Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     
Default rmc torsional and beaming test

hi all
ive been looking at a rmc cobra in nsw and the owner has sent me there engineers reports he has but there is no torsional and beaming test with it . I was just wondering if any rmc owners have a copy that may have been supplied from the company at the time they bought there car .
getting a copy of them would help my cause in trying to get approval for rego in sa . if not I will keep looking for another car .
cheers dean
Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

How about this one, it's red and it's in your price range and the build plate is low volume rather then ICV.

1995 AC Cobra Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia

Oh and closer.

And red
Old 06-27-2014, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage View Post
How about this one, it's red and it's in your price range and the build plate is low volume rather then ICV.

1995 AC Cobra Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia

Oh and closer.

And red
thanks damage
yeah ive seen that one and from I understand there a torana based cobra a drb under a different name if im not wrong ?

cheers dean
Old 06-27-2014, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No idea mate just figured it would be easier then what you seem to have to deal with chasing the whole deal with a recompliance.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage View Post
No idea mate just figured it would be easier then what you seem to have to deal with chasing the whole deal with a recompliance.
I appreciate the heads up :-)
something will turn up sooner or later and in the meantime the money will be earning interest in the bank lol .

cheers dean
Old 06-27-2014, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What about the yellow one in QLD it's $7,000 cheaper to start
Old 06-27-2014, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Just ask RMC for a copy of the report? if that is the only reason for not buying the car.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanycobra View Post
Just ask RMC for a copy of the report? if that is the only reason for not buying the car.
didn't think they was still in business ? the car in question if I can get a copy of the test I can then give the rest of the report I have from the owner to our road transport to look over they then tell me if there is enough info supplied to take it further . the only other way is to get the whole thing re engineered at around 4g that I would rather avoid if I could .

cheers dean
Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default RMC Torsion/Beam testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
didn't think they was still in business ? the car in question if I can get a copy of the test I can then give the rest of the report I have from the owner to our road transport to look over they then tell me if there is enough info supplied to take it further . the only other way is to get the whole thing re engineered at around 4g that I would rather avoid if I could .

cheers dean
Hi Dean,

I built an RMC, starting in 2007. They are still trading as such as far as I know, but are also trading under the name of Westfiled Sports Cars. The address is the same at3/14 Fargo Way, Welsgpool W.A. 6106 and their telephone no. is (08) 9356-1415, Fax (08) 9356-1432. They are on the web at www.westfiled-sportscars.com.au and have an email address at infor@westfiled-sportscars.com.au. The person I had contact with there was Joel Fass.

Unfortunately, the previous owner who arranged the torsion/beam tests is no longer with the Company and Joel had to do a lot of searching to find the information that I required so I could complete the engineering process.

Their Consulting Engineers who performed all the chassis testings etc., were B.C Tonkin & Associates, 55 Queen Street, Adelaide S.A. Telephone 223-5583 and Fax 223-5237. They would probably be your first and best contact to obtain the information that you're after.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Baz
Tonus72 and justcobra like this.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC
Not Ranked     

That's good info Baz. Did you get your reports from the engineer in SA or from the new owmers of RMC. I am about to face the same problem. I have an RMC with the twin side beam chassis. I need reports for torsion. Seat belt mounts. Seats etc. To save having to do it all again.
Sinkers
Old 06-28-2014, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I built a RMC in 2002 and asked Mike Moylan ( the original company owner ) for a beaming and torsion report and was sent one....My engineer looked at it and said it wasnt worth the paper it was printed on....it made no sense and looked like it might have been for another type of vehicle. I'll see if I kept it.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkers46 View Post
That's good info Baz. Did you get your reports from the engineer in SA or from the new owmers of RMC. I am about to face the same problem. I have an RMC with the twin side beam chassis. I need reports for torsion. Seat belt mounts. Seats etc. To save having to do it all again.
Sinkers
Matey,

It came with the body and chassis from the Company. Try the remedy I have suggested previously.

Baz
Old 07-01-2014, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

Try Kim Carter from Southam Automotive Engineering in Perth. He used to be involved with RMC and did many torsion/beaming tests.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrow View Post
Try Kim Carter from Southam Automotive Engineering in Perth. He used to be involved with RMC and did many torsion/beaming tests.
cheers for the heads up :-)
Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deano59,

Did you have any luck ringing B. C. Tonkin and Associates, Consulting Engineers in Adelaide as suggested in my earlier thread on this topic?

Baz
Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

not yet baz been flat out here building race cars ive been putting in 14 to 16 hour days the last week or so but I will get onto it asap
Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company
Not Ranked     

Rmc is about the only cobra which is almost bullet proof and if you can source a series 3 which has the double stacker chassis it would be ideal.
Factory RMC from my understanding should have a chassis number stamped on the rails..
It was unfortunate that I have to construct a hybrid chassis when I bought my RMC project without a chassis but it is challenging.
$4k is very high for the engineering and torsional beam test and you have to work in gold mine to pay these exorbitant costs.
If you can Google torsionial beam test you can first hand what is needed in constructing the test procedure
I have sold a S3 Jag rear end to a cc forum member and I believe they are going to build a test rig to carry out that procedure.
I think that there is enough past information on this topic for your perusal on this forum.
Borrowing someone elses report would be helpful.
deano59 likes this.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default RMC Chassis

I totally agree with justcobra about the RMC being bullet proof. I could have picked any build available, but chose RMC because of the strength and construction of the chassis. It offered far more protection for the driver's capsule than the majority of other kits available. It is heavier than most, but as I didn't build it for the track, weight didn't figure in my calculations. I just wanted a nice, solid cruiser. I have found some pics of my chassis proir to construction.

When I received my body and chassis from RMC, I needed to know that everything was exactly square before beginning the construction. The body was removed and the chassis measured by laser. This identified that a few minor adjustments to the chassis alignment were required before I had a completely square building template. The chassis was then powder coated before the assembly process commenced.

Last edited by Baz; 07-06-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks baz for the compliments and the only pic that I did not have was when your chassis was powder coated at Elite.
This photo will be added to my library .
I understand that both yourself and Les ( rebel) went down the path of modifying the top wishbone which was imported from the States directly from Factory Five and that the chassis was modified to accommodate the Corvette engine.
The modification to the top wishbone gave you more adjustment with the lower wishbone remaining stock standard.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks baz for the compliments and the only pic that I did not have was when your chassis was powder coated at Elite.
This photo will be added to my library .
I understand that both yourself and Les ( rebel) went down the path of modifying the top wishbone which was imported from the States directly from Factory Five and that the chassis was modified to accommodate the Corvette engine.
The modification to the top wishbone gave you more adjustment with the lower wishbone remaining stock standard.