Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Custom half shafts for VE diff in Perth

Hi guys, I need to have a pair of custom made half shafts made to suit the VE commodore ZF diff.As you know it is not possible to shorten them. Any body had this done? how much, recommendations of a shop in Perth.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2014, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

On the VZ diff I'm using the CVs are a universal type known as Porsche 930 CV. They are very popular in off-road buggies.

On the Holden they usually have one fixed CV (27 splines), which does not allow lateral movement, and one 'plunge' CV (28 splines) which allows for the differing length require of the axle as it swings through an arc. I can't remember which goes on the inner and which goes on the outer end of the axle. The high performance Holdens have plunge CVs on both ends.

You can buy 28 spline chrome moly axles from the US for around $200 (around double that for 300m) in a range of lengths (be careful as they also do 33 spline axles). In my case I have to buy the shortest ones 15 5/8" and chop 25mm off each end. They come with up to 3" of spline and with the extreme axle swing on off-roaders the CV not only has 'plunge' but they also slide on the splines. For our application you will need to cut two circlip grooves into the spline to lock the CVs into position along the spline.

Here is an example of a supplier:

axles | 930 axles | race axles | racing axle | 934 axles | 300m axles | gun drilled axles | IRS axles | VW axles | racing axles | drive shaft |

Or here:
http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=c13-16-22

Having stated all that I think the VE axles/CVs are the same. The prices I was quoted to have them made here in Oz was $1000.

Last edited by PeterAllen; 08-07-2014 at 07:35 PM..
Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Wink

What Peter Allen says ---
I've had them made by Albins in Ballarat or Geoff at Eurospeed motorsport in Brisbane--he'll do the hollow ones amongst a lot of other tricky race car stuff
Old 08-03-2014, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

pretty sure slider engineering here in sa makes them as well . he used to make our quickchange axles any length with splines each end for our super sedan yrs ago .
Old 08-04-2014, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Not Ranked     

Try these guys their about the best in Perth

http://www.finaldrive.com.au/

Regards Psycho
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Wink

Geoff at "Race Products"

About Us | Race Products
Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

We use custom inner stub axles than can be used to convert the Commodore VE/VF diffs to generic 108mm CV's, which enable the use of standard race axles. You would need to look up what is available for suit the outer, but there will be plenty of off the shelf solutions I expect. Now would be a great time to convert to standard race axles and standard CV's.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just posting this information for any one else using these axles from the VE Commodore. Axles are 32.0 mm (1.180") diameter then step down to 28.5mm, and spline count is 37 at both ends, L/H is 600mm R/H is 566mm. Inner stub is plunging CV and spline count is 32 (fit into ZF diff) Outer stub is fixed CV and spline count is 30 (fit into hub) So it seems that all the race type axles wont fit due to the spline count.
400TT your custom inner stubs sound interesting, what are you using for outer stubs? I am using 30 spline C6 Corvette hubs same spline count/ diameter as VE Commodore 30 spline hubs.