Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2014, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb, 302 Comp cam, Cobra Nationals 2001 and 2002
Not Ranked     
Default Time to change Tyres

Sick of sliding around corners and thats in the dry. Tyres have still plenty tread but getting hard, so it seems time to change tyres. At the moment I am running Yokohama 352's....225/60r15 on front and 245/60r15 on rear. They Haven't been available for a while and the only tyres I can find with matching sizes are Bf Goodrich Ta's. I don't want to use these unless last resort. Have seen Mickey Thompson Sportsmans St in a 215/70r15 for front and 295/50r15 for rear. Still checking if the 295's will fit in rear guards? From the sizes on info they might be just the thing. Seem to have good reviews and if Craig offers them on the Pace cars, they can't be too bad. Was checking prices in the States and are much cheaper but after you add postage.... Its cheaper to purchase locally.
The Sportsmans sizes only vary less than an inch, front 215/70r15 dia at 26.7 inch and the 295/50r15 dia at 26.8 inch. Whats every ones ideas on the size change?
And by the way.... A Merry Christmas and a cobra filled New Year to all

Ian
Old 12-25-2014, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Cooper Cobra might be another option. They have a bunch of 15" sizes. Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Cobra Radial G/T™

My local tyre shop has them.

Cheers

Old 12-25-2014, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks mike. I have looked at the Cooper Cobras and they are a good alternative. I'm still to check out local tyre suppliers and what tyre they can get locally. Website I was looking at the Mickey Thompsons offered shipping for $80 from down south which seems reasonable
Old 12-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure about the Cooper Cobras

the ads say they last a long time "50,000 Mile Treadwear Protection"

and "... the Cobra G/T is especially popular with drivers of older domestic [US] “muscle cars” who still want to retain the characteristic “look” of their vehicles.

this means they last a long time on cars much larger and heavier than a cobra - to me this means they're probably going to be a lot harder than a cobra driver would want.
The UTQG of 440 is also a bit of an indicator that the company thinks this is a very durable tyre.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought it had come down to a pretty straightforward choice of three:

1) If money is no object and you want simply the best -- Avon CR6ZZ.

2) If you want good all round middle of the road tyres --Mickey Thompson ST (or SR if you're into a more aggressive pattern).

3) If you're more hardcore (and please let's not get into another argument about insurance companies, legality, difficulties in balancing yada yada yada .... ) but if you are more hardcore and you want the all-time best looking tyre for a Cobra, and you're prepared to live with its foibles and the consequences be damned, then there really is no other choice -- Goodyear Billboards.

Having said all that, my car is running Hankook Ventus H101s simply because they were there when I bought it. They've suited my fairly docile style of driving quite well but they're now becoming difficult to source and I think the MT SRs are a better tyre so they'll be going on when the time comes.
boxhead and FatBoy like this.

Last edited by Donunder; 12-26-2014 at 01:14 PM..
Old 12-26-2014, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

I agree with Dons 1...2...3... as above.

I have read as well that I think that it was the company that makes cooper produces the MT as well (I could be wrong.... just going by memory from past topics read).

Here are a few links that may be of assistance. There are more to read if you search, but this will get you started for alternatives to what you have.

Definately (not maybe?) new 15" tires!! (Mickey Thompson Sportsman "S/T" ) - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

Great Cobra Tires

Mickey Thompson
Old 12-26-2014, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I will go with the Mickey Thompson ST's. The Avon CR6ZZ look great but pointless up in Cairns with no track days. Would look great though. Same with the Goodyear Billboards.....would look great.
Might have to move south

Ian
LoBelly likes this.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

2 questions if I may.

How long before you need them?
And
What was the outcome of the 295 rears?

I might have something for you.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dimis
Regarding the 295 rears. The tread width is okay but section width might be pushing it a bit too much. Clearance on inside of tyre okay but outside might push tyre bulge past body slightly. Don't want any thing rubbing?

Ian
Old 12-26-2014, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After getting underneath and checking clearances I might have to use 255/60 R15 on rear (27" dia) and 215/70R15 0n front (26.7" dia) so only a .3 " difference dia front to rear. Could use a 225/60R15 on front but has a 27.4" dia so a .4" dia greater than rear. Not sure how this would effect handling?

Ian
Old 12-27-2014, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by itempany View Post
After getting underneath and checking clearances I might have to use 255/60 R15 on rear (27" dia) and 215/70R15 0n front (26.7" dia) so only a .3 " difference dia front to rear. Could use a 225/60R15 on front but has a 27.4" dia so a .4" dia greater than rear. Not sure how this would effect handling?

Ian
225/60/15 are only 25.6" and would probably fit at full lock a lot easier than a 27" tyre.
A 265/50/15 rear (if it would fit your DRB) would match the 225/60/15 height pretty well.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Craig
I agree with you on using the 225/60 tyre. Thats what it has now. Its just trying to use whats available now. It would be much easier if I went the 17" way.....Will see what happens

Ian
Old 12-27-2014, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Windsor 302 stroked to 347
Not Ranked     

Hi Ian hope the car is going well.
I'm just checking, are the front rims smaller? Because you mentioned going 60s on the rear and 70s on the front. If that is the case, the front of the car will ride higher than the rear.
I'm having similar conundrums. I have mickey T's on the rear, 235s and they scrub. Working on getting them set in further by narrowing the rims. I have mickey T's 255 for the rears, but will try getting the rims amended first.
Good luck!!!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

I have the Avons on the Kirkham they were awesome in every aspect took a lot of effort to get them loose, pretty sure they would have the size options you need and from what I priced they weren't that much different in price to the MIckey Thompson.
FatBoy and Zacson like this.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chook..... The rolling dia of 215/70 tyre is 26.7in with a 5.93in sidewall and the 255/60 tyre has a dia of 27.0in with a 6.02in sidewall, at least supposedly. So rear rims should in theory sit slightly higher. The car is going good at moment. Had the cooling system flushed and the fan rewired. Thermatic fan only comes on at idle sometimes and not when driving, so seems to be problem fixed.
Hi Damage..... Like the Avons but up here in Cairns they would be an overkill and under utalized , but would at least look the part.

Ian
Old 12-28-2014, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry, I don't know what "up in Cairns" means with regard to tyres, but you don't need to track your Cobra to get the benefit of the Avon tyres. They are outstanding and look almost as good as the Goodyears.
If "up in Cairns" means the temperatures are cooler, then that is even more cause to fit the Avons in my view. I'm in the UK, which isn't renowned for its high temperatures and the Avons work extremely well at cooler temperatures.

Paul
Old 12-28-2014, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Where is the best place to buy Avons? Australia and overseas?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

The best place in the UK is BMTR in Birmingham, which isn't too far from where they're made.

Paul
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Paul thanks for the info. In regards to "up in Cairns". I am implying that Cairns being a 2 day drive from Brisbane and the lack of track days up this way......Tyres might be an over expense

Ian
Old 12-28-2014, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanycobra View Post
Where is the best place to buy Avons? Australia and overseas?
This firm has a good reputation.
Gordon Leven Motorsport Tyres - Home