Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2014, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 5.4 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default Steering Column help please :(

Hi gents,

I am getting close on completing my DRB build, but one thing that remains a thorn in my side, and that is the recommended steering column.

Currently supplied is a Ford BA steering wheel and top column with key ignition. The plastic cowl, wheel etc are all massive and completely out of sync with a period correct look.

I have found the SAAS wooden steering wheel that is 100% ADR approved, but trying to find a replacement top column to marry up with what I currently have going out of the firewall (that will pass inspection) is proving a nightmare.

Have looked at Flaming River, but these columns are not collapsible which I think will be an issue.

Does anybody have any experience, advise they could possibly provide?

Cheers
Kizza
Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb, 302 Comp cam, Cobra Nationals 2001 and 2002
Not Ranked     

What year Drb is it? Mine has a LC torana column with a monolita wooden steering wheel.
Might depend on year of kit though, as mine was built 2000
Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Its a 2007 I think - called the 'boss cobra' and has the bigger 290 engine.

I think this is part the issue, in order to fit in the donk (VERY tight squeeze) they have the steering column going through one of the chassis members to keep it out of the way.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kizza, I've never really worked out whether DRB is still going or not but taken from their "still active" webpage is this...

Early in 2006, the DRB Cobra was modified to have a wider engine bay. This version is called the DRB Boss Cobra. The widened engine bay can now accommodate the Ford Boss 5.4 litre Quad Cam range of high performance motors that are fitted to BA/BF/FG XR8’s, GT’s & GTP’s (2003 to 2010) comply with the exhaust emission requirements in all States of Australia, or the new Coyote 5.0L powerplant with or without Supercharger.

The DRB BOSS COBRA is fitted with the same Shelby 427 Cobra replica wide body that is fitted to a new chassis that uses Jaguar XJ6 Series 3 suspension and brakes. The BA/BF/FG Boss 5.4 litre, 260, 290 or 315 kW V8 motor with 5 or 6 speed Tiptronic or manual gearbox can be used together with the BA/BF/FG Computer, wiring harness and sensors, steering column, brake booster, Master cylinders & Accelerator pedal. The ABS control unit can also be fitted and toothed wheels can be supplied for the hubs to provide ABS brakes if required.

If you run a steering boss from your B series column wont that get you where you want to go with the SAAS?

Spookypt

Last edited by spookypt; 11-16-2014 at 07:23 PM..
Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I remember Graeme Akers car (Orange Boss) had a lovely interior with a Motolita type wheel set up. Get in touch with Wazza and he may be able to give you Graeme's number and he can tell you what he did to get his all nice and periodish.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty sure this is GA's car. From memory he had a different wheel at the 07 Nats but its too long ago now to remember exactly.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizza501 View Post
Have looked at Flaming River, but these columns are not collapsible which I think will be an issue.
FR does have a good selection of collapsable steering columns.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 11-16-2014, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys,
Spooky - Hi mate, that is all correct and they are still running, speak to them a bit. If I run with the BA top section column I will pass, but the dash will need a huge hole in it, and I hate the plastic cowl which is massive. Just want old school plain, simple single stalk etc.

Bob - I actually went and saw some 'steering experts' on Friday who retail flaming river. This issue as I understand it is ,the FULL length columns are collapsible, but not the top section which is all I want to replace. If I try to replace the whole lot I think I will run into trouble - as explained the column has a number of joints that end up aligning it specifically to thread through a chassis member and avoid the engine bay area as best as possible. I think the flaming river full length will not fit
Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Name:  shaft to steering rack in engine bay.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  43.8 KB
Old 11-17-2014, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default Collapsible "Telescopic" column is possible

I will refer you to "Borgeson" for components which they offer. Most of the components on the market are from them as OEM. They make anything steering related.

Quoted from the web site. Borgeson Universal Steering Components 24" Extended Length Part #: 450024
"Borgeson offers telescoping shaft assemblies in 24” and 36” overall lengths. These shafts can be used in a variety of applications and make installation and removal of steering system components simple and easy. The telescopic action also acts as a collapsible shaft offering an added measure of safety. One end of the assembly is a 3/4”DD shaft and the other end is a 1”DD tube. The assembly can be trimmed to fit shorter applications. Telescoping shafts are available in steel only."

Last edited by Xack; 11-17-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks xack, I will email them today!