Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Windsor 302 stroked to 347
Not Ranked     
Default Long Time Listener, 1st Time Caller: New ACC Member & Cobra Hunting

Hello All,

My name is Adam (nickname Chook) and live in Sydney.
I've had a passion for cobras for over 20 years and have decided this year to start looking and investigating seriously to the end goal of owning one.
I've spent most of the first half of this year researching through books, online, forums, club meets, meeting mechanics, manufacturers etc to establish exactly what I want, and don't want.
I attended the nationals 2 years ago purely as a spectator and knew from there on, the dream could come to realisation in a few years. I couldn't make last year as I attended the NRL GF but will be there this year, again sadly as a spectator!!
So far this year, my cobra hunting experience has endured a deposit on a DRB replica, for $35k, only to be gazumped before a mechanical inspection was to occur, settled on $39k purchase price of a G-Force cobra (the one that is on their actual website that sold a few years back for $50k+), that sold for $41k and only last week pulling out of the race for the $30k white cobra on gumtree. This was after arranging an inspection through the WA Cobra Club President, to find out that it was on a crown chassis (the owner was totally clueless of what I was even talking about!).

So, where am I now? After joining the NSW cobra club last month, (although haven't attended any meets yet), and still cobra searching, I have a clearer expectation of what I can afford and what kind of value I can expect (at least more than a year ago anyway). I'm not too interested in building, as I'm not very mechanically skilled, therefore costs blow out, and have explored importing but again for a variety of reasons, in the too hard basket. So turn key it is. I'm not too fussy on manufacturer, as my budget is up to $45k, so I'm only expecting a first/2nd generation kit, entry level cobra etc. I'm happy to buy something that isn't exactly what I want, ie colour, roll bar missing etc, and to spend the money later to modify. I'm not interested in a crown chassis (although never driven that type), just for the pure reason that resale values will drop quicker than most, and the commentary provided on previous threads. Must be manual, choice is hallibrand wheels, bumpers not quickjacks etc etc. I could go on. Oh, and don't mention Mr D. Tuck.. vehicles.....(Did you know he has just popped up all over ebay and gumtree in the couple days?!)

The main sticking point that I have come across in the last month or so when talking to different people, is the emissions standard testing when engineering from another state to NSW. Can someone please clarify if a 302 Windsor or 351 Cleveland for example would pass the engineering test in NSW????
I understand the ford engines on the falcon AU series (and after), and the LS1, LS2 etc are acceptable, but what about these 'older' type engines??

I think this is important, as NSW plated cobras seem to be a premium price because of this, and there is much better value in other states ie QLD and WA, and this seems to fit my budget better too!

Your input/feedback would be greatly appreciated, I love the forum, and the wealth of knowledge (I have spent every night reading this year, searching key terms etc), and look forward to meeting maybe a few of you come Oct. long weekend.

PS - I have spoken to a few of you already, either email, PM or phone, and very grateful for the help thus far. Thank you
Aussie Mike, boxhead and Gav like this.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Nice intro and details, welcome and I am sure that you will get many suggestions.

For what its worth, for the budget and the ease of rego, if it was me, this is where I would be placing my coin.

1981 Arntz Cobra for sale

Great base, with scope for easy personalisation. If it was me a would be going for historic racer look, decals, pin drives, side pipes. All this and its LHD.

Its worth a flight on the weekend to check it out..... your search may be over quicker than you think with less headaches.
OZCOBRA likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Adam

Welcome to the BigTop!!!

And yes a terrific intro!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1994 drb sbf c4 9inch
Not Ranked     

i hope for your sake you have driven some of these or at least one ac cobra ,i have known a couple of people around clubs up here that have purchased turn key one was 50k+ and have sold on as the shock as to the lack of luxury so to speak ,seems alot of people get carried away by their boyhood fantasies only to realise they would rather look at one than drive one,only after they have purchased though...just putting it out there ..hope you find what yur looking for cause they are a scream.....in yur pants....doc
Old 08-28-2013, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Leroy17 is a wise man...I've always said that.

Welcome to the forum Chook.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...pictureid=7610

This is the vision that I see when I look at the Arntz that is for sale....... not hard to achieve.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gidday chook, nice intro and welcome.... I can relate to your pain with car searching... I experienced similar earlier in the year while trying to buy another car (non cobra) . Finding and securing the right car can be a challenge.

Sounds to me like u've done some great research. Ill second Leroy's comments.. Craig (750hp) car is a great car and a great price. And Craig's very well known in cobra circkes and a respectable fella too.

Good luck in your search.

Talk to many and make sure you introduce yourself at the nats..

Spookypt
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cheers guys.
Leroy17 - I actually exchanged a few emails with Craig a few months ago. I can't get past the LHD. Each to their own hey! Very neat car though. Craig I hope you have the roll bar back on! But then again I've been surprised by the amount of people that prefer it off....again each to their own.
Darkside - I couldn't agree more and something I feared when I first drove one. But have loved it ever since and driven a few now. Everyday drive is an X5 so plenty of creature comforts there! Nice ride too and great story and pics.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm biased on the lhd thing but what I can say is Craig's car can and does have legally what many can't. Live pipes, carby donk and cheap rego.

If I was buying a streeter it'd be in my garage already.

Spookypt
leroy17 likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Chook, it all comes back to the year of manufacture, which is year of 1st registration for these used Cobra's.

