Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force 118 Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     

Zedn
Try Bus and Truck wreckers. The older vehicles had them on the spare tanks but may need to be modified
Jeff
Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Any details on source for the $50 cap?
Hi zedn,

I bought it years ago, from a us seller on ebay, who going by his other items being unrelated to the cap, must have been like those tv shows buying sheds or something. Most of my bargains were found by setting up a ebay search with emails. And then wait. Something normally turns up.

I guess that's how most of my cobra stuff was aquired. Look on ebay for a few months, get a feel for market price and when something looks good then pull the trigger. In the end 30% au, 30 us and the rest china and uk.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Thanks. All the ones I have found on eBay are not the correct one. Will probably just buy from finish line.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

I bought a unfinished project and just about over it.
When looking at the kit it seemed like everything was there.
The guy I bought it off got it as I got it from the first owner and was buying/collecting all the bits to complete it but didn't get to do any of the work.
When I was fitting the rear brakes the axle spun with the other wheel still on the ground. Was supposed to be a rebuild LSD. Found the centre was completely stuffed with shot bearings, fused clutches and a spider bear fused to a shaft. Had to use the oxy to get it apart. Had to totally rebuild the centre.
After doing a track day at winton the diff housing starting leaking. Pulled the diff out and found a crack in the tube than ran for nearly half the diameter of the tube. Looks like the control arm bolt was holding the diff together.
Found that that side tube has 3 different sections in it. Stuck a gauge down the tube to check the straightness and that side tube is bent also.
The axles had been machined down where the bearing goes and was bottoming out against the spider gears.
Looks like I have to start again and get a complete 9" diff conversion done.
The front end had similar problems. Had the front end out 3 times before we got it right.
All these things were supposed to be done and we sort of paid for them in the purchase because they were done.
in the end I think I have build 3 cobras. lol Paid for 2.
Everything that had been done on that car I had to redo.
Many of the new parts were either didn't fit or were faulty and the manufacturer didn't want to know. So many key items were still missing.

If I was to do it again I would buy a bare kit and a doner car from the auctions.

I dont want to put you off getting one but help point out to you some things to look out for.

Ross
Old 10-13-2013, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

It is standard fare to build your Cobra at least 3 times, so it sounds like you have done OK Rosco!
BJ's Snake, Mando, dc7531 and 2 others like this.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company
Not Ranked     

Check out my photo album! Rx.Stanley.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not sold on ebay

This item was listed on ebay with a starting bid of $6000 and there was only one bid at this number and did not sell as the reserve was not meet.

This kit reminds me of G Force and early RMC without double stacker chassis rails.

if you can get this kit for $6000 OBO it is good value and the owner wanted something closer to $9000 as indicated on Gumtree.

No evidence is shown that intrusion bars ,doors and bootie and bonnet etc were fitted as you can allocate several weeks to those the items plus alignment..

I reckon the final build cost would be around $20k (excluding engineering)if you are multi skilled in building this project

Last edited by justcobra; 10-20-2013 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 10-20-2013, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Cheap Cobra

mdl.wright,

There was a bloke that did a cheap Cobra in the ACT, he was at the

Nationals a few years back, it looked like he had used a lot of Hyundai/Honda

donor parts, maybe he is still around and you can gain some wisdome from him.

STIFFY
Old 10-20-2013, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you build a cheap Cobra then that is what you will have.... End of story.
boxhead, Gav, Zedn and 1 others like this.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcobra View Post
This item was listed on ebay with a starting bid of $6000 and there was only one bid at this number and did not sell as the reserve was not meet.

This kit reminds me of G Force and early RMC without double stacker chassis rails.

if you can get this kit for $6000 OBO it is good value and the owner wanted something closer to $9000 as indicated on Gumtree.

No evidence is shown that intrusion bars ,doors and bootie and bonnet etc were fitted as you can allocate several weeks to those the items plus alignment..

I reckon the final build cost would be around $20k (excluding engineering)if you are muti skilled in building this project
Have you built a cobra? I would call myself multi skilled and I am up in the $40k's not yet finished. Base kit was $6k, the only things I have paid for labour on are drive shafts and machining of header flanges. I even fabricated my own windscreen frame.
Yes you can build a kit cheap but what is the point when you are going to spend 4-5 years doing it and it will look crap and drive crap.
leroy17 likes this.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Building a cobra

Quote:
Have you built a cobra? I would call myself multi skilled and I am up in the $40k's not yet finished. Base kit was $6k, the only things I have paid for labour on are drive shafts and machining of header flanges. I even fabricated my own windscreen frame.
Yes you can build a kit cheap but what is the point when you are going to spend 4-5 years doing it and it will look crap and drive crap.
Would you kindly check out my photo album and then make a justifiable comment as I have not only started on a RMC but I have restored countless English and other classic cars during my life.
I do not care how long it takes it is the SATISFACTION !
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok. Sorry, I take that back. So from the pictures you have picked up what looks to be a wrecked kit and towed it home. Not trying to take anything away from that, but it starts to add up. Just new oil for my ls3 was $140 unbudgeted on the weekend! plus thousands in bolts, wire, wiring connectors, bits of steel, bearings, bushes, shifter relocation etc. steering uni's, exhaust bends, gaskets, flange plates, radiator plumbing, fan, it goes on and on and on. When I started out I thought I could put it on the road for under $30k, but I was very wrong. Not that I care cause the cost is so spread out.

Big difference between cost of restoring what you have and buying new parts.
Towmaster and leroy17 like this.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The key word in restoring and building a AC cobra or any other classic is OVERCAPITALISATION and if you cannot do the work yourself then you got to pay someone with the so called skill and pay them upto $100 per hour.
It is good if you got a passion for this craft and you are never too old to pick up new skills
Rog246 likes this.

Last edited by justcobra; 10-21-2013 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 10-21-2013, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just new oil for my ls3 was $140 unbudgeted on the weekend!
What are you running Zedn, Castrol Edge Unobtainium? Or was that 2x 5L bottles due to needing a bit over 5L to fill?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ls3 is mobile 1 5w 30. Takes a bit over 8 litres and is $80 for 5 lt bottle then $20 for 1. Not sure I believe that it has to be that brand, but they are all about the same for that grade.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcobra View Post
The key word in restoring and building a AC cobra or any other classic is OVERCAPITALISATION and if you cannot do the work yourself then you got to pay someone with the so called skill and pay them upto $100 per hour.
It is good if you got a passion for this craft and you are never too old to pick up new skills
Very true, but I am in the $40s doing it all myself. Buying parts cheap from eBay and overseas. But that is good quality parts, lokar, American racing, hurst etc. It's in the $100ks to pay some one to build it.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
What are you running Zedn, Castrol Edge Unobtainium? Or was that 2x 5L bottles due to needing a bit over 5L to fill?
You wouldn't want to know what synthetic trans fluid costs then Sambo!

To save you the come back, yes I know you don't want to know about an auto trans in a Cobra
boxhead likes this.