Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Donunder
  • 1 Post By Legless
  • 1 Post By dadndave
  • 1 Post By boxhead
  • 6 Post By Baz
  • 1 Post By damage

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Advice Needed on Available Cars in Australia

H, I'm new to this site and keen to get a Cobra built before too long.

I've done some preliminary research on local and foreign manufacturers. There seem to be some decent manufacturers here but interested in the collective knowledge/wisdom on which ones are best to approach for a turnkey or turnkey minus build.

I would like some advice if anyone has some to give on whether Backdraft, CSX4000/6000 and Superformance Cobra's can be imported to Australia and if so how and what sorts of costs/issues are involved? Is this a cheaper or dearer way to build a quality Cobra for someone without time to do much if any of the build myself? Can they be imported without engines/transmission or must they be a complete build.

if anyone knows of other quality product that can be imported to compare with local manufacturers, I would be interested in that as well.

Really appreciate any advice that anyone can provide on these issues.

Thanks....
Old 02-23-2014, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you don't have much time or inclination to devote to the build yourself, your best bet BY FAR is to get along to the next Sydney Cobra club meeting and have a look at the assembled cars.

There have been some really nice cars completed in recent years and you might just find one that's perfect for you that's on the market right now. A couple were sold here in Qld a little while ago and both of them were sensational cars, and the price was right. Why wait and build, if what you really want to do is drive?
Fender likes this.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Thanks heaps Don for the insight. Most appreciated. Any ideas on how I finf out when the Sydney Club meets?

Cheers........
Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     

Hi Fender,
Welcome; the NSW/Sydney club's site is here Cobra Car Club of NSW : Cobra Car Club of NSW the forum on the site isn't used much except for our spam collection but we meet the first Tuesday of each month at Wentworthville Leauges club, members get there from about 6pm in the bistro area for a meal and chat with the formal meeting kicking off about 7:30pm. What area are you from?
Fender likes this.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Better to go to NSW breakfast to see cars, there's usually a number on hand. I wouldn't park mine at Wentys at night, it's an open carpark.
Fender likes this.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Head on down to Winton Raceway in Victoria late March for ShelbyFest, will give you a chance to see many different and varied cars.
You can watch them around the race track in anger on Saturday (Friday is practice).
There is a thread here if you want to book accommodation etc.
Fender likes this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Hi Fender,

If I were building another Cobra, I wouldn't go past an 'Absolute Pace 427 Cobra.' Check them out on this Forum or google the product. They are first class and as good as any thing coming out of the USA if not better.

Get in touch with the companies owner, Craig White and have him send you some documentation. Better still, get on a plane and fly up to his factory at 23 Demand Ave, Arundel, QLD. Tele (07) 3103-0957.

Baz
Wazza, Towmaster, leroy17 and 3 others like this.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

Kirkham Motorsport easy guys to deal with and awesome product. Super easy to assemble and even easier now as David Kirkham has changed his car to suit most Australian compliance issues. You still have to go through all the hoops but certainly would be a lot easier. Check out their website and go direct.
Fender likes this.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Welcome Fender.

Your question is really open to interpretation...
It's really a matter of what YOU want out of your cobra.

You ask a dozen people and you'll get a dozen different answers.

Any cobra can be registered... Just depends how deep your pockets are to meet engineering. Backdraft and SPF are S.African and have been imported into Aus.
Intact from memory I believe Backdraft are on the REVS list, and there are SPFs getting around in Aus.

So now with that said - What is it you want from your cobra?

The build?
The drive?
The look?
The ownership?
The friendships?
Other?

From there we can better assist you with your research.

Enjoy
Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Damage re the Kirkham. Agree they are an awesome machine. My big question is exactly what/how can you import a road compliant machine to Australia and what does it cost? Is it cost prohibitive for taxes/duties etc v's sourcing in via local agent?

Thanks/cheers.......
Old 02-27-2014, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Boxhead - looks like a good idea will try and get there. Cheers.......
Old 02-27-2014, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Dimis, keen to get a quality product first of all asap to drive. Not so keen on building myself. You say Superformance & Backdraft cars are in Aus - sure would love to speak with someone who has done it to find out how and how practicle cost/taxes/compliance wise as this seems illusive and complicated info to get hold of. Appreciate anything anyone you know who knows this stuff and or has the experience of doing it. Thanks/regards.......
Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Baz, sounds like good advice & will be giving Craig a call. Already noticed his kit on the web and was thinking he was one of the better local options for sure. Rgds....
Old 02-27-2014, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

You can't import them compliant per say but David Kirkham has now made some changes to his cars that certainly make the job easier.

If you want one quick order it as you want then Kirkham will dismantle it and send it as parts, bolting one together doesn't take long.

These cars are built awesome and really are easy to assemble if you are mechanically minded and it's also quite relaxing putting a big jigsaw puzzle together.

Check my build thread KMP 709 if you want to see some pics.

The one thing you can do is pick an engine that is already compliant this takes out some of the hurdles and makes the whole process less scary.

Where are you located.