The emissions level the Cobra was originally complied to is what it will still need to meet. Don't even think about AU or LS engines, they are only required for new Cobra builds. The Cobra's you are looking at will have much earlier engines as they will be old models. So will have carby or if you are lucky a very early EFI engine.

Have you chatted to an engineer about the requirements for registration transfer. NSW does require re-engineering for interstate cars, but only to the standards that applied at the vehicles manufacture date. It should be a straight forward process. Notice that I say should, as this is way more hassle than it should be.

NSW is not the only state that is a pain, if you transfer a NSW rego car to QLD, QLD will still require re-engineering. It is obvious that NSW, QLD etc transport departments do not trust each others requirements and processes.

With that budget in mind I would recommend looking at the much more popular early kit models like DRB or RMC. The early DRB will drive better and be easier to maintain, but the RMC would appeal more to the purist. Most likely will have an early Ford Windsor engine. So much knowledge and experience available on this forum for these models. Both very solid models, guaranteed future resale and a whole lot of fun to own. How do I know, I have owned both models myself and really enjoyed my time with them.

Good luck with your search mate.

Craig White
Towmaster likes this.

Last edited by 400TT; 08-28-2013 at 05:10 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chook View Post
Craig I hope you have the roll bar back on! But then again I've been surprised by the amount of people that prefer it off....again each to their own.
Yep - everyone wore me down, so the roll bar is in place again!

Leigh, the more I think about it, the more I can see me keeping the car and fitting my healthy big block Ford motor and bullnose toploader and an evil sounding set of side pipes. I wonder if 400TT Craig has a set of pindrive wheels laying around that need a new home...?

Last edited by 750hp; 08-28-2013 at 05:17 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Spookypt.
Craig (White) that is music to my ears. Great advice and gives me the confidence to continue looking interstate. I've had a brief conversation with Treeve when I was circling the G-Force a few weeks ago. He seems to come best recommended and I always value his great posts. The AP facility looks great and many down here are excited to see some product at the nats.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Thanks Chook, I'm happy I could have been of some help. If you find anything and you're after NSW specifics of what it would take to rego, give me a shout and I'll do what I can to let you know where a specific vehicle would sit on the easy > difficult range.

Treeve
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

must admit with the nsw thing, a lot of people looked at my car when it was for sale, but thought it was to hard because of the carb (originally fuel injected mustang motor)
I belong to a club that is based on the border of nsw and vic, i have had both club members that do roadworthys in nsw and vic look at it and both said it would pass because of the chassis date. and it also qualifies for club reg in both states.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Welcome along Adam, great intro and well done, really does sound like you have a level expectation and at the same time know what you are after.

Hope you manage to find one in the garage sooner rather than later.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Emissions are based on whatever is newer, the chassis or the engine, so your motor should comply with it's date of manufacture if its newer than the chassis.

If it doesn't its non compliant and you've been informed incorrectly.

Treeve
Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

Hi Treeve, the motor is older than the chassis by a couple of years, the car still runs cats which apparently still makes it legal.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Chook, had a guy come in today that wants to book his RMC in for a service and it indicated he would sell it. Brief discussion on pricing puts it right in your price range and I think very good value.

Give me a call etc if you are interested and I can find out the details and photos. If you want to take it further we/you can find out the basic specification and approvals for the car and check with Treeve on re-engineering requirements. It is a 1 owner, so he will have all the paperwork. It is an early car, so should be complied to one of the much earlier standards which is handy.

Happy to inspect it for you if that helps, but would need to charge for time spent.

Just to be clear I have no financial interest in this transaction, you will be dealing directly with the owner on price etc.

No one knows it is for sale, so at least this one won't be purchased from under you.

DHS/Treeve, don't know if it is just me, but what has been written isn't real clear. The 1st registration date of the car will tell us what emissions level was current/applicable to that car. Then the car still needs to be fitted with an engine that is known to be compliant to that emissions level. If the engine is from a later emissions level, then the engine needs to be compliant with the emissions that were applicable for that engine.

Your engine could be 10 years or more older than your chassis. With new kits today your engine could be much older than 10 years if sourced locally, it could be 20+ years older than the chassis date if sourced from the USA and still be an engine in production form that is compliant with emissions or should be compliant with emissions if it had all new parts fitted etc.

The only caveat with this is that the kit may have had special approval to be compliant with older regulations than what was around when it was first registered. This situation generally applies when rules are changing to give existing builders the ability to comply with the older regulations.

Craig White
Old 08-29-2013, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Treeve - no doubt (and hope) we'll be working together soon.
Craig - that sounds like great news. I guess if you could send me the specs of the car and photos like you said and then I'll take it from there with the owner? What's your thoughts? Thanks for the spotting and the offer of inspection. If I get that far down the track with the car, I'd definitely take you up on it.
Cheers
Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G'day Craig (and everyone else),

The issue is the date of registration for a new ICV is the day it was registered (i.e. today), but the engine could be sourced from an older car. If the date of registration of your ICV was mid 90's, and you then want to fit a newer engine, you need to comply with the newer engine emissions requirements. If you want to fit an old engine (say an old side oiler) it needs to comply with the data of registration of the chassis, so it would have to comply with mid 90's emissions.

Its not too complicated, just keep in mind that you aren't allowed to go backwards with your emissions compliance.

Happy to look over the paperwork for this one too, as a single owner car it helps because most original owners are quite meticulous about their paperwork.

Treeve