Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By leroy17
  • 5 Post By Mrs flatchat
  • 1 Post By Rog246
  • 1 Post By spookypt
  • 1 Post By dave295

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How are the freeway/highways in your country for an east to west or n to s run

I'm going to contact a good mate in australia in a few days and without going over transit maps was wondering if an east to west(or west to east) or north to south run possible with the freeways in your country. Or maybe a round about circle run better? Just had an idea but that's all for now. Any retired cannonballers out there? lol

Ciao
Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

I presume that you are from the USA.

I have driven all round your fine country (N to S, W to E, S to N to SW to N).

Anyway, we are no where near as populated as the USA however land mass size is similar (see attached link for map overlay). Our highways are allright in parts however they are no interstates thats for sure.

Provide an idea on what you want to see or experience and I am sure you will get plenty of replies.

Great ocean road would be a suggestion as a starting point.

Australian maps overlay provides idea of how vast this country is.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Very much possible either way: North South, or East West, or to circumnavigate.

Many retired couples towing caravans do it.
You'll experience a wide variety of landscape and some brilliant country side.

It wouldn't be anything like the driving experience you'd get in the US.
Our townships are more sparsely spread, you could drive hours without seeing a one, particularly out west or through the middle.

Enjoy
Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

D'Oh Leroy got me... I type far to slow.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy17 View Post
I presume that you are from the USA.

I have driven all round your fine country (N to S, W to E, S to N to SW to N).

Anyway, we are no where near as populated as the USA however land mass size is similar (see attached link for map overlay). Our highways are allright in parts however they are no interstates thats for sure.

Provide an idea on what you want to see or experience and I am sure you will get plenty of replies.

Great ocean road would be a suggestion as a starting point.

Australian maps overlay provides idea of how vast this country is.
Almost as vast as Texas.
think your neighbors have too many kids.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have driven on many of Australia's National Highways (have not been far north west)
As others have said it is all possible, although if you are wanting to go from say Perth to Brisbane/Surfers Paradise, then there is no direct route.
If you want to see the middle, there are no roads east/west, only north south.
Also traveling in the far north at this time of year there is always the risk of Cyclone and road closures due to floods.
On some stretches of road you can travel 300- 400 miles between fuel stops.
Before deciding, have a real good look at a map, one that shows town locations to see the vast distance between locations.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGEORGE077 View Post
Almost as vast as Texas.
Texas speed limits of 85 is great when travelling. Which is also about the same cruising speed LA to Vegas.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Basic road map of Australia (see link). This is all you should need to get around our little island. Note the vast areas with no roads...... not much to see there.

Note.... purple dotted lines are not roads..... but would make for one hell of a speed test if they were.

Australia Road Maps & National Highways
OZCOBRA likes this.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Smile

A leasurely trip around Australia (back in '95) following highway 1 took 6 weeks, ~15000 klms and about $4000.00aud in fuel.
Our autumn or early spring is the best time for this in these:-
Attached Images

guye, boxhead, Dimis and 2 others like this.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGEORGE077 View Post
Almost as vast as Texas.
Well maybe, but only if you've got a very slow car !!
MRGEORGE077 likes this.

Harrison #100
Old 01-14-2014, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

I can also confirm n-s and e-w are a fun ride. I did Hobart to Perth on an FJ1200, and Hobart to Darwin on a Fireblade, back via the Gold Coast - 11000kms.

But Mrs Flatchat, that is a very cool way to do it! Kudos!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs flatchat View Post
A leasurely trip around Australia (back in '95) following highway 1 took 6 weeks, ~15000 klms and about $4000.00aud in fuel.
Our autumn or early spring is the best time for this in these:-
Old 01-14-2014, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

I drove around the country in '98 and did a total of 63000km. Met a bloke just East of Kunnanurra who was on a bike with a tent. He was doing highway one at more than 1000km per day. He had done it before and reckoned around 12 days was his aim at that stage. Total distance on the blacktop is around 19000km.

