Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Kits (Harrison) Ford 302
Not Ranked     
Default Training/Fun without the cost!

As many of you know, I tend to play video games, driving simulators, toys whatever you want to call them. Recently a new simulator has been released called Assetto Corsa and it features the Cobra in it! They have various versions too, based on the 427 street car, 427 race car and a 427 replica. So here is me having a bit of fun driving the 427 replica version at an old Grand Prix track in Tasmania called Longford!

I just think it is pretty cool how close some video games are getting to the real thing these days. Of course, it doesn't match the real thing and there are differences. But I reckon they do work as a training tool for the real thing.

Last edited by Mad94d; 01-21-2015 at 09:11 PM..
Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

How about one of these to go with it Madison

Racing Car Simulator Cockpits
Old 01-21-2015, 11:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

They've got similar ones ( The cockpits) in a place here in Surfer's Paradise....
a bunch of us "kids" went in after a Cobra breakfast one Sunday morning.

We did Bathurst,and a few other well known tracks...
Never been so "Motion sick" in my life.

They seem real...but with all the screens around you, combined with the seat bucking and rocking...the old guts was in a real mess in a short space of time.

And Maddie....imagine those trees/bridges if they were REAL at that speed....
all I kept seeing was places that would "bite" me......

even though it really reminded me of the road out through Beaudesert and Boonah... going out to the A series sprints at Warwick....Lots of fun,with no plod about !!.

Cheers,
Warren.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Great video! Do you blip the throttle yourself on the downshift, or does the game do it automatically?
Old 01-22-2015, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Nice Driving Mads, that thing looks like it handles like a boat!!!
I'm glad ours is a little more responsive than that...
Old 01-22-2015, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Kits (Harrison) Ford 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
How about one of these to go with it Madison

Racing Car Simulator Cockpits
Yeah, they are great simulators. I know that V8 Supercar driver Scott McLaughlin has one and loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
They've got similar ones ( The cockpits) in a place here in Surfer's Paradise....
a bunch of us "kids" went in after a Cobra breakfast one Sunday morning.

We did Bathurst,and a few other well known tracks...
Never been so "Motion sick" in my life.

They seem real...but with all the screens around you, combined with the seat bucking and rocking...the old guts was in a real mess in a short space of time.

And Maddie....imagine those trees/bridges if they were REAL at that speed....
all I kept seeing was places that would "bite" me......

even though it really reminded me of the road out through Beaudesert and Boonah... going out to the A series sprints at Warwick....Lots of fun,with no plod about !!.

Cheers,
Warren.
I'm assuming you are talking about a shop called "Racecentre". The simulators in Sydney I really like, but they don't move very much at all. You can barely even feel it. From what i've seen and heard, the motion platform at the Gold Coast store is different and they move heaps more. So basically, i've heard Sydney store = good, Gold Coast = unrealistic. Bit of a shame really.

Yeah that's the thing about video games Warren. No real consequences for mistakes because after all, it's just a game. However, the lines and driving techniques are still the same as real life and it definitely requires as much concentration which is important. The issue is with racing is that no one really gets to practice it very much due to track availability and the huge cost involved. So sim racing kind of lets you "practice" a lot more and allows you to try new and different lines and techniques to see where you can find more time. Of course there are some exploits in video games that will not work in real life both in driving and setup, but the same goes in real life. The trick is to find the "exploit" in the physics and go for it. For example, in V8 Supercars last year. ALL of the teams were running minimum tyre pressure allowed for race trim (17 PSI from memory). Before that they were running even less (way outside of Dunlop's window).

From the one time I've been to Warwick, yeah the roads do look similar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Great video! Do you blip the throttle yourself on the downshift, or does the game do it automatically?
I was blipping myself and also lifting on upshifts to engage the gear. In some cars the clutch is required on upshifts but it is very rarely required to downshift. So in this video you can see the pedal input on the bottom left and I was basically driving it like an Aussie Racing Car. Lift to go up gears, then left foot brake and blip the throttle to go down gears. I would've been heel and toeing but I was having issues with my clutch pedal when I recorded the video haha.

Last edited by Mad94d; 01-22-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Old 01-22-2015, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Back on again this year...

Longford Revival Festival