Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree20Likes
  • 2 Post By albanycobra
  • 1 Post By leroy17
  • 1 Post By Aussie Mike
  • 3 Post By leroy17
  • 3 Post By leroy17
  • 1 Post By albanycobra
  • 3 Post By BJ's Snake
  • 2 Post By spookypt
  • 1 Post By Wazza
  • 3 Post By Wazza

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Crystal Ball - Older cobras and pricing

With cobra manufacturers and the 2nd hand market experiencing significant change since the GFC and with newer brands like AP, FFR and Backdraft as an example entering the Aussie market I'm curious as to people thoughts on what the current second hand markets prices may do for existing cars like Harrison, RMC, Robnell and the like?

Some have traded in their existing cars to replace with the newer offerings while the current used market pricing seems to have stayed relatively stable except for the higher end priced cars seem to have fallen a little to compete against the NEW Car offerings.

I wondering whether prices in the mid range may fall or if supposed older premium brands like Robnell for example will hold their value.

There's probably no right or wrong answer and I'm just after the communities opinion..

Any thoughts?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

I think an Older version car that has been built well and accurate in detail will always sell for good coin. A good car is a good car.

Problem will be the Manufactures of these older style kits will be feeling the pinch. Why settle for a car with crap fibreglass and dodgy old donor bits from a Cortina or similar when you can have Fibreglass that doesnt need painting, no trips to the wreckers yard looking for a Sigma this or laser that, cursing while you do your knuckles trying to remove old parts only to find they are stuffed...hell I have been there many a time.
deano59 and boxhead like this.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

For what its worth and this is just my thoughts and certainly not there to offend anyone, but I agree with above and that a good car is a good car.

Not keeping stock of all sales but in the last 12 months I seem to recall 2 or 3 Robnells and at least 3 Harrisons which were all good cars being sold in a realitive quick time. The key point on these I feel is the quality of the car.

The quality of build appears to have improved remarkably over the years and certainly even the 're-build' of cars has turned out some stunning examples (a certain orange Summernats winner comes to mind).

As with many I am sure we see the cars on carsales and some which are there month after month and some even year after year. Generally buyers expectations are higher and what was acceptable 10 years ago in reality may only be average now. Buyers know this however sellers may be somewhat blind and led by what they have 'invested' in the car.

For a buyer, there has to be a pashion to drop $50K on a cobra, and it is hard not to compare what else you can buy for $50K. For example an 2006 Audi RS4, 300+kw, AWD, full leather, less that 80K klms and a pure remarkable car with an original price of around $160K+ can be had for the same coin. Chalk and cheese... yep... no question, however it really puts into perspective that a Cobra should be of a certain level of build, fit, finish for the value to stack up.

These purchases are emotional purchases and not rational (regardless on how much we convince outselves that we must have that new $XXXX part).

Local manufacturing has certainly lifted the bar a long way, in reality the 2nd hand market has to meet buyer expectations.

Just my thoughts.
albanycobra likes this.

Last edited by leroy17; 02-04-2015 at 06:10 PM..
Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I agree with you Leroy however one big difference between the Audi and the Cobra is that in another 5 years the Audi is worth $25K where the Cobra is still going for $50K. For many I think it's a case of motoring for free.

A lot of the Harley guys used to go on about buying a Hog riding it for a few years and then selling it for what they paid for it. The entry price is high but there is little depreciation. If anything a Good Cobra may go up in value as it becomes so much more expensive to build a new one. That has to make the choice a little more attractive than buying another exotic.

Cheers
Rog246 likes this.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

its a hard choice to make and for some the dollars will dictate what they can afford there are quite a few 50 g cars for sale some are very nice cars and some or pieces of crap despite there owners thinking there worth a lot more . I found a really nice cobra very low ks paint and trim was excellent nice wheels but apon further investigation it turned out it was built on a Toyota crown chassis and not what I wanted .
after looking and enquiring after more cars and been let down once when I thought I had a deal I decided I needed to up the stakes and look further afield I decided to fly up to absoulute pace and the rest is history they say .
I had been down the track like so many on here and had bought a kit and then had to hunt thru wreckers to chase bits up then recon them things like getting doors to hang right was a pain in the arse and many people abandon there projects about 1/2 thru due to the expense and or just lose interest.
I vow and declared I would never buy a kit ever again but after looking and not finding something that suited me it become apparent that one of these lego kits as you call them was the way to go . the advantages' are many no scrounging around for parts / bad panels that are hard to fit and make fit / degreasing and getting drive shafts cut too suit ie jag compare that to almost every thing comes with the kit parts are clean quicker building time more chance of someone nearby building the same kit to help each other .

your other choice is too buy a older car that's been neglected and you can buy at a reasonable price and refurnish it yourself to how you like it its all up too you and what everway you go I hope you end with the car of your dreams .
cheers dean
Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, you are 100% right with the depreciation and this was also covered in the video that was circulating in the past few weeks where one of the builders in the US was talking along the lines that an 'expensive' cobra will be a better investment that the cheapest 'insert new car model' available due to the minimal depreciation.

For what its worth I would rather be driving a Cobra and keep my depreciation money for other things.
deano59, albanycobra and Rog246 like this.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting points of view. What will add to the interesting part even more is when a few of the aforementioned brands get sold on the 2nd hand market.

Certainly Superformance for example maintains a higher resale value than local cars but not as many of these have changed hands. I can't really see Backdraft getting too much rubber to the road out here but the others seemingly are turning over some numbers.

GT40's are a little different relating to the number of manufacturers but again it will be interesting to see resale values of the newer brands.

I'm still a little unsure as to the market as some sellers are still holding out for fairly high numbers and I'm thinking as newer branded cars come onto the market the sellers may be keener to part considering the competition.

There's a cobra I'm keen to buy but as yet can't agree on price so I'm waiting it out or I'll buy something else.

Spookypt
Old 02-04-2015, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think early in the piece Pace replicas will sell for big dollars as there are not any used cars yet ,so there will be a rush initially. then the price will settle maybe a little higher than the older versions as Pace have alloy mono chassis and quality production techniques. I also think alot of people will look at old versions then discover Pace and build. The Pace manual is very very detailed so the average Guy can screw one together and get a great result.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Interesting points of view. What will add to the interesting part even more is when a few of the aforementioned brands get sold on the 2nd hand market.

Certainly Superformance for example maintains a higher resale value than local cars but not as many of these have changed hands. I can't really see Backdraft getting too much rubber to the road out here but the others seemingly are turning over some numbers.

GT40's are a little different relating to the number of manufacturers but again it will be interesting to see resale values of the newer brands.

I'm still a little unsure as to the market as some sellers are still holding out for fairly high numbers and I'm thinking as newer branded cars come onto the market the sellers may be keener to part considering the competition.

There's a cobra I'm keen to buy but as yet can't agree on price so I'm waiting it out or I'll buy something else.

Spookypt
Here ya go spook...

One owner....

only driven to church on a Sunday...

Three of these pics taken last Saturday...so still all in one piece...and I'll give it a quick polish before delivery.

I'll wait for the call...lol

Cheers,
Warren
Old 02-05-2015, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pics of that car and seeing that car never get old.

Freeking awesome.
mate, Wazza and Rog246 like this.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice car....
Wazza likes this.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Colour is a bit dated..... looks better on a Daytona.
Just sayin'
boxhead, Gav and Wazza like this.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BJ your right. Battle ship grey primer isn't my preferred colour choice either but when I get to wazz's age in 40 + years or so that colour may very well become more appealing lol xo
Gav and Wazza like this.

Last edited by spookypt; 02-05-2015 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2015, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had to rub and rub and rub and.....
to get that bloody primer to shine like that...

It matches my hair !!
boxhead likes this.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Truth be told Wazz the other car I was considering (which isn't a cobra) was bloody GREY!!! Urgh
Old 02-05-2015, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Front number plate position not vertical and hence non-compliant. Would not buy.

Who am I kidding...

Treeve
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Truth be told Wazz the other car I was considering (which isn't a cobra) was bloody GREY!!! Urgh

As they say on THE BLOCK spook...that colour is "On Trend"..

It's like you've renamed my colour to "Bloody Grey"...

Bit like at home when I curse as I trip over the "F#*KEN CAT"...and Joanne always corrects me with...
"You've got the name wrong..It's a BURMESE"
Cheers,
Warren
Old 02-06-2015, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Front number plate position not vertical and hence non-compliant. Would not buy.

Who am I kidding...

Treeve
What's the rules on number plates right now. ?Mine is on a spring loaded hinge and lays down whilst moving but stands up when slowing or stopped.
I know that the new cameras are reading plates so what angle is acceptable ?