Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     
Default Baby Seats.

We just got our first baby. Little eating screaming **** machine. And I wonder of the legality of baby seats. Would it be possible to have a seat on the tunnel between the 2 seats? I think a booster seat might fit.
JD
Old 08-27-2013, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

It has been done in a Cobra here with both a booster and forward facing seat,but I doubt a capsule would fit or be particle in that space!!

It is legal to fit a child restraint in the front of a utility or van (single row of seating)provided there is a seatbelt and a child restraint anchorage point available.
Restraint achorages would no doubt have to be in line with Current engineering requirements....

As I said it has been done and not an eye sideways by the Plod!!

If my memory serves me correct,it was Melbourne Real Estate agent Barry Plant who had a baby seat atop the tunnel in his Cobra!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 08-27-2013 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Extra
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Was an option on Austin-Healey Sprites:

Probably a little unsafe.
OZCOBRA, Treeve and Jaydee like this.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jaydee, I've just done a baby middle seat installation in my single cab f truck.

To be compliant in qld u must install a 3rd adult seat and them have it certified/complianced etc then have the car upgraded through qld transport as a 3 seater then ensure the seat capsule rear anchor points are certified.

It's quite the process but doable in an f250. A cobra I dunno.

Having now done all that, I'm upgrading so as she can go in the back. It's a little cosy with all 3 of us up front.

Spookypt
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

my daughter loves coming for ride in the cobra.
this is a picture taken at the opening of the final link in the hume hwy at holbrook
Mr plod was having a good look and a chat, he saw no issues with it.
my father also used to have a car seat bolted in the back of his 365 gt4 on the tunnel hump also no issues with that either.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Honestly, why are you considering this? I would have thought your cobra was a reason to get away from the house for a break.
Love the sound of the exhaust, but a high pitched scream in your left ear is not relaxing.
PS- Purchase baby ear muffs, waterproof capsule, baby block out/sunscreen and plenty of disposable nappies ( 'cause to kid's going to sh8t itself every time your hit the power pedal!!!!)
Jaydee likes this.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndave View Post
Honestly, why are you considering this? I would have thought your cobra was a reason to get away from the house for a break.
Love the sound of the exhaust, but a high pitched scream in your left ear is not relaxing.
PS- Purchase baby ear muffs, waterproof capsule, baby block out/sunscreen and plenty of disposable nappies ( 'cause to kid's going to sh8t itself every time your hit the power pedal!!!!)
When my Cobra becomes driveable in about a year my kids will be 5 and 2, I'm very much looking forward to being able to take them for a drive - one at a time unfortunately!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
We just got our first baby. Little eating screaming **** machine. And I wonder of the legality of baby seats. Would it be possible to have a seat on the tunnel between the 2 seats? I think a booster seat might fit.
JD
I'm no engineer, but here's my take....

I'd say not. The booster would put the child's head way up high. Also, you'd need engineered hard mount points for the anchorages, including a third seat belt which would be technically impossible in that location.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Legal, schmegal...
boxhead, Rog246 and dhs.buckley like this.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess the wife will be staying home.
JD
OZCOBRA likes this.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Talking

whats wrong with using the boot !??
If it B*tch**es put a plexiglass lid on it as a temporary measure.....you could even put a baby capsule in there !!

Harrison #100

Last edited by Rog246; 08-30-2013 at 02:54 AM..
Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
JD
I don't know what the child restraining seat laws are Downunder, but in the US are very strict about it, as a matter of fact recently a grandfather was arrested for endangering the welfare of his grandson because he had him in a Corvette and there was no seat booster or child seat attached to the car seat, and the child was under 8 years old.
If a child is under 8 years of age he/she must ride in the back seat and if under 65lbs must have a seat booster. NEVER in the front seat leat alone facing forward.
I have a grandson who I took for a ride when he was about 2 years of age, no seat booster just the Cobra harness, he loved every minute of it but it was literally around the block less than 5 miles away. My son who is an EMT told me that I was risking a ticket and possible arrest and I stop doing it. Mind you I am a retired Federal LE .
All this said, be very mindful of all these laws.
Regards mate
Lou

Last edited by BAsque1; 08-30-2013 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: add a picture
Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep laws are pretty much identical down here!!😎

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Last edited by BAsque1; 08-30-2013 at 04:41 AM..
Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsque1 View Post
I don't know what the child restraining seat laws are Downunder, but in the US are very strict about it, as a matter of fact recently a grandfather was arrested for endangering the welfare of his grandson because he had him in a Corvette and there was no seat booster or child seat attached to the car seat, and the child was under 8 years old.
If a child is under 8 years of age he/she must ride in the back seat and if under 65lbs must have a seat booster. NEVER in the front seat leat alone facing forward.
I have a grandson who I took for a ride when he was about 2 years of age, no seat booster just the Cobra harness, he loved every minute of it but it was literally around the block less than 5 miles away. My son who is an EMT told me that I was risking a ticket and possible arrest and I stop doing it. Mind you I am a retired Federal LE .
All this said, be very mindful of all these laws.
Regards mate
Lou
I agree with everything other than never in the front seat.
On vehicles without a rear seat and without an airbag or if it has a factory way of disabling the airbag, (F150 with disable key on dash) then it is legal. The cobra does not have an airbag or rear seat.
Because it is legal, does not mean it's a good idea though!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

front seat is ok in australia with a booster seat as long as no rear seat available.
the only thing not legal is a baby capsule facing backwards with an air bag.
or no booster seat at all.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It all comes down to, if it looks safe, with belts etc, most police aren't going to look at it too carefully. What about an old style dicky seat in the old model T's with the boot opening backwards with a seat built in. Not sure what cars had those.
JD
Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Who says they don't have back seats?

Can't remember where I got this photo from, but it came off the web from my years of trawling...
OZCOBRA and Chook like this.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Passengers would end up with a wicked bump on the forehead if you were to brake hard!!!
Jaydee likes this.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Would that be legal here? Never thought that could be done. It just doesn't look right. Taking a jigsaw to the body, ouch.
JD