Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default My new Cobra hits the road!

OK, so it's not "new", but I've just imported a lovely old Contemporary Cobra and took it for a first decent run down to the Queensland Cobra Club breakfast this morning.

If you saw my old blue Cobra, you'll know that it was fast but not exactly an authentic looking replica. I've always hoped that I would end up with something that had the power, but that also looked pretty close to the way the original cars were back in the day. To achieve that, I have looked around for a while for an early replica that had a healthy FE big block, period style accessories and the patina of a car that has been on the road for decades.

I found it!

The fact that the Contemporary Cobras also have a round tube chassis is good for originality I suppose, but I don't think it's as torsionally strong as my Arntz and it's probably about a millionth as strong as the new Absolute Pace chassis or the JBL cars in the US.

I had put my Arntz Cobra up for sale to make way for this one in the garage, but I'm still having too much fun with the Arntz so I'm keeping them both. They're completely different cars with different characteristics, so I'm using that to justify why it is sensible to own 2 Cobras.

About the only thing I'll probably do is swap out the Compomotive wheels for some Trigo pin drive jobbies. Other than that, it's exactly what I wanted and I'm over the moon with how it drives.

Interior with the patina of a car that's been used but well looked after.

1964 date coded 427 FE big block. Keith Craft CNC Edelbrock heads and a few other goodies. TKO600 with shiny red McLeod spinning bits and a German autobahn 5th gear ratio that makes it unusable at Queensland speed limits.

Ahhh, pretty purple flowers.

I bought the car off a deadset champion over in the States. He jokingly asked for a photo of the Cobra beside a kangaroo as proof that the car had arrived in Australia. Hundreds of them live pretty near my place, so i thought it would be easy. The reality is that they scatter as soon as a high compression big block through barely muffled side pipes rumbles towards them. Not to be outdone, I took this photo. The fact that I had to point out Skippy in the photo means that I didn't do a very good job. It was that, or send a photo of the car beside some roadkill...

boxhead, OZCOBRA, Rebel1 and 8 others like this.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Windsor 302 stroked to 347
Not Ranked     

Congrats - 2 cobras!!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Cool

......... a German autobahn 5th gear ratio that makes it unusable at Queensland speed limits.

Looking terrific.... You could have dressed up in a skippy suit for the photo shoot!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Congrats Craig, Awesome car. Those Contemporary Cobras are super nice.

Cheers

Old 10-13-2013, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

so that's what the spare garage was really for craig
looks good to me ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,envy is me
rob
Old 10-13-2013, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Great looking car. Nice one.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Way cool and in super nice shape. What is it with your family and red cobras.

Great find and yep...... That's a shade of green that I am wearing.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Brilliant!!!
Well done to you sir.
Congrats and enjoy!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Craig your "new" car is a beauty and it is even the correct color with the steering wheel on the proper side. If my car ends up down under I know to ask for the skippy picture as proof of arrival.

Dick
Old 10-13-2013, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace 427 SC
Not Ranked     

Hi Craig,

As the Ad says " Love that Car "

Cheers

Brad
Old 10-13-2013, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

Awesome looking car !!
Just wondering, did you get any grief with importing and rego etc.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Nice machine Craig, I'm a fan of solid colours and no stripes.

I'm also wondering about full rego with a big block and active sidepipes - noise testing not an issue for imported cars?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You should post some photos of the two parked next to each other.

Would like to hear you contrast and compare the two as I am interested in both models.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     

Craig, Craig, Craig a 3 red cobra LHD family!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Great car, I've always admired the Contemporary shape!
Congratulations.

Regards.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm super happy with the way things turned out. I've bought a few cars from the States and haven't ever flown over for a look. Jeff was really helpful in sending me as many pictures and details as possible (and he'd already taken this video of it which made me fall in love with the sound of it at idle. Crank up the sound!!!)

Jeff also got involved in sorting out a typo I spotted on the title that would have caused major issues if it wasn't resolved before the purchase. I asked him what other parts needed replacing so that I could throw them into the container. He explained what had been updated or replaced over the past years and said it didn't need anything and to be careful driving it because "it's a beast". As Dad and I were on the way over to collect the car from the customs broker I suddenly became really nervous and hoped the car was what I'd expected. Jeff was right about the condition of the car and had probably been over critical in his description of the little flaws than you'd expect in an old car. It was good to go as soon as it was wheeled out of the container and other than burning my arm while fixing a broken sidepipe mount on Saturday, it's been flawless. Even the burn makes me smile, because it's proof that I've actually done something mechanical to the car. You see, I'm generally more inclined to drive cars than maintain them...

Kyle; lots of pitfalls in determining whether a car has sufficient documentation to gain import approval. If you're working with a seller who understands that things can't happen instantly it helps a great deal. I always start by trying to reassure people that I'm not a Nigerian scammer. That's a good start! The logistics of getting it over here are something that I'm pretty comfortable with. I've used Intercity Lines a few times now and they take care of the cars for overland transport. I also deal directly with a customs broker who normally works with companies bringing in dozens of cars, so that has helped with the price and ease of paperwork. This latest container was seized by US Customs and taken offsite for a cavity search (so to speak). Lucky that Jeff didn't throw in any free guns, cocaine or illegal immigrants into the Cobra or I would have been in all sorts of strife... It delayed shipping by a while and cost some more money, but to play you have to pay.

Dick; if your car comes to Queensland you'll be OK. If it goes interstate you may have to settle for a photo of the Opera House in New South Wales as proof that it's arrived. I'm not sure what symbolises Victoria. Mainly B-grade celebrities, sporting stadiums and cafes If it goes to Northern Territory, there will be headlines showing Boxhead being carted off to prison for being caught driving at double the current NT speed limit. Oh yeah, there might be a big red rock in the background...

Sambo; big block and side pipes are OK. No noise testing for the oldies.

Legless; I've already told Dick that his car would be a great addition (and I LOVE the EFI big block in there, the history and patina of the car), but 4 red Cobras in the family would be getting a bit carried away.

As it turned out yesterday at the Cobra breakfast, Dad's Arntz, the Contemporary, Digby's Robnell and Ron's RMC all looked like quadruplets with their ever so slight interpretations on the classic Rangoon Red!
guye and Rog246 like this.

Last edited by 750hp; 10-18-2013 at 04:11 AM..
Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Craig, I have a left hooker cockpit torno (spell) that u or ya dad can have. Will need some mods but its free so may be of some use...maybe.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spook - thanks heaps mate, consider it sold/scrounged! I don't have a cover for mine, so that would be great.
There'd have to be a free breakfast in it if I can convince you to come to Hope Island next time...
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Craig, what a surprise. What a beautiful car.

Just love the Contemporary's, they are a class act.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Spook - thanks heaps mate, consider it sold/scrounged! I don't have a cover for mine, so that would be great.
There'd have to be a free breakfast in it if I can convince you to come to Hope Island next time...
Mate it may not be much chop. It needs some mods but if u can make use if it then thats better than gathering dust in my shed.