Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail427 View Post
Hi Aussie, now this is what I wanted from my post, I have asked Craig to fit it to my build and when I get some pictures I will post them, he said that he would try and that it wasn't that difficult and he would put a shroud, and a lip on the bonnet, and as long as it Doesn't splash oil on the windscreen it should be ok, I'll PM my thought's thank you for yours.
The other issue I can see with it is that you will be diverting hot air into your face. I don't know how much you would feel it by the time it gets up and over the wind screen though.

Cheers

Old 04-28-2014, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
CraIg has given me some choices...

First Choice – use factory alloy engine mount plates and use pace Urethane engine mounts and chassis brackets and use the factory exhaust headers with modifications.

Second Choice – custom exhaust headers, custom engine mount plates, urethane engine mounts and chassis brackets
Custom exhaust and custom mounts should look better and perform better, but will add to the cost. A good set of headers can cost from $1000 to $2500 depending on how hard they are to make, what materials are used and if they are coated.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm curious at the choice of the Toyota 4L V8. The Pace is a fairly high end replica so why go for a low end motor. I reckon it will hurt/limit resale down the track.

I'm not against the Lexus, Scotty Hampson has done some amazing things with basically a stock front cut donor motor and a turbo.

The Lexus just seems to be a big lump of a motor and will make installation a bit more complicated. Also pretty much every thing will need to be fabricated where as there is a very healthy aftermarket and factory supply for performance parts for Ford and GM V8 motors.

It's your car so build it how you want it. I was one of the early ones to use a GM LS motor and got some flak from the Ford purists but I did it because I loved the design and engineering of the motor. I'm just curious about the reasons for your decision.

Cheers

Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Paintwerks, thank you for your honest opinion, sorry but English isn't my first language but you at least stopped and smelled the roses, 99% of the world didn't and yes we both have Pace cars so if I can ask you for your thoughts and help I do appreciated it. It wasn't my intention to start my post like I did but it was late at night, I haven't been sleeping well I am recovering from a staph infection in my leg and being late my head wasn't thinking in English it wasn't really thinking, so I am sorry to the Australians I offended I will try to use the Australian spell checker, time permitting, and again thank you for your honesty.
Hail, thanks for your most thoughtful reply. It all makes sense now with English not being your first language. For what it's worth, I didn't intend on coming across as condescending or elitist - and I apologise if that is how it was interpreted (by you or others here).

We're all part of a very small, yet exclusive family. As I mentioned, we're here to help and encourage each other, and that's what I plan to do.

Out of interest, do you have a projected completion date for your Pace?
mate, Towmaster and Tonus72 like this.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

We all know we're you stand on punctuation now Simon !!

Hopefully this guy can spell OK - in Russian anyway...

Vadim Kogay - The race of my life [Monza 2014] - YouTube
Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427CC 3UZ FE V8
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Custom exhaust and custom mounts should look better and perform better, but will add to the cost. A good set of headers can cost from $1000 to $2500 depending on how hard they are to make, what materials are used and if they are coated.
Hi750hp, I can budget exhaust and a few other things but my 2 thoughts were I won't put all my money in one direction then decide on another, also I read and yet to confirm the factory headers were steel so I can have them modified, I have yet to ask Craig if I revers them would that cover the need for custom work
Old 04-29-2014, 12:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
Hail, thanks for your most thoughtful reply. It all makes sense now with English not being your first language. For what it's worth, I didn't intend on coming across as condescending or elitist - and I apologise if that is how it was interpreted (by you or others here).

We're all part of a very small, yet exclusive family. As I mentioned, we're here to help and encourage each other, and that's what I plan to do.

Out of interest, do you have a projected completion date for your Pace?
Paintwerks no worries m8 I'm old and ugly enough to take a joke as I hope you can with me, I honestly didn't know how to start the post and thought to share my thoughts and build was what I wanted and as you said exclusive family we can all enjoy the pace Craig has developed and I thought I was doing him and you guys an injustice by my first remarks, as it was later felt by me that it is just excitement,So no harm no foul and thank's for sharing and caring.

I have changed my thoughts on Craig and the build so many times I didn't want to ask for a date I know and realize he has a business to run, but I am going to the factory tomorrow and we will catch up, the only good thing my leg has given me is time off so I have some time planed there, I haven't told Craig that yet it's a surprise.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
I'm curious at the choice of the Toyota 4L V8. The Pace is a fairly high end replica so why go for a low end motor. I reckon it will hurt/limit resale down the track.

I'm not against the Lexus, Scotty Hampson has done some amazing things with basically a stock front cut donor motor and a turbo.

The Lexus just seems to be a big lump of a motor and will make installation a bit more complicated. Also pretty much every thing will need to be fabricated where as there is a very healthy aftermarket and factory supply for performance parts for Ford and GM V8 motors.

It's your car so build it how you want it. I was one of the early ones to use a GM LS motor and got some flak from the Ford purists but I did it because I loved the design and engineering of the motor. I'm just curious about the reasons for your decision.

Cheers
So many answers I m laughing so much I know I m going to pss someone off.
1. Hi Aussie, my v8 Toyota isn't the Toyota 4L you are thinking of its the next generation after. it's the 4.3L and now they are in full race mode they have a 4.7 and 5L etc ( I think for the Au races) but YOU are going to love this one!
they have a few racing development teams like SVT and the HSV....
the Toyota Racing Development is TRD.. lol I want TRD 427 number plates.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Aussie,
lost your post but, I will proceed,

So many answers I m laughing so much I know I m going to pss someone off.
1. Hi Aussie, my V8 Toyota isn't the Toyota 4L you are thinking of its the next generation after. It's the 4.3L and now they are in full race mode they have a 4.7 and 5L etc ( I think for the Au races) but YOU are going to love this one!
they have a few racing development teams like SVT and the HSV....
the Toyota Racing Development is TRD.. lol I want TRD 427 number plates.

The Lexus at this point in time I think anyway is at the forefront of their next generation engines the ford is in the same bracket but I think reliability in the new ford engines are still a work in progress, Toyota had built at about the same time their new UZ engines but they have produced 3 or more in that series since and now have moved away from the UZ but have kept their development of the 6 bolt main`s and VVTIs and factory superchargers etc, now they are in the next generation engine which I couldn't find (like finding hens teeth) now the Toyota has the UR series engines and they are so new that they have a eletric drive back up!! How good is that. That engine would be awesome but a nightmare to install and make run. BUT!!! And My thoughts CRAIG`S new High end COBRA would be perfect!!!, IM a traditionalist but at the same time a realist times are changing whether I/we like it or not, Craig`s car made me want to get back in to the cobra build as I have seen the future of the cobra the way in the way I think anyway.

Most and certainly Craig has put in his brochures not in so many words but any modern engine!!, now BMW, PORSCHE etc isn't excluded but I`M a realist sparkplugs alone would run the Toyota for a year, and it is I think still at that new and simple stage with a few hiccups at least but IT WILL HAVE TO BE DONE SOONER OR LATER. I still think the more modern engines will evolve the old (which I LOVE) will go extinct at least by the rules of our mighty government and though I hate to say it (environment,) (in saying that I like to use less of something to be able to use it for longer) and the new Toyota ford engines are 4 - 5 liters wow and the DOHC make heaps of power and what you use goes further Win Win, although the Chev is a Great motor its like my 4V, 4bolt main solid hi lift hi compression GT Cleverland, on its way out. Can`t put a GT engine in a cobra my point in view, so why not go the next step.

And your last point I only wanted to start this build because I can at least still build it to my liking and not add the 1,000`s of rules the regulators want in the build! and the compromise I make.! Is to the engine, it isn't the one I wanted so the purists if they can see that I am evolving the cobra not trying to make it extinct, and did Carroll Shelby NOT DO THE SAME THING???
Old 04-29-2014, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some Daytonas suffer from heat buildup in the engine bay due to the air being removed after the radiator... It can lead to overheating issues. Just my 20c worth.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmaster View Post
Some Daytonas suffer from heat buildup in the engine bay due to the air being removed after the radiator... It can lead to overheating issues. Just my 20c worth.
Hi towmaster, I have to check flow rate, Some ribbons taped down might give me my low and high spots, I can't remember who said as long as it doesn't splash oil on windscreen. But the overheating due to the high flow rate and oil or water for that mater, and it was mentioned earlier that the hot air flow would be directed to the cabin, I hope and have not seen Craig's design as yet, but I hope there is a front lip going up on the outer edge of the bonnet and the radiator shrouds, both combined would stop air rushing too fast and causing problems, that's the kind of thoughts I would hope the forum would help solve.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsear View Post
Hail,
If you asking for a durable and inexpensive carpet that will get wet then try a marine store such as bias boating. I would be surprised if a factory cobra had carpet. Also a car upholstery person may need to be consulted as trimming and finishing carpet edges neatly is a skill.
Regards, Pigsear.
Hi pigsear, you are right the carpet will need trimming and I don't know
If anyone has tried but also put Velcro on the carpet and the body areas around footwells Back cabin/boot wall and center hump, just so the carpet can be removed for cleaning and it would be easy to remove and replace worn or damaged carpet that's why I didn't want it to be to pricy but put in the right locations it would cover most areas, I can see the only problem would be due to heat? Any thoughts or comments.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Save the big $$$ you spend on re inventing the Cobra bonnet and engage the services of an upholsterer.... You will thank me in the long run.
Wazza and Tonus72 like this.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by guye View Post
Nice idea Hail. I ride a motorbike and admit I appreciate these as they are more visible usually. Plus you don't cut the body. But this might be a challenge as the trad raydot side mirrors are pretty small; don't know if there's room for lighting. But maybe with LEDs these day?

Anyway, thumbs up idea - I like it!
Hi guye, I also ride a motorbike and the idea behind the side indicators was brilliant , like you it helps in most cases judging what the motorist is doing,

And I had two thoughts a LED would be small enough to fit in the mirror and with the right design would look like the more modern types

Also being a motorbike rider there are some very stylish bike indicator designs
Ducati I have seen and I even think the BMW is attached to the mirror anyway

Any advice comments my first try would be to attach the thin motorbike (has anyone seen the thin )(type) to the windscreen attachment for the wind wings.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Also being a motorbike rider there are some very stylish bike indicator designs
Ducati I have seen and I even think the BMW is attached to the mirror anyway
My Triumph Sprint 1050 has indicators in the mirrors too. Just sayin'...
Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I like Bacon.
guye and Towmaster like this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, So your a Lexus/Toyota fan. That's as good a reason as any.

Don't dismiss that old tech so quickly. GM built a quad cam 32 valve V8 with input from Lotus. It was looking like being the replacement for the old Gen 2 small block and was used in the Corvette for a while. They went back to the drawing board and settled on a push rod wedge cylinder head design for the Gen 3 and Gen 4. No plans to change either as the design works incredibly well. The design of their wedge cylinder heads is very efficient.
BMK likes this.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

HAIL, Welcome and congrats...
I hope your pace comes together as quickly and as nicely as possible for you.

For some silly reason I thought DAMAGE might have posted a response...
Sorry, I know bad joke... But with winter approaching I thought you might forgive me for going there... Also you must excuse me, English isn't my first language either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
They went back to the drawing board and settled on a push rod wedge cylinder head design for the Gen 3 and Gen 4. No plans to change either as the design works incredibly well.
I wonder which 50yr old engine inspired this design set up for GM
Any thoughts? Probably a FEntastic piece to put in a cobra no doubt
750hp likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

Oh Dimis,

Is that a poor attempt of humour, as in "Hail" "Damage" or am I ABSOLUTELY off the PACE.
750hp, boxhead, Wazza and 6 others like this.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

I was thinking the comedy route Hale and Pace... :-)
750hp, Tonus72 and Laner like this.