Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Component Cars
  • 3 Post By spookypt
  • 1 Post By Dimis
  • 1 Post By deano59
  • 1 Post By damage

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Turnkey & Turnkey Minus Pricing

Firstly, If I'm out of line anywhere here I apologise in advance but just trying to research a theory.
Was hoping to get a bit of a guide from you guys on what you feel a good value price is for turn key & turn key minus cars?
I must admit with the cost of labour in our country I dont know how AP is able to offer their quality of kit for the price they do but I'm just talking about an average nicely finished Cobra.
From my research it seems most kit suppliers are looking for upward of $125k for a complete turn key car, that's with something like a Coyote. Am I close on this?
But are they actually selling many?
When I see cars on carsales over $100k they seem to take a while to sell. We sold a couple of cars with pretty high end donks but they seem to top out at $100k or did we sell them too cheap?
I'm talking just a nicely finished Cobra but brand new with a Coyote or an efi 331 or similar, complete ready for rego.
Where do you guys feel turn key minus needs to be priced at? I'm talking painted, wheels & tyres just requiring engine transmission but with as many ADR compliant issues resolved as possible?
Do you think there is a market for this type of option or are we all really in it for the fun of the build?

Again I apologise if this breach's any of the forum guidelines and if so could someone let me know and I'll take it down.
Cheers for any feedback.
d488y2 likes this.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Chris, it's nice to see you've popped back. I can't really help you much with your question suffice to say if people see value, quality and service they will pay. And that can be different things to different people. There's different types of buyers too, like people who want to build and fabricate, or more makano style or simply turn key drive away.

It would be awesome to know more about your product and the improvements and developments you and FFR are taking.

Great to see you posting a few things and I'm sure people will be gracious and balanced in seeing and hearing about your FFR offerings.

It can be a great forum!!!

Spookypt
Chris L, dc7531 and d488y2 like this.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Not out of line at all.

I wonder if the sort of person who'd be prepared to spend triple digits on a Cobra would be the sort of person who would want a car built to their unique specs. As such, is there any such thing as a standard turn-key car, and if so wouldn't it just be a basic sum of parts prices plus profit margin plus in-house and outsourced labour?

Whenever I'm looking at prices, I always like to see what a basic no-frills cost would be, with the ability to then add all the fruit on top. Higher spec engine, exchange vinyl for leather, pin drives over bolt-ons, Avons over BFG etc etc
Old 05-25-2014, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the opportunity to respond.

Seeing as an FFR kit cost $20k usd, I'm pretty sure you'll find a small market who would fork out $100k for the equivalent one completed here. Sorry.

People are happy to pay the middle man who "value adds", but I hasten to say they wouldn't take kindly if they are paying excessively more than what the equivalent car costs in the US.

It's a tough sell you have to be asking even close to $100k.

Best of luck with it either way.
BJ's Snake likes this.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Snake Pit DRB 302W
Not Ranked     

Hi guys, although I've been reading threads for a while this is my first post. To give the "readers digest" version I've loved the cobra since childhood and now may actually be able to fulfill the dream. That being said, I cannot and could never afford a full turnkey cobra nor am I mechanically savvy, and I'm sure there would be plenty of blokes in the same boat. Maybe if there was a package that was built to a stage that was affordable, easy to comply and could be completed by mechanical Nuffy's like myself? I'm sure there's a market for it, actually I'm positive. Maybe something to look at rather than just saying here's the price for the guys that can build from scratch, and here's one for the guys that need us to do the lot. Maybe something in the middle rather than either end of the spectrum?
Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

hi marlox
for people such as yourselfs I honestly believe your better off buying one where someone else has done the hard work and spent the money .
I built one from scratch about 14 yrs ago I consider myself mechanical savy been a mechanic but I was clueless on many aspects of putting the kit together. I have built and still are building race cars from scratch for many forms of motorsport from speedway too hill climbs .

im in the market again right now for a cobra and have decided to buy one already done ive fig it's much easier to get it retrimmed or repainted than build a whole new car .

however saying that the kits out on the market today are light yrs away from what I bought back then .
cheers dean
mate likes this.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

I'll bite

20k US for a kit
10k to get it here
10k to put it together
8k for paint
3k for wheels and tyres

51k for a roller painted and ready for rego.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Not Ranked     

I've just been thru the first stage and I believe that catering to both parties would be the way to go Chris, I could of gone for the whole turn key scenario but that's not my cup of tea as I wanted the satisfaction of knowing it is my blood sweat and beers that has put this project together hey but that's just my opinion, by the way thanks again for your service and time over the last month or two.

Cheers Psycho
Old 05-26-2014, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the comments guys, its just a theory at the moment and gee I wish I could buy the kit for $20k. Oh the good old days when it was 1:1 will they ever return??
I guess when you add the conversion rates, GST and the f/up factor I reckon were headed north of $60k before there is a dollar in it.
How's that saying go.... if it walks like a duck.........
Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

Was just reading your specifications and your kit seems to include a lot more then others in every respect.

Your kit price appears to be a hell of a lot cheaper then the AP complete kit so maybe you need to have the options of not including as much or perhaps selling your kit in kit stages if it is that you are looking to compete.

Your web site is informative and has pictures of complete cars.

I guess all you need is a pricing list of various stages of completion and you will open up some new markets.
Marlox likes this.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Build a turn key minus and see if it sells, easy way to test Market.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: