Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By leroy17
  • 1 Post By Donunder
  • 2 Post By dhs.buckley

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     
Default Tonneau Cover, ideas?

I am taking the cobra down to the trimmers in the next couple of days to have a tonneau cover made.
i am just wondering what people think of the push button style or to go with the pin style press studs?
Iam just a bit worried the pin style may cause cracks in the fibreglass?
does anyone have expierence with either?
and also i magime you wouldnt want the pin style ones on the doors.

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 10-06-2013 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: photo and computer problems
Old 10-06-2013, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

The third one look great, if not a little complex.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

ok... that was not helpful I know. I have no cover.. no roof.

I have thought about it in the past..... but I also like the nice clean look with no pins/studs as well.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have the same style on my car, when I drove to Cairns and back I left the passengers side fitted up and no issue.
I also put the cover on each time I tow Cobra to ShelbyFest or Nationals on my open trailer. No cracks in glass on mine.
But the CR has very thick Fibreglass.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

having a little computer trouble this morning, i see it has double posted, it crashed twice while trying to upload picks.
I also love the clean look but the interior needs a cover when staying overnite.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have the pine style fixings for my tonneau cover and soft top with no problems. Give me a call if you want to drop round and have look.
Stuart
Old 10-06-2013, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The pin style, or lift at dot, is fine for around the cockpit and along the top of the dash, and you need one flat push button type on the door about a third of the way back from the leading edge. I'd avoid the cap style--they look too obvious when the cover is in place, although their mounting posts are smaller.

Ask your upholsterer to sew in some foam padding where the tonneau goes along the top of the door to compensate for the "dip" between the dashboard and the hip in the bodywork past the trailing edge of the door. It doesn't need much, and in fact I wouldn't have thought of it, but my guy suggested it to give the appearance that the cover was sitting flatter and to prevent the need to put more than one push-button stud in the door. The padding stops excess flapping when driving along and also makes the cover more water/dust proof.

You probably don't need as many clips around the back as shown in your third shot. I'm of the same opinion as Leroy on that it's a shame to destroy the clean lines of the bodywork, but it's a necessity to have a tonneau because there's not always cover when you're out somewhere. At the same time, try to avoid the picket fence look by keeping the number of clips down to a functional minimum.
Cobra01 likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #102 Ford 5l Fuel Injected AU 2
Not Ranked     

I have the lift a dot pins with a nylon washer between the base and the Jelcoat no star fractures as yet now 2 years. I have far less fixing than you Pic's. Three each side of rear center to door opening and 2 each side at front plus the foam pads along the doors.No fixings on the doors .
Trevor W
Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Saw the trimmer today, he was not impressed with the pics he said they look amateur. He suggested pins for originality three each side of centre, none on the doors as he can mould it with nylon inserts inside the tonneau, 2 pins in the middle of the dash and maybe 2 each side of the center pins, it goes in next monday.
On another note stuart I tried to ring you a couple of weeks ago, have changed your no?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Here's a thought. What if you glued super magnets under the fibreglass all along the edge and inside the doors, and the sow a flexible type fridge magnet into the tonnea cover. Would that hold?
JD
Old 10-07-2013, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey jd, thought that might work, but the glass is so thick he has to order new pins with longer threads, most of the glass is over 1/4" thick, in some parts its over 10mm. Hardest bit is the rear guard near the door, very hard to get a pin in there.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:32 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave. Who is doing for you?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Quote:
but the glass is so thick he has to order new pins with longer threads, most of the glass is over 1/4" thick, in some parts its over 10mm
Maybe it's a thought for manufactures to mould them in with the fibreglass. Or maybe eliminate most of the pins by just holding the corners for strength and the magnets to hold it flush. I'll source some to see if it'll work.
JD
Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartt View Post
Dave. Who is doing for you?
Univeral upholstery in wodonga, had my ute seats reupholstered by him as a test, a very nice job, he even sourced the original end rolls from gmh, expensive but an excellent job.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK IV/Coyote/PS/PB/ABS/AC
Not Ranked     

Another option: a snapless tonneau.

About Phil and Kay tonneau cover ! - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got the car back today from the trimmers, looks ok , pretty close to what i was thinking
apart from the press studs which he said he couldnt fit them as the glass was to thick in places. main thing is it keeps the weather and undersirables out.

boxhead and Jaydee like this.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That looks good -- not too many clips.

The zip goes back an awfully long way though -- usually they stop just short of the bodywork. I think I'd be slipping a piece of felt under it to protect the paint, especially if you're ever driving with passenger side in place and the tonneau is flapping a bit. If you are driving this way, there'd be no need to undo the zip all the way back either.

Without being too much of a wet blanket, I'd suggest you may eventually be asking your upholsterer to fit a shorter zip. But, try it for a while and see how it goes.....

Nice looking car too. I'm a big fan of that clean street look.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

looks good.

I don't see why the trimmer would not have put a "flap" under one half of the zip at the back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
That looks good -- not too many clips.

The zip goes back an awfully long way though -- usually they stop just short of the bodywork. I think I'd be slipping a piece of felt under it to protect the paint, especially if you're ever driving with passenger side in place and the tonneau is flapping a bit. If you are driving this way, there'd be no need to undo the zip all the way back either.

Without being too much of a wet blanket, I'd suggest you may eventually be asking your upholsterer to fit a shorter zip. But, try it for a while and see how it goes.....

Nice looking car too. I'm a big fan of that clean street look.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks don & modena its growing on me, just been used to the clean lines with out the tonneau, there is flap with felt underlay on the doors and the zip, but doesn't take long to remove, maybe ok around town, but imagine it may flap a bit at hwy speeds. Also the reason the zip is so long is the seat is hard up against the boot bulkhead, so he made it so the hole drivers side can fold into the passenger side.

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 10-16-2013 at 01:44 AM..