Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By BMK
  • 1 Post By Donunder
  • 2 Post By BMK
  • 2 Post By Donunder
  • 2 Post By darkside

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Question Ford versus Holden

Mmm seems the race is now who will be out of Australia first..

I am wondering now that we don't have an auto industry to protect, if the tariffs on imports will come down and we can pay world wide comparable prices on both Ford or GM cars along with the European vehicles.

Newspapers tell us, it was the unions who put the nail in our auto industry..

When you consider that the average Holden and Ford auto worker - skilled and un skilled - was taking home near $80,000, plus some unrealistic benefits that unions so called "fought to gain" any wonder they collapsed under our labour costs and lack of sales in Australia.

Mmmm an interesting time ahead for us.

I see today that Ford will start selling Mustangs shortly in Australia at a price point under $60,000 for the hamburger with the lot..

Fantastic my grand kids will not have to import classic Mustangs in 30 years..

Anyway so much for - ..."football kangaroos, meat pies and Holden cars.." .. if it wasn't so serious.
Rog246 likes this.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 12-21-2013 at 04:07 AM..
Old 12-21-2013, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
I am wondering now that we don't have an auto industry to protect, if the tariffs on imports will come down and we can pay world wide comparable prices on both Ford or GM cars along with the European vehicles.
Don't be holding your breath on this one Bernie.

Ethically and morally (there are two words politicians have trouble dealing with) following the demise of our local car manufacturing industry there would seem to be no reason to continue imposing protective tariffs on imported cars.

However, once a government has become accustomed to raking in this money from the poor old mug Aussie motorist, there's no way they're going to forego it any time in the future.

Even though they'll be saving $250 million occasionally by not having to keep proppng up a hopelessly inefficient industry, they'll want more. The tariff will simply continue under a different guise. Import duty could easily be raised, ditto for GST, the luxury car tax threshold could be lowered, wharf and customs charges increased etc etc. We'll never be on a parity with Europe or the US on car pricing. We're such a drop in the bucket market for all the major manufacturers, yet I read the other day that there are approximately 360 different variations of models available across all makes of cars in Australia. Ridiculous!

The financial rug should have been pulled out from under Holden long ago. I feel for the workers who now face an uncertain future but from what I read, they have only their Unions to blame for killing the goose that laid large golden eggs for far too long.
BMK likes this.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mmmm yes look at Volvo with its limited assembly line variations.

Must have cost Holden in Australia a bomb to have so many variations on the assembly lines.

Perhaps one size sedan, station wagon, ute etc may have saved them a big dollar.

I ran out of fingers counting the different Holden's customers could buy...

Yes you are probably right on the Tariffs.

Will be interesting to see just what the Mustang importers and conversion companies will do now - their prices of $90,000 plus in Uniqque Cars will not stand up from 2014 onwards..
Old 12-21-2013, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

What I'd now love to see here is what England has done in accepting the registration of left hand drive cars, regardless of age. Imagine how much less expensive it would be if US manufacturers didn't have to commit to a RHD model. It might allow the local sale of cars that otherwise wouldn't be feasible.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ROBNELL
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
What I'd now love to see here is what England has done in accepting the registration of left hand drive cars, regardless of age. Imagine how much less expensive it would be if US manufacturers didn't have to commit to a RHD model. It might allow the local sale of cars that otherwise wouldn't be feasible.
The reason for the LHD allowance is because the UK is part of the EU!

Now if we joined the EU.....

Maxwell.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mmmm ...

It is not rocket science as to why the auto industry is shutting down here.

I just read the Federal Ministers report.

The base salary was over $70,000 for auto workers with base experience.

The benefits gained - rightly or wrongly - for workers and unions were "very very" good.

Paid 5 weeks leave, Rostered days off, Paternity Leave, Special leave, Sick days,Training Days for Union members, Carer leave, Domestic Violence Leave etc etc.

In April this year alone there were two (2) weeks where workers worked four(4) days and two(2) where they only worked three (3) days. Many took additional Rostered Days off over Easter etc that saw Skelton staff and 25% capacity production.

The same over Christmas with Rostered Days used and single day annual leave used for extended time off. Production nearly stops.

Overseas markets are producing 365 days per year around the clock whilst we back in the sun with a beer....

Fundamentally the auto workers I believe have just priced themselves out of a job..

I am not saying the auto industry bosses are free of blame..

I pay my casual staff over $40 per hour on public holidays and casuals $26 per hour on other days.

Plus penalties overnight. I am reading the writing on the wall and feel the food industry and restaurants will soon shut down on weekends - particularly on Sundays and Public holidays. Who can afford in small eateries to pay staff over$50 per hour..

In South Australia both Christmas Eve and New Years Eve are double time from 7pm. Just watch the closures on these nights. Hotels, restaurants will be charging exorbitant pricing for revellers wanting to celebrate!!

Mmmm I am starting to sound too much like a Boss or business owner...

Have a great Christmas.
BJ's Snake and Jethrow like this.

Last edited by BMK; 12-22-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We only hire people on a casual basis these days. No sick leave, no holiday pay etc to worry about.
The last full time employee we had did this to us....

'Underbelly' in explosion bid | Sunshine Coast Daily
Old 12-22-2013, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ash,

That is very scary - Damn how did you use the BBq with no gas..

Yes I have over 300 staff and wonder sometimes why I am their parent, mentor, counsellor and financial backer.

Have a good Christmas.

Last edited by BMK; 12-22-2013 at 09:07 PM..
Old 12-22-2013, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Far be it from me to admit that I fully understand the following course of action but how would the union overlords at Holden have coped with this attitude from their rank and file?

Some years ago a motor magazine journalist was being shown through one of the Toyota assembly plants in Japan when he noticed that a large number of workers were wearing red armbands. He asked why this was so and his guide explained that they were on "strike".

The journo said how come if they're still working? The guide replied that all the workers considered themselves part of a close-knit family within the plant, and solidarity among the workers on the shop floor was paramount. They would never do anything to compromise the smooth running and safety of their workplace, nor disrupt the flow of cars along the line causing them to fail to reach their production target.

They therefore continued to work, but as a protest to management they would not be accepting wages for the period of their strike. This apparently allowed them to retain faith with the other workers by maintaining the plant's throughput, but was seen as a massive insult and affront to management. And no, the journo was assured, management staff were not giggling up their sleeves behind the workers' backs, thinking they were getting a good deal -- all work and no pay. It really was a major embarassment for the managers, in a nation where keeping face is everything.

Meanwhile -- go back three posts and have another read.

The answer, I would suggest, would have lain somewhere between these two extremes -- a little common sense and give and take from both sides. But now it's all too late...
Gav and Wazza like this.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Staff

The Holden pay rates are similar to that of council workers!

RDO's are a thing of the past, carers leave, and all the other leave

With pay are abused this a reason why manufacturing in general

Is going offshore! Unskilled workers are too expensive, I employ

A few wages staff on a Casual basis only, no holidays/sick days

It's too expensive!

I do know a person that works nite/days for the same rate,

Cash only

Stiffy
Old 12-23-2013, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stiffy

Does he or she work in hourly intervals..

.. I bet it's the oldest profession...

It is the direction we will go with shirt term contracts etc on set salaries

Wanted skilled contractor for 180 hours this contract requires a skilled welder at $4000 package. Etc etc.

In fact some teachers are employed from term to term on a set salary and do not get Christmas big breaks etc.

Last edited by BMK; 12-23-2013 at 12:23 AM..
Old 12-23-2013, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Ha Ha I'm in the NSW power industry and the lies the govt has told the public is amazing..
Never mind though we're privatized now...so watch us go the way of Victoria..we have 4 years grace in terms and conditions but the things that aren't in the contract are already gone ! 3 months ! save your candles NSW ! just a little note.... Energy Australia is owned by China Power and Light ! They bought the name !
Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1994 drb sbf c4 9inch
Not Ranked     

hmmm maybe i have come up with what AUSTRALIA now stands for

A-allow
u- us
s- strict
t- trade
r- rules
a- and