Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Gav
  • 1 Post By Lexluther
  • 1 Post By deano59
  • 2 Post By dadndave
  • 1 Post By Lexluther

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2015, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Classic Glass 96 Cobra. Anything fundamental I should know?

I am interested in purchasing a Cobra already built and registered in my state of SA. I'm at that 'age' and as a recent cancer survivor after last year in treatment I am feelin' the need... for something very cathardic... I live at the base of the freeway and to the Eagle... Croweaters know where and why

Last year gave me plenty of time to think what I REALLY wanted. Big Block and manual were non negotiable. I've had a pretty long history with modified cars including driving a model A roadster with no roof for 5 years as my only car rain hail or shine... I've had the joy and reality of a couple of big block cars, one with a 5 speed hence my desire for an AC to be likewise.

So, in all my googling and trawling NOT trolling... All I can find in reference to Classic Glass's setup was the chassis was ladder bar (via a photo), jag f/r BUT the body was 'glued' to the pan? Can someone elaborate on that? Otherwise the 100mm (I'm vertically inclined and had to drive my model A in socks) > and intrusion bars all sounds good?

I understand it's a kit car, it will at best have a honeymoon and then I'll be pulling bits off, making bits, hoarding bits, swearing, cursing etc...

BUT if there is a consensus that these were fundamentally flawed it could save me some unnecessary heartache!

Thankyou in advance for taking the time to read this and any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Peter Culley.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I would probably look at a few cars before deciding what it is that you want.
I know a SA car would be convenient, but don't buy the first one you see, have a good look around.

But to answer you question, a classic glass car is a relatively popular car, with many well finished examples registered and on the road.
All kit cars have negatives, it just depends on what you want to do with it.
Do you want a cruiser or a racer?

Have fun
Gav
Peter C likes this.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Peter PM sent
Peter C likes this.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

I helped a mate build a classic car from enzo and dominic I actually used to work for them on there market garden long before they started building the cobras and I had left before they started them .
my mate hade a fair bit of trouble with his some of the points where the nose cone area was out of shape and had to be sent elsewhere to be rectified it took a lot of cutting and redoing to get it right . the thickness of the fibreglass varied from 1/2 thick to almost paper thin in some areas and more glass had to be laid in . the wheels seemed to sit further back in the gaurds on one side than the other and no amount of tweaking ever got it perfect in the end .
but saying that the car got completed and on the road and drove quite nice his was the extended version and it was this car that got my interest and into my first cobra his was painted british racing green with gold stripes and after a fer yrs of ownership it was sold to someone in the mid north of south aust and I lost track of it after that .
the boys from classic glass where great market gardeners car builders they relied on out soucing a lot of there stuff but I do recall they had a full time worker doing the cars his name escapes me at the moment , I really should drop in and see enzo and dominic as they only live down the road . the last time I was there they had a cobra body hanging from the rafters of one of there sheds that's all they had left I was told , there was plenty of classic glass kits sold and they still turn up from time to time and some of them were done to quite a high standard by the respective builders of there kits .
cheers dean
Peter C likes this.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Peter,
I've a 91 Classic Glass, had it for the last 8 years and have had no problems with the construction. A few items from the original build have been replaced, mainly due to wear and tear ( racetrack), From what I've heard there were around 10-12 built in this period, all the same visually ( aubergine metallic paint, cream leather interior and wire wheels ( skinny!). Chassis was built by Ian Spry. The additional length allowed for seat track movement to cater for tall and shorter drivers
Just been through a major facelift and now looks same as the 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra, Princess/Viking Blue, black interior, golden yellow team strip and white rims.
A good source of info is Doug Pearce from the Victorian Club.
Tenrocca and Peter C like this.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Send me a PM if you want more info etc.

Dave
Old 02-16-2015, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick response! Really appreciate your thoughts and a reminder to tread carefully so I do not get bit. (I apologise for that pun.)

Definititely a cruiser although I would love to do the Classic Adelaide now its coming back but I'd be a social driver and bore spectators stupid...
Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Multiple post

Last edited by Peter C; 02-16-2015 at 01:01 AM..
Old 02-16-2015, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will try your E-mail
Peter C likes this.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndave View Post
Just been through a major facelift and now looks same as the 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra, Princess/Viking Blue, black interior, golden yellow team strip and white rims.
I for one love the new look of your car. Put up a pic if you have one handy.