Geof
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys....purple dotted lines....too funny. I'm trying in the US to combine 3 elements that might have to be broken into segments for this summer. The last two weeks more or less in August of this year I have penciled in a trip to your country. Basically the location was voted by my security personnel I employ and usually have the same background as myself being USN SEAL's or EOD. So wifes and children of these men will be in the group. Many are going to do their own thing but the guys that have been with me the longest sort of know to follow my lead. Sometimes doors open up for me that are usually closed and I'm always getting into some sort of trouble in a good way.

It's been awhile diving off the reef so some time will be dedicated to water since most are divers. I am actually visiting a friend who was also a friend to my best buddy Cozy Powell. who is no longer alive. I'm going to pull his leg about an Aussie Cannonball and see his reaction. Other than that I have a list of about 20 places or things the guys want to do or see. One wants to go 4-wheel driving out west in the outback near Derby. I might pass on that one...too old for getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. lol

I didn't even think about weather and that should have been first on the list. Is end of Aug a bad time? We usually stay in southern California or Hawaii as I don't like to travel internationally with a large group for safety concerns.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

July to November is a perfect time to visit Queensland.

Two things -- the "westerlies" come through Brisbane in August so it can be a bit blowy.

Secondly, our political masters have decreed that Brisbane would be a lovely place to host the G20 conference. That happens on November 15 and 16, so with 4000 delegates and security staff and another 7000 reporters and assorted hangers-on, it will be a nightmare. Large parts of the city will be in lockdown to try to thwart the inevitable idiot protesters/ vandals, and authorities have warned of month-long disruptions to our otherwise laid back lifestyle.

Sounds like a good month to be out diving on the Barrier Reef!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And if your going to go round do it anticlockwise as you do save fuel with the wind up ya rear heading back East from Perth.

If you surf (as I do) there are waves across the bottom of Oz (Cactus, Ceduna)that will blow your mind. But if u do happen to get nibbled on by the bigger fish....well..to put it simply... ya dead! Waves are worth it though.
Rog246 likes this.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Talking

Nibbled on....yeah right!
You do however, statistically stand a bigger chance getting hit & killed by a car, that being said normal people don't drive their cars in the ocean, and there are more people on the land.
Makes you wonder how it stacks up if they based the stats on people in the ocean............probably a bit like the Little Big Horn thing....Injuns 3, Custer nil
but more likely big fish nibblers 10, swimmers/surfers........swimmers !?? what swimmers !?!

Harrison #100
Old 01-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
And if your going to go round do it anticlockwise as you do save fuel with the wind up ya rear heading back East from Perth.

If you surf (as I do) there are waves across the bottom of Oz (Cactus, Ceduna)that will blow your mind. But if u do happen to get nibbled on by the bigger fish....well..to put it simply... ya dead! Waves are worth it though.
I do remember the 7 feet long potato cod fish in a sanctuary in the reef. Even though I left militry in '88 most of my guys are much younger than I. We have tech that is not available to the public. No worry about sharks, however box jeelies and that small one is another matter.

Some surf and if I was younger I would be one to go off shore pulled by the small water craft into the waves.

Monday is an informal meeting nothing set in stone so if end of May beginning of June I can reverse vacations.

I know there are various climates in your country I always went by the rule of it's winter here in the northeast US it's summer in Australia.

Once again thanks.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans chassis, jag fr. & rear.
Not Ranked     
Default Cannonball run

We, in the Northern Territory of Australia did stage a cannonball run a long time ago. During which a couple of people in a Ferrari went through a check-point (literally) which resulted in two deaths. So the powers that be said no more. At the time there was no speed limit on most of the (North South) Stuart highway in the Territory. Then the limits were to reduced to 110 km/h on the open stretches. Years later they were increased to 130km/h. A trial starts in a couple of months on a 200km section of the Stuart Highway between Alice Springs and Barrow Creek. This section will revert back to an open speed limit. Of course you would need to drive according to road conditions and other road users like road trains, grey nomads, wallaby's, Murdoch lookalikes etc.

Give or take it's about 3000km from Adelaide to Darwin, with Alice Springs being about in the middle of Australia.
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb, 302 Comp cam, Cobra Nationals 2001 and 2002
Not Ranked     

If you in Cairns area give me a call. There are several cobras in the area and would be willing to show you around I am sure