able to drive.

Oh, if curious as to why I went and got a HR license considering I drive a desk all day.... well I just hope with experience it makes me a safer and more competent road user... cant hurt.

Spookypt
Rossba likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Double Post. Forums doing funny things today.

Last edited by spookypt; 09-22-2013 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Doubel post
Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have just done my Heavy Rigid Truck License. It means I can drive most trucks not including semis/bdouble's etc.

I can tell you I had to complete a 10 question theory questionnaire at QLD Transport (I found it more difficult to find a park than the questions asked!) and do a practical test which was for 1hr.

Certainly I have had to satisfy some degree of knowledge and understanding ...but it was hardly rocket science.... Personally, it felt a little bit too easy imo considering the weight and capacity of what I'm now legally able to drive.

Oh, if curious as to why I went and got a HR license considering I drive a desk all day.... well I just hope with experience it makes me a safer and more competent road user... cant hurt.

Spookypt
Sad to hear it is getting easier now and have the knowledge with it for a heavy rigid.
I was more referring to a semi.

Good on you for doing the course for the experience. I totally support that.
I did a advanced rider training course for the motor bike and believe I became a better driver out of it also.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

With all that information about GVM and GCM, towball weight wasn't mentioned. The towball weight of the loaded trailer will be part of the GWM of the tow vehicle. As well, as the load weight of the tow vehicle is increased the allowable towball weight could decrease. Another thing to remember is the axle weights of the tow vehicle cannot be above manufactures max specs(I think only applies to commercial vehicles, passenger cars generally have no specs on axle weights). So your trailer could be loaded legally for weight and the total GCM could be correct, but axle weights on the tow vehicle, tandem trailer and towball weight might be incorrect. This could result in an overload fine if checked like Spookpt was.

Warren