Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GForce Sports Cars, Ford Coyote 5Ltr Engine
Not Ranked     
Default 302 Windsor Engine

I am looking at starting to build a replica AC this year and need some advice and direction on where I can source a 302 windsor engine? I am looking at getting a full EFI engine if these can be built or bought?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the club.
I bought a complete 91 Fairlane. That way you get all the bits and pieces. If you want a manual it gets a bit harder. Are you planning on a rebuild?
JD
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi,

You need to find and chat to an engineer (possibly the one your chosen kit manufacturer uses as they will be familiar with the kit), and make sure that a 302 will pass emissions in your state.

Finding one wont be hard, plenty of wreckers around that sell 302's or you can even buy a whole wrecked car.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

An E or A series Falcon will have the 5L motor you are chasing and all the compliance bits to match including cats and the carbon-charcoal filter system.

You'll pick up something easily in this bracket surely and it may be worthwhile getting a whole old cluncker for all the parts plus extras.

But as said speak with your engineer for confirmation first.

Cheers

Slo
Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Depends on what you are wanting to do to it. You can buy crate motors from Ford Racing, Summit, Shelby Engines, among others. If you wanted to go the more frugal way then I'd check your local wrecking yard for an 87-95 Mustang and rebuild that.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

The earliest you can run that has any hope of passing emissions is Falcon AU series if sourcing one in Australia. The best of these is AU3 as they had the most power, built by tickford and had some nice gear on them. Next best is AU2 which had a little less power but still had Tickford units available. Tickford units will have Tickford build sticker on rocker covers and tickford logo on throttle body etc.

From the USA the earliest you can run are any of the injected 5.0 HO engines. The best of these are from the early to mid 1990's, i.e. the last of them.

Forget any of the E series, they will not comply.

Forget any crate performance motors, they will not comply. Only rebuilt factory engines, rebuilt to original factory specs will comply.

The only exception here is that there are performance head, intake and CAM packages out of the USA that are also emissions compliant. e.g. trickflow, edelbrock etc.

Hope that helps.
Mrs flatchat, Gav and d488y2 like this.

Last edited by 400TT; 08-23-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Luke, if you're planning to build a Cobra, the engine is the easy bit. Have you considered which manufacturer you'd choose? If you haven't done so already, spend some time searching on this forum for some great insight into the different kit brands.

It would be a good start to click on 400TT's links in his signature.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

Apparently this motor is brand new less than 50klm on the clock.

Ford 5 0L AU III 220KW Tickford Complete Running Motor Original NEW Less 100km in Melbourne, VIC | eBay

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 08-23-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     

Luke I have one I am looking to unload. Its a 93 Ho motor from the US. Its still in the cobra and has a few little things such as a High Energy sump, and some gentle porting of the intake manifolds. Its a stock motor and has not given any trouble in the 5 years and 7K I have done .It has done approx 65K all up and is in excellent order.
I have a new engine coming with considerable improvements, that's why this one can go. I have photos of it, and you are welcome to sight it and here it run for yourself, its in Research Melbourne.
Let me know if that's something that interests you.

Regards
Chris
Old 08-23-2013, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1994 drb sbf c4 9inch
Not Ranked     

to get around alot of problems with emissions we just did the au2 motor and put it on dedicated gas no computers bugger all wiring and lot less problems containing the words "WHERE AM I GOING TO PUT THIS"....doc
Old 08-23-2013, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

oh and another thing you will need to run an au2/3 is unless you are going to put an aftermarket computer like haltech ,wolf etc you will need to make sure you get the actual key/and barrel,body module and computer from the same car as you get motor or u will find the smart lock a right pain ,unless you talk to someone who actually got one of these motors to run without any of this,believe litttle of what you hear,fords electronic set up are very hard to crack....doc
Old 08-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

nearly every late model motor that's fitted to newly built cobras can have security bypass

y go the 5lt

there is much better engines out there which are probably easier to engineer
and stay clear of aftermarket ecus as it can sometimes make it harder to pass engineering

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Here's a couple of pics of Chris's engine that he has for sale. The car certainly goes well. He picked up a trophy in his class at this years Shelbyfest.

Cheers

Old 08-24-2013, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

The poor old 302 gets a bit of bashing around here these days, but they are a great little motor virtually indestructable if built right and will produce reasonable amounts of power.
this is my engine, originally started out exactly the same as chris's engine but had a few upgrades such as cam, edelbrock heads and manifold and will rev to 6500 rpm all day and produce about 325 rear wheel horse power.

And yes i know it still has the fire starter sitting on top of the carb still trying to find somthing that will fit properly.

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 08-24-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike for putting those up............will chase you up for a tutorial on how to do it myself !!
Cheers
Chris
Old 08-24-2013, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

So Craig, or anyone else, why is it the E series won't pass emissions given the now relaxed testing we have in place down here?

Didn't think there was a hell of a lot different between the models or am I off the mark on this?

Cheers
Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i think that it might make the differance as to how you end up with it running,if yur going to leave it as an efi ,u might have probs passing it,rather than a later one has more rescent emissions ,i am not sure if you can even use e series or au series,u might find yur looking at 5.4 boss from b series or even coyote from newer fpv,im certain there are differances in emission tests if u go dedicated lpgas,makes good h/p .....doc
Old 08-25-2013, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Replica, 5.0 Supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._1972_2018.pdf
Above is a link to a summary of emissions requirements for new petrol cars in Australia.
I've been searching the web and talking to my Engineering about the planned engine for my Pace 427 Build, a 351 EFI Windsor. The engine must pass an IM240 test and there is no magic way of passing you need a good tune, good cats and stock ECU. I have read about some modified turbo engines that have passed the IM240 so it seems to be all about what's coming at the tail pipe, emissions and noise!
Like others have said the engine is the easy part : )
Enjoy your journey
Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have an EF XR8 with manual gearbox.
$800 and its yours. Fuel pump and keys are missing.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

E85 will give you a lower emissions reading.....

Just saying.
d488y2 likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: