Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Donunder
  • 1 Post By just dreamin

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     
Default LED headlamps E-marked

These 7" LED headlamps look interesting, maybe an option for Cobra builders who are going for a non-traditional look? Kind of pricey though.

"Drop in replacement for any standard 7in Round H4 halogen headlamp"

LED 'STEALTH' Headlamp 7" - Car Builder Solutions
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sambo apart from the cost of these headlamps, I think that in Qld at least, you'd need to be budgeting a similar amount for when Plod pulls you over for a roadside check.

As I see it, it all hinges on what is considered "after-market".

Recently a purge on ricer cars south of Brisbane resulted in many being done for after market LED head and tail lights. With our cars however I'm not sure what would constitute "after-market" seeing that to have an after market it would seem to follow that you would first have to have a "market".

As our cars are built from scratch to satisfy our own particular desires -- within the ADR specs of course -- does the fitment of LEDs right from the start mean that for that owner's particular new car, they are the original (similar to OEM) lights, and as such cannot be considered an upgrade or after-market installation? It's not like we're discarding some factory-installed tail-light cluster in favour of "new" LEDs is it?

The RACQ has stated unequivocally that LED upgrade headlights are out. The worry is that backyard guys will fit them incorrectly and that there is the possibility of their being misaligned, they can "flare" into oncoming drivers' eyes, and of course in a totally bodge job they can just fail altogether. There was no such clear cut refusal to accept LED tail lights and the inference there is that the question would be left up to the Plod concerned -- great! another grey area, just what we need.

From all this, I'd say that if you're keen on LED tail lights in Qld, then go for it but practice your "being nice to the officer" smile in case you need it some time, but new LED head lights could definitely end up causing you grief.
Rog246 likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don, I think it all comes back to the ADR for headlights. I haven't read the ADR in detail but it must allow for LEDs, provided they satisfy all rules. The new Audi S3 for instance has LED headlights so there's nothing wrong with the technology if implemented properly.

I'm tipping the ricers in QLD didn't have engineering approval for non-factory headlights, and didn't care to align them properly. Pretty dangerous if you ask me.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a link on the RACQ site explaining their stance - basically they're not aware of any aftermarket LED kits being tested and certified to ADR46, so they're out.

Headlights | Motoring | RACQ
Old 04-29-2014, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

E 13 marking would make them legal in Oz as per ADR requirements.
Rog246 likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you'll find that LED headlamps also require headlamp washers and the ability to dip the headlights from in the cabin. All factory cars sold here require those two items and our Discovery with HID lamps has them.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Well it will be interesting when I finally get my car finished, and pulled over by the plod. Which no doubt at some stage I will-me being me & all. I would most likely suggest that the engineering of the vehice would be way past his expertise etc ( but with a smile on my dial ) and watch for the reaction.
I am considering LED lighting all around, but doing in consult with my engineer as well.
I think the ICV thing is not that well understood by many outside groups, we of course have to live with it and are much more knowledgeable about it all.

Harrison #100
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Re headlight washers - my Aurion has headlamp washers, but the lights are Xenon. I think it is because they get hot (?), no idea though really.

LED do not get hot from my understanding - and the LED driving lights you can get now do not have washers.

I am only guessing though...

Tony