Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Aussie Mike
  • 1 Post By renovationinnov

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2014, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Snake Pit DRB 302W
Not Ranked     
Default Buying guide please ?

Hi guys
Just after a bit of guidance when purchasing a cobra. I've been watching cobras come in to my budget lately and they are usually 10 to 20 years old which is fine, but I'm sure there are things I should be looking for in kit cars of this age.
Now, without trying to start a **** fight between different owners and the kit they chose to build, I'd really like to hear from owners of different makes on what to look for in there chosen cobra both the positives and negatives. Again, I don't want this to turn into a "mines better than yours" talk, but just some honest help and guidance. If it helps, I'm looking at something that can be driven as a daily vehicle, not for racing or car shows etc, and I'm 6'4" so if there are taller drivers I'd really like to hear about your cobra. I'm more than happy to receive private messages if you think your thoughts might fire a few people up.
Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

What's your price range?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ha ha, as little as possible! Gav I've seen a few come and go around the 40 to 55k mark. I know the old saying you get what you pay for, but for me to be able to own one less is best. I've even seen some in the 30's that require some finishing to get on the road.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

You will find a nice car for that kind of money, sorting a nice one from a roughy takes some work though.
Good luck with your search.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Gav, and thats why I'm seeking as many tips or help I can get from peple on this forum. The wealth of information on this site from guys that have built, bought or have done both and know these cars inside out invaluable.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I don't think you will offend people with your question. I think most people will push the kit they bought for the reasons they bought it. However I think most of us are mature enough to see and apreciate the good features in other kit manufacturers.

Part of the decision has to be for you to prioritize what you want out of the car. Building your own car means you can build in what you want. Buying someone elses built car means you will probably have to compromise on what you want unless you meet someone who has built your ideal.

So you want a driver car and not a show car or race car.
Do you want something that looks original or with more modern styling i.e paint schemes, wheel choice, interior etc?

You are a taller driver so that might rule out some choices. Many Cobras have a cramped driving position. You may want to look at some of the extended wheel base options out there. Some manufactures build a 92" or 94" wheelbase version.

Many cars interiors could be reworked to give more room. Different seats, dropped foot boxes etc. I'm a taller driver myself @6'1" Legroom wasn't so much of a problem but I have a long torso which sits me high in most Cobras with a view looking at the top of the windshield frame. Lowered seats leaning back a little more got me into a good position in my 90" wheel base car.

Get along to a club meeting and look at the cars and talk to owners. Most will probably let you try them for size.

Cheers
07cob and Rog246 like this.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike, getting to a club meeting is something i want to do but the closest I know of is 600km south of me. I'm hoping to get to one in dec or jan while visiting family in brissy. I 100% agree that building is the best way to achieve what I want, but I kinda suck at that and can't afford to have one built for me. As the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers
Old 09-30-2014, 01:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum Marlox...

Take a note of my email address, and when you are coming down from "Happyknackers" send me an e-mail, and I'll make sure you get details of our club meeting.
warrenboylan427@gmail.com

Cheers,

Warren Boylan,
Club Pres.,
Cobra Car Club of Qld.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Warren, much appreciated.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

marlox
sent me your email address as there are a few people I know,, up that way in the middle of builds in Gladstone you could talk face to face with
rob
Marlox likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: