Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Kirkhams in Australia (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/125963-kirkhams-australia.html)

guye 03-03-2014 04:48 AM

Don't like hacking the Kirkham thread, but everyone else started it!

It so happens that I contacted Superformance directly about an Aussie distributor last month.

They don't have one.

I was directed to a very helpful fellow, Scott Brashier, from Hillbank Motorsport in Irvine, CA. I'm sure he won't mind me quoting part of his response here:

Quote:

We can build a Superformance MKIII Right Hand Drive Roller to Australian specification. We would have to ship it from the USA. I am forwarding the order form for the MKIII’s, in which you will see in the additional options section the “Right Hand Drive” and “Australian Spec” options. I have also attached our Virtual Brochure, a sample window sticker for an Aussie Build, A list of the Aussie Build Requirements and, Images of the Right hand Drive Aussie Build. The pricing on the order form would be for the chassis delivered to the USA. Production takes 3-4 months before shipping to the USA.
The body and chassis are made in South Africa, but shipped en masse to the USA for final manufacturing to get to the roller or turnkey-minus.

I haven't challenged him to see if I can 'cut out the middle man' at least in terms of shipping. (To be honest is was all a bit rich for my budget, but if you don't ask, you don't know).

Mark IV 03-03-2014 05:30 AM

We can arrange Superformance direct from SA to Oz shipping, but as it is a one car 20' container vs. the 40' "four in one" that comes to the US, the shipping cost saving is minimal. There are some other cost savings in the US duty, etc. but those same costs will be levied at the Aussie port via the broker. Of course if you buy two or find someone to share the container the cost will go down.

spookypt 03-04-2014 03:50 PM

I also remember when I imported that my agent looked heavily into the opportunity to get some import exemptions based on the Oz/USA Free Trade Agreements which were available at the time.

The problem I found was that a high percentage of the manufacturers product content was not from the USA. With South Africa manufacturing Superformance and Backdraft and Poland with Kirkham that opportunity soon lost its gloss.

damage 03-04-2014 04:56 PM

Just thought I would hijack the thread back on track.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/photo18.jpg[/url]

soulman 03-04-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damage (Post 1289748)
Just thought I would hijack the thread back on track.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/photo18.jpg[/url]

Way cool!

Is that yours?

Soul.

damage 03-04-2014 09:01 PM

Yep thats my baby

dhs.buckley 03-06-2014 06:13 PM

here is another $285k
on carpoint

2008 AC Cobra

http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/ca...Pad&width=1050

Mando 03-06-2014 06:40 PM

I love everything about that car except for the price obviously. :o

Regards.

Aussie Mike 03-06-2014 07:45 PM

I wonder how he justifies such a big price tag? Especially when you can get a new Kirkham built to the same spec for less than half that.

I know the Kirkham is a spot on replica but really?

BJ's Snake 03-06-2014 08:25 PM

Lives in a safe place too by the looks of those bars on the windows and door....

Cheers

soulman 03-06-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhs.buckley (Post 1290052)

My pants just got tight!

Every time I go off painting my car, I see a painted one and the mind starts ticking!
2008 ? I wonder how long it's been in the country?

Soul.

albanycobra 03-07-2014 04:43 AM

i want to see one licensed in WA.......then i can buy one.....

dhs.buckley 03-07-2014 12:25 PM

i see the reg# looks like its historic or club plates,
these things must be growing on trees, starting to make the pythons look rare again :)

750hp 03-13-2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWhite (Post 1283927)
yep count me in

RHD 427 (468 FE)

Currently residing in Utah i believe KMP 762 i think

It always used to be popular/necessary to heat cycle new fibreglass bodies to allow them to settle before doing the body and paint.

Seems like the alloy body for KMP762 is going through a cooling cycle instead!

https://fbcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.ne...55445456_n.jpg

albanycobra 03-21-2014 10:13 PM

i want one so bad...... brushed all over. is it possible just to buy the body chassis only?

Dimis 03-21-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albanycobra (Post 1292068)
i want one so bad...... brushed all over. is it possible just to buy the body chassis only?

I would guess yes.
It has been an option in the past.
Best contact them directly.

JesseJames 09-17-2021 06:48 PM

Looking to get a Kirkham

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulman (Post 1283534)
Guys,

I don't get on this too often , but when I do it seems there is another Kirkham in the country!

Talk about common as $hit!:)

So ,

How many are there here... On the way...

Fully registered ...
Club registered...

Mine has been here on full rego for 6 years now!

How many more ???

Just curious !

Soul.

Room for one more?

Any advice on how to get one in the country with the least amount of cost/hassles?

Is it possible to have a LHD version in Australia?

xb-60 09-19-2021 10:31 PM

Greetings Jesse James.

Firstly, welcome to Club Cobra. Always good to have another Australian onboard.

So, if you want a Kirkham with the "least amount of cost/hassles", did you see post #107 above where a figure of $285k (i'm assuming that's AUD, not USD) is mentioned? That was posted in 2014, so probably not representative of the cost today.

Kirkhams can be registered here in Australia, but it depends very much on which state you live in. I believe the registration situation in NSW would make it a challenge for legal registration of any Cobra replica, but possibly a Club member from NSW might chime in with some relevant comments.

Another thought ..... have you made contact with the NSW Cobra Club? They would be an excellent source of information. The Cobra Nationals are usually held on the October long weekend, but not sure if they are being held this year. If they are being held this year, you can't get any more information in one place about Cobras anywhere in Australia than at the Nationals!

Let us know how your story develops.

Cheers,
Glen (I'm in SA)

kyleb 09-20-2021 02:10 AM

Bernie! Where art thou?

BMK 10-04-2021 02:58 PM

Hi still here 😎