Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   End of the line for Holden (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/124514-end-line-holden.html)

sambo 12-10-2013 08:57 PM

End of the line for Holden

I know there are strong arguments for and against propping up the local automotive industry but it's a shame from a historical point of view.

General Motors announces it will close Holden Adelaide operations in 2017 | News.com.au

fordracing65 12-10-2013 09:15 PM

GM sucks anyway...:LOL:

Gav 12-10-2013 09:26 PM

Very disappointing news Sambo.

Even a half intelligent Ford fan would realize that many jobs will go with their closing operations in SA.

darkside 12-10-2013 09:29 PM

how r we gonna keep the dikheads out of fords now...doc

Gav 12-10-2013 09:31 PM

They will be closed before then too Doc.

fordracing65 12-10-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav (Post 1275629)
Very disappointing news Sambo.

Even a half intelligent Ford fan would realize that many jobs will go with their closing operations in SA.

People loose their jobs all the time, half will get other jobs in the same field and the other half will be better off if they are closing. GM was sucking tax dollars anyway, I don't ever want to see people loose their jobs but the way the GM situation was handled in the USA was a joke, no wonder they are out...

Gav 12-10-2013 10:17 PM

The auto industry the world over is propped up with tax payer cash.
One of the reasons is that the auto industry is a huge employer, they are also providers of further education of their employees, which many other industries wind up benefiting from.

I trained with Ford and the opportunities for further training and education where fantastic, it will be a great loss if we loose the Australian car industry.
Asia will be grateful though.

Rick Parker 12-10-2013 10:35 PM

I had read in a trade publication Ford was closing in 2014.

Jethrow 12-10-2013 10:58 PM

Ford is going 2016.

Now Holden 2017.

A sad day for Australia, and for all lovers of V8 RWD sedans. There are now even less choices :(

But lets be clear. The unions, as much as anything else, have killed this industry. They clap and cheer each successful pay rise and penalty condition they coerce out of Holden, never considering the effect of their actions, never offering to endure (or even consider) a small paycut in the lean times, and now look what happens.

A tragedy.

Modena 12-10-2013 11:55 PM

On the positive side, maybe will be able buy a Corvette or Camaro here.

Zedn 12-10-2013 11:59 PM

I doubt we will get the chevs. It'll be the crap from Korea and wherever else they get cheap labour.

Well done unions you bunch of morons. Just can't believe people cough up money to join unions so their money can be blown on corrupt activity and they their employers can no longer afford to operate.

Sad day for Australia and big cross against the liberals in my eyes.

Jethrow 12-11-2013 01:52 AM

Not sure you can pin this on the Libs, the union mess all began with Labor gaining power in 2007. The business has been in trouble for a while now, and I suggest it was destined to go no matter who was sitting in the big chair. Ford had already pulled the pin don't forget either, which weakens everything.

Dimis 12-11-2013 02:23 AM

Unions? Maybe.
Fat cats definitely.

Sad thing is once it goes, it's gone for good.
And that's a skill no country should forgo...
IMHO, it's the beginning of the slow demise or the once clever country, where ingenuity once reigned.

damage 12-11-2013 03:54 AM

If you read the press releases the decision was made in Detroit so really don't think any political persuasion would have saved it regardless if they tipped in the $500 million that labor was going to waste.

The easiest way to have saved the industry would have been to get rid of luxury car tax and then the turnover of new vehicles would have saved them. Tax breaks only work for big companies if they are making money in the first instant, GM was going out the back door $50million a year.

Gaz64 12-11-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modena (Post 1275642)
On the positive side, maybe will be able buy a Corvette or Camaro here.

I work in a Brisbane Holden dealership, and that's what we were talking about today.

tomcat racing 12-11-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jethrow (Post 1275640)
Ford is going 2016.

Now Holden 2017.

A sad day for Australia, and for all lovers of V8 RWD sedans. There are now even less choices :(

But lets be clear. The unions, much more than anything else, have killed this industry. They clap and cheer each succesful pay rise and penalty condition they coerce out of Holden, never considering the effect of their actions, never offering to endure (or even consider) a small paycut in the lean times, and now look what happens.

A tradgedy.

Why dont you learn some facts, before you post up this dribble.

Holden australia have been given 2 billion dollars from the australian taxpayer over the last 12 years, more than any other company in history.
Their workforce has averaged 2500 employees, at i would average out at $65000 year, and thats being generous.

Do the sums, thats a wages bill of 162.5 million a year, multiply that by 12 years totals 1.95 billion, give or take.

So good old GMH have basically had their entire workforce paid for by the australian taxpayer for the last 12 years, and they bleat on about how hard done by they are.

Most of the profits they have made have been sent back to head office, GM USA, to help prop up that bankrupt company and for those bosses to squander by their ineptitude.

Holdens have always been cheaper to manufacture in australia than their opposition, throw in the free wages bill, and they say they cant compete.

I would suffice to say the real story is GM USA has spat the dummy when they have been told their pipeline of free money from me and you is going to be cut off, they have had it too good for too long. GM doesnt give two hoots about Australia.
So lets be clear,
Its got nothing to do with the unions son, but its got everything to do with the mismanagement of GM USA.
I wish i could have had my wages bill paid for all of my employees for the last 12 years by you and other taxpayers.

Jethrow 12-11-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcat racing (Post 1275663)
Why dont you learn some facts, before you post up this dribble.

One always have to grin to see a post that begins like this and then proceeds to state a whole lot of made up "facts".

You want facts? OK.

Right now, the base wage, before any allowances, shift loadings, etc etc stands in the range $60,000 to $80,000. This according to Holden's Enterprise Agreement. And there are many loadings on top of this, such as the very recent "hardship payment" of $3750 which was given to each worker.

The equivalent award wage is in the $37,000 to $42,000 range. So off the bat Holden are paying twice the award. And by the time you do add in all the allowances, the extra leave, etc etc, it is more like three times the award.

And you must consider of course, GM (or any company for that matter) does not have to manufacture in this country. They can go anywhere. So why should they stay here? Or even say manufacture in the USA where they would face similar problems?

Oh yes, that is because the American AUW, wanting to keep the manufacturing in its country, agreed to cut their wages by half. Look it up. 6 years ago they took a positive step to keep the industry going. What did we do here?

All they are arguing about now is the size of the redundancy payments. Way to go lads.

But you were right on some points. Most of the subsidies did go on wages. We agree there. But it did not cover the whole wage bill, mostly went to correct for the amount of overpayment.

And what kind of business case is that? It only works if the government agrees to pay the excess wages, over award, mandated by the unions? It was OK when the unions own party was in power, but now it isn't.

So yes, I am happy to know some facts. I hope you learnt some too.

And I ain't your son.

Towmaster 12-11-2013 05:54 AM

The other small problem is...... No one is buying the f*cken cars they are making!

Everyone is so tight they buy these Korean heaps of sh17e because it's better value for money!

If we bought Australian instead of always searching for the cheapest alternative then yes we might be in a better situation. And the fact the wages are too high.
Unfortunately I can't buy an Australian made vehicle that will tow my trailer. (Kenworth-made in Melbourne doesn't count). My last Australian made vehicle was a VE SS Sportswagon and it was great.... Just can't tow 3 ton with it, so I found out...

damage 12-11-2013 06:02 AM

Seems everyone's in agreement that the unions are the sole root of the problem.

saturnkk 12-11-2013 06:36 AM

All Unions should be immediatley disbanded so we can go back to the good old days of unilateral capatalist rule.

Wait, what?!?