Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-11-2014, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: PACE427 under construction
Not Ranked     
Default Ford ECU

I bought a reconditioned 351W for my new AP 427 build through Eagle Auto Spares.

Ive bought the '95 Ford Lightning setup with tubular upper intake and GT40 lower intake to replicate the '95 EFI engine and pass rego in QLD.

I need an ECU. Im told I need a A9L EEC IV.

Can anyone advise where I can find up? Anyone making new components or do I need to buy an original part?

Would appreciate any help - thanks..
Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

The A9L EEC IV came in Mustang GT 5.0 ltr manual transmission cars from 1989 to 1993 inclusive. I don't always trust my memory. I'm 99.9% sure the 1989 is correct and 100% sure the 1993 is correct.

They are getting harder to find in salvage yards. You can buy re manufactured units at auto parts stores in the USA. I have read on the net that they are not always the correct program in them, but I do not know that to be true. The original units over 21 years old now. Moates.net recommends replacing the capacitors in them, now before one fails and ruins it.

Moates.net sells a Quaterhoarse chip and software that will let you tune until you heart is content. Assuming your engine has the same sized injectors and mass flow meter as the mustang computer expects, it will run ok, but it really should know about the extra 49 cubic inches. It calculates load based on engine displacement and air flow, then chooses the correct timing. It will think the load is higher than it really is and run the timing a bit retarded. It will hurt the MPG and power a little. Or you can take it to a tuner and let them chip it for about the same money.

I know there are people using the newer computers. Some like them better, however I do not know what they do to keep from tripping the engine light without all the newer stuff on the engine. You may want to ask around about that option.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Doc
I am running the same engine set up
I know diddly squat about this stuff....
Ended up buying an upper intake, ECU and complete engine wiring loom out of a 95
5.0 mustang cobra, everything plugs in without mods.
My research tells me although not ideal it will run well with this set up.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2014, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans chassis, jag fr. & rear.
Not Ranked     

I've got a EB V8 out in the paddock. It's an EEC IV. Although it's a 5.0l I've been told it"s a H.O. motor. Same as a US Mustang.
I've also got a 1990 F-250 that runs with an EEC IV unit. It is a 351W.
Maybe you could source a ecu out of that kind of vehicle and have a play.
In addition I've got a BA 6cyl. wreck that someone put gas on. It has an electronic control unit (aftermarket) that states it is for a 4-6-8 cyl. motor.
It might follow that when the ecu fires it doesn't know the difference between 6 and 8 cylinders. Try a 6 cyl. ecu out of a EB-D. I know that the engine sensors I have changed on the F truck are the same as the EB 6 cylinder engine.
I'm not saying it would be perfect, but you might get the bastard to start.

Dave
Old 11-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I use a A9L EEC IV in my stroked 354 with a SCT chip. The only thing stock about my motor is the block.

If you use stock parts the EEC IV it will work but when you start changing thing then you need a chip and dyno time.

Dwight
Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

post a Want To Buy ad on FFCars site.
Most of the older members used A9L in their builds.
Now they are installing Ford Modular Engines.
Our 5.0 motors are at least 20 years old. Grandpas in the car world.

Dwight

FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

Microsquirt 329.00 Bux eBay..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Megasquirt-M...4507c5&vxp=mtr

Completely programmable with a lap top.

Everything you need to know.
http://sloppymechanics.freeforums.ne...spark-lsx-swap

Last edited by map; 11-11-2014 at 07:06 PM..
Old 11-12-2014, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
I bought a reconditioned 351W for my new AP 427 build through Eagle Auto Spares.

Ive bought the '95 Ford Lightning setup with tubular upper intake and GT40 lower intake to replicate the '95 EFI engine and pass rego in QLD.

Can anyone advise where I can find up? Anyone making new components or do I need to buy an original part?

Doc,

Check out this unit. It is built by the same people that build Ford's race units. It looks like it uses the Ford tuning s/w. It is self learning, expects none of the EPA mandated crap and comes with a very complete PC based tuning package if you want to try your hand. It has data logging capabilities for all tunable parameters. Importantly, it is not necessary to try your hand tuning it, it will do a very credible job in its own auto learn mode.

Here is the link => Pro-M Engine Management

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:

You might want to check hood clearance before you go any further. The Lightning intake is really tall.

If you use a A9L you will also need a Mustang engine harness and a mass airflow sensor. The Lightning harness is not the same. Mustang used sequential port injection and was a mass airflow system. Lightning was bank injection, speed density.

Pete
Old 11-12-2014, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Doc,

Check out this unit. It is built by the same people that build Ford's race units. It looks like it uses the Ford tuning s/w. It is self learning, expects none of the EPA mandated crap and comes with a very complete PC based tuning package if you want to try your hand. It has data logging capabilities for all tunable parameters. Importantly, it is not necessary to try your hand tuning it, it will do a very credible job in its own auto learn mode.

Here is the link => Pro-M Engine Management
I would like to have this ECU, but I already had a working A9L EEC IV. If starting from scratch I would give this a strong look, as it comes with the harness. In my case, I would have had to toss out my existing harness and some sensors and buy new, so it didn't make sense. Had I not already had the investment in those parts, I would have bought this.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

For our American friends..... In Some states in Australia you must run a factory engine and computer to meet emissions requirements and get the car registered..... you are not allowed to run aftermarket computers.

Just get the shell of an A9L and insert an Autronic inside it.......
Just saying.....
Old 11-13-2014, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: PACE427 under construction
Not Ranked     

Thanks to everyone for the advice

These 20y old parts are getting harder to find. Not to mention expensive.

It would have been cheaper to go with a coyote but I love the look and sound of the old windsors.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: