Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree299Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

Trust me those flea bitten heads are not going back on that motor.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

You wouldn't have porosity issues with billet...

427 SOHC billet heads
Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

the old heads would make a nice pair of book ends lol
Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig I have seen that article and I have also done further research.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX3021 Keith Craft 428fe
Not Ranked     

Bummer about the motor. I really hope you get it sorted without drama. With the problem your having with a top shelf motor like that, I'm getting a little worried about my new Keith Craft long block I've got sitting in the garage. Things like that just shouldn't bloody happen ...grrrrrr
Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got to see some new Cammer heads today. Much nicer then the others.

Castings and machine work are much better then Coon heads and the guys who make them were happy to part with a set of them so I could fully check them out before I hand over any cash.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage View Post
Got to see some new Cammer heads today. Much nicer then the others.

Castings and machine work are much better then Coon heads and the guys who make them were happy to part with a set of them so I could fully check them out before I hand over any cash.
Well do tell... whose are they?
Where and pics for Rodknock please
RodKnock and renovationinnov like this.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Would you believe right here in Brisbane. Cast here as well and only 5 minutes around the corner from the guy I'm using to do all the machine work.

And sorry I actually forgot to take pics.

I have to go over again tomorrow so I'll take some then.

Have to wait about a month now for some new valves, the valve design that was in the Coon heads was woeful so getting some new ones custom made out of titanium.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Are the intake/exhaust port locations and combustion chamber design consistent across both brands, or is there further reengineering required?

Gotta be happy with a local solution.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

Paul Munro I assume?

Just curious, Damage, but those of us who pay attention to cammers over here in the states have known about him for a long time. Had you never heard of him?
Old 03-10-2015, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by philminotti View Post
Paul Munro I assume?

Just curious, Damage, but those of us who pay attention to cammers over here in the states have known about him for a long time. Had you never heard of him?
Philminotti,

In short yes I have heard of him and was also aware that he is/was able to supply parts. He actually lives in Melbourne which is about 1200 miles away from me.

Given that I was trying to resolve this as a warranty claim with the original supplier I hadn't exactly exhausted other options in regards to alternative parts suppliers.

He was a very hard man to track down with all the contact details that I found ending up being disconnected or dead ends. It wasn't until another friend on the forum told me where he was working that I was able to track him down and even then I couldn't get hold of him until just recently and to be honest it was the gent who I have undertaking my machine work that managed to get hold of him and discuss the in and outs of where to source parts.

The guys that make these heads as I stated previously are located in Brisbane not sure on their connection or arrangement with Paul.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Are the intake/exhaust port locations and combustion chamber design consistent across both brands, or is there further reengineering required?

Gotta be happy with a local solution.
Craig,

In short the whole casting is far superior, ports and shapes are significantly better and will only require deburring and hand smoothing. The combustion chambers are identical with the exception that the spark plug relief area is finished off correctly with nice radius' as opposed to the coon heads that are square sharp edges. Guide areas have a lot more material around them and have nice flow paths etc.

The aluminium that they are cast from visually appears better and no porosity. The cam girdles are more stout and have cross bracing full width of the head. These heads feel about twice the weight of the others so that would give you the idea they have a lot more material in them.

We have some more tests to do but they look good.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Please remember to post some pics of the heads, when you have a chance.

Although I'm no longer considering a Cammer for my car, I'm sure other members here might be curious about the price of the heads and whether the shop making them is geared up to make more.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi All, Just came across this thread as I am a mad as Fe enthusiast and I am the one that machine's these heads for Paul Munro. I did meet you Dave at the all Ford Day at Willowbank at my friends auto blasting stand with the XA ute. I am glad you like the heads and the machining. They are certainly a lot different than the one's from the Us. I am currently in the process of machining some cam gears for Munro's 0.250" roller chains. I will assist you any way I can as I am sure that you will need it with your rebuild. The above picture is the very first prototype. A you can see, there was a bit of core shift with one of the water holes. We adjust for that by measuring each head individually. Cheers, Warren.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2015, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Warren,

Hi mate yes Phil said I had met you before and I remembered the ute with the Cammer so pieced it together quick.

That photo you posted doesn't do your heads any justice the casting you have now is much better.

Looking forward to catching up to look at your other parts.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If anyone is interested i have a full Paul Munro cammer kit, which is heads,rocker covers,timing cover,stubby cam, all gears,2 x 4 inlet manifold,camshafts,rocker shafts,billet rockers,etc.Also a steel 482 stroker crank,carillo conrods,ross pistons,steel billet flywheel and a cammer specific water pump.All brand new never used asking 30K.
Regards
Pete.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig, here's your chance, I can show you how to put it together or you can show me one of the two.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX3021 Keith Craft 428fe
Not Ranked     

Hey Damage, did you find why your timing chain broke?

I finally had my Keith Craft 428 ready to go. Dyno showed it underpowered by about 100hp.
Emails showed a lack of interest from KC.
Found the cam timing was off when it was installed at KC.
And then the timing chain broke at 4,800rpm.
Heads haven't been pulled off yet to check for damage. The oil dipstick shot out like a bullet.
Grrrrr....
Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tengu,

Timing chain broke principally from valve contact with pistons due to cam timing being way off. In some ways this was a blessing in disguise because the heads were cracked from substandard port work and then subsequent poor welding to repair the substandard port work, heads were cracked and not worth repair (in my opinion anyway). During the autopsy I also discovered that the timing chain was some cheap arrr's chinese crap, the timing chain roller thickness varied anywhere up to 5 thou and the rollers themselves had seam lines in them so were out of round and well no words to describe the quality, the pistons were hanging out of the sleeves about 450 thou past the reference point and a bunch of other issues that should have been attended to in the build process.

The lack of interest from Keith Craft doesn't come as a surprise, after 20 something odd emails (I havent bothered to count so may be off) this led me to posting on the forum to finally get some sort of lack lustre response that ultimately led to no help. I pretty much think Keith Craft is more then happy to pack up Friday engines and send them overseas and then thumb his nose when sh*t happens.

Sorry that you've been subjected to the same crap I had to deal with including bogus dyno sheets.

Moral of the story is buy local and save the heart ache I'm sure there are plenty of honest engine builders States wise but not worth the gamble.
boxhead likes this.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

there is no way in the world i would buy a engine out of the states ive heard and seen so many horror storys not just from KC but many other's ,
we have so many talented engine builders here in Australia and with the dollar been what it is you may as well spend your money here . engine builders like bill mann and john sydney peter Michaels zoks race engines just to name a few off the top of my head . then there are plenty of smaller engine shops that turn out some killer engines like c&m engines in Adelaide just a one man shop but been in the game a long time and takes pride in his work ..
sorry to see your engine appears to have suffered the same fate as damages engine and hopefully it can be repaired and back in the car .
cheers dean
boxhead likes this.