Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree25Likes
  • 13 Post By Tenrocca
  • 8 Post By Donunder
  • 3 Post By Wazza
  • 1 Post By tomcat racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Bathurst 12 hour

I took a run up to Bathurst for the 12hr over the weekend. I grew up in Bathurst and saw enough 1000's to last a lifetime so haven't gone in years. My parents still live up there and dad was at me to bring the cobra up so I took my first run over the mountains.

Absolutely beautiful drive up on Saturday arvo. Lots of very nice cars on the road (saw 2 Mclarens on the way up and got passed by one having a lot of fun on the way back, lots of Ferraris and lambos etc). The way the event is all set up and run I thought was great. Not at all crowded very relaxed atmosphere, and I would say a much more "refined" crowd to what I was used to for the V8's.

You could literally drive onto the spectator bank at Murray's corner and watch the race from the drivers seat.

Too many pace cars (bit like this forum these days ) so was very stop start, but saw a lot of action in the time we were there. I will be back next year a little better prepared and go for the whole weekend I think.

A few pics below:

The original Cornett Aluminah on Murray's corner:

Nice old Porsche - the trunk on the back was the owners dads. Going by his age it may have come over on the first fleet:

Nice shady spot on the chase - not sure if we were allowed to sit here but there wasnt anyone in the room!

I think these guys were working on the "that'll buff right out..." theory. Thats Skippy they are trying to wash off - happened on the first lap.

I dont think this Maclaren saw much action:

Not a good spot for a spin:

boxhead, BJ's Snake, mate and 10 others like this.

Last edited by Tenrocca; 02-08-2015 at 01:57 AM..
Old 02-08-2015, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great pics Tenrocca. How good must it have been to be able to watch those beautiful cars in such a relaxed and uncrowded setting.

The race was marred by the number of safety car incidents. Did I hear it was a record for the number of stoppages and also the second fewest laps completed in the history of the race? Nevertheless the finish was a cracker. Pity the Bentley couldn't hold on.

It was interesting to hear that the V8 Supercars are slightly quicker down Conrod but the GTs are so much faster from the Cutting to Forrest Elbow, accounting for their 5-6 seconds quicker laps. At one stage today the first sixteen cars were all under the V8 lap record.

I was disappointed but not particularly surprised at the dog-in-the-manger stance taken by the V8 heirarchy and Channel 10 in the lengths they went to to prevent Lowndes Kelly and Van Gisbergen (and probably others) from competing at Bathurst. These guys were so keen to drive that they were prepared to do the morning test then chopper out to Bathurst so they could do the middle stint of the race and then come back for the afternoon test session. Sure, I get the corporate BS that goes on between competing TV channels but to firstly deliberately set the V8 testing date to clash with the 12 Hour and then to change testing from a one to a two day event and then to insist that all V8 drivers be in attendance at Eastern Creek for the entire weekend was in my mind just pathetic. Why couldn't the one day format (Saturday) have been adhered to and then let our guys run the 12 Hour on the Sunday? Yes I know it was on rival Channel 7, but .... so what?

Our V8 drivers are big fish in a small pond. They would have loved the opportunity of competing in an international endurance event, piloting world class machinery for a change against some of the finest drivers in the world, testing themselves on the world stage infront of a huge international TV audience, but because of the deplorable approach of the V8 and Channel 10 honchos they were denied the chance. Shane Van Gisbergen's drive in the McLaren last year was nothing short of sensational, Craig Lowndes regularly competes at Le Mans, and how good would it be to see Jamie Whincup at the mountain in one of the Aston Martins or R8s? A V8 test day at Eastern Creek or the opening round of the world endurance series, the Bathurst 12 Hour GT race? I know where I'd rather be! Let's hope the small minded V8 and Channel 10 mob can grow up a bit for next year. As fans we deserve to have our best drivers out there mixing it with the big boys!
deano59, Chris L, mate and 5 others like this.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Too many pace cars (bit like this forum these days ) so was very stop start, but saw a lot of action in the time we were there. I will be back next year a little better prepared and go for the whole weekend I think.

Ooooh...Nice one !!

A CLASSIC.

I can't help it ,if there's a REVIVAL happening towards the ABSOLUTE PACE cars.

That looked like you had a brilliant day out...and bonus...no big crowds, and traffic jams....Nice one !

Cheers.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default 12 Hour

Tenrocca,

The 12 Hour is a fantastic event, I went in 91/92 and more recently

in 2011/12/13 I missed this year as Im in the middle of a reno.

The CROWD is certainly more educated than the traditional 1000k

race.

In 2012 we had dinner @ The Church (great pub in Bathurst) and met

CL/Luffy and F1 driver Mika Salo, all approachable and having a red with dinner

Maybe I will take teh Cobra up next year.........

Stiffy
Old 02-09-2015, 02:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

The tv coverage at the very end of the race for positions 2 3 4 was pathetic, the placegetters changed dramaticly on pit lane and none of it caught on film, the audi came from 4th to second and the bently second to fourth after the last corner, thats where the real race was and seven was caught with its pants down and they knew it.
boxhead likes